Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Must-Haves Baby Addition

I've read a lot of recent blog posts about baby items that they strongly recommended or couldn't live without. So that got me to thinking...what did I find to be a must-have as a first-time mom? So here's my list (whether you really wanted to know or not :)

1) Lansinoh Lanolin Cream-This was definitely a life saver for me. I really thought I would die after every time I breast fed. Thankfully this cream helped me through the first month of agony until my breasts were used to it. Don't listen to what the books say...that it would only hurt if your baby was latching on incorrectly. WRONG...it hurts like heck for the first few weeks!

2) Gilligan & O’Malley Nursing Bras-I ordered these online from Target and must say that I have been pretty pleased with them. Some of those nursing bras are so ugly and give you what I call "unaboob." This one doesn't have an under wire (which you definitely don't want while nursing), but it still gives you a normal bra shape so you can actually wear them under clothes and outside the house.

3) Tommee Tippee Bottles- I was very worried about starting Nolan on a bottle and then have him not want to direct breastfeed. These bottles are supposed to be a slower flow and similar to a breast. Nolan had no problem going from the breast to the bottle or vice versa. I really like these bottles and highly recommend them for anyone even if you aren't breastfeeding. They are really easy to hold because they are short and wide.

4) NUK Pacifiers- I was so scared to use a pacifier all due to being told that the baby could have "nipple confusion." We held out for 3 weeks until I finally decided that Nolan needed a some soothing that only a pacifier can bring. My mother-in-law had bought these NUK pacifiers, and they were a huge hit. We had no confusion, and it helped mommy to not be a human pacifier. I really liked the NUK brand due to the fact they go up towards the top roof of the baby's mouth which is also supposed to be the same as when they are breastfeeding. I do own some other pacifiers that are just straight, and they always end up falling out a lot easier.

5) Cradle & Lamb Swing- I didn't own a swing at first. I thought man I won't spend that kind of money on that nor do I want to take up precious space in my house. Well after some convincing from a few friends who saw I needed some relief from a baby that didn't want to be put down I finally purchased this one. I thought this swing better do a song and dance for the money. Well at first I couldn't put Nolan in the swing without him absolutely losing it. I'm like what a waste of money...I thought this swing was supposed to be a miracle worker. Then one day...it happened. He fell asleep in the swing! After that day, this swing became my best friend. It allowed me to put my baby down without him crying. That is when I knew that this swing was completely worth its weight in gold.

So there's my list...I have many more items I could add but this post is getting too long for my taste. Just some food for thought for those who might be in the market for these items!


8 comments:

  1. I didn't ever use the nipple cream, but yes, breastfeeding hurts in the beginning, no matter what!

    We have that same swing, and love it!

    Thanks for sharing your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids never took to pacifiers - tried at least 6 types on them. We have NUK here in Malaysia, but not sure if those pacifiers are available here. Good info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, I'm just going to file this away under "future useful information". See? I'll be like some kind of baby idiot savant.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of doing one of these too. And thanks for the nursing bra rec! We don't have a Target nearby (what!) but I might order one to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great post and great advice for any new momma or momma-to-be!!! We sadly just put Addie's swing away last weekend (she hadn't used it in awhile but I was having trouble parting ways with it) but it was GREAT - she loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would add the Miracle Blanket to that list. We couldn't survive without it! And I'm with you on #1 & 2. Girl I feel your pain on #1. Yes it was pure agony. I shudder thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love our swing (we have an earlier edition of the same swing)! I got sad every time I had to put it away because the boys got to big for it.
    Here are a couple more uses for lansinoh: 1) it also makes a great diaper cream (stays on much better than a&D or desitin and is gentler), and 2) (this sounds weird, but I LOVE it) it is the best lip balm EVER. Your lips will look beautiful...just use a tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta agree on the lansinoh! I loved their products! With my second, I also discovered the gel pads that feel cool against the nipple.... loved them!

    I also loved my baby sling. Especially with my second- having my hands free to deal with my first born or being able to wear my baby and even nurse discreetly while walking around Target was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips