Monday, May 23, 2011

There Is No Place Like Home

We had a successful trip to my parents' house this weekend without any major meltdowns or traffic issues. We actually even maneuvered around a wreck on the interstate by catching it early enough so that we took an exit to get off on a side road. Crisis averted! Here are a few things I learned while I traveled with my husband and 7 month old:

*Entertaining a baby in a car for almot 2 hours is E-X-H-A-U-S-T-I-N-G! Luckily it distracted little one from meltdowns...or the fact that he is so OVER the carseat.

*I am so glad that baby boy has his own room. I know, I know he was actually in our room for months in his pack'n'play. It's actually hard to remember those days which is crazy since it wasn't that long ago. When we go traveling, and we stay in the same room with him I hear every move or moan he makes. Not to mention, I am afraid to move in fear that the bed will creak. Do not wake the monster!

*Speaking of beds...boy do I miss my own bed. There is nothing like coming home to my own bed and pillows. I sleep like a rock that first night home. I think Nolan felt the same way...he missed stretching out his crib. In the pack'n'play he kept pushing on the sides or scratching on the sides making an annoying sound that woke me and him up.

*Visiting family is not relaxing for me. I know that sounds crazy and believe me I am actually a really laid back person. However, I just find myself worrying about little boy and if he is going to have a meltdown because he hasn't had a nap and the fact that my mom just keeps passing him to person to person. Thankfully, he was a good sport and used his baby charm on them all. I did have to interrupt a few times because I knew if that boy didn't get a nap we would all pay for it later. Once that little whine starts you better listen and put him down unless you want to see the monster.

*My house is WAY too quiet without my dogs. My in-laws are actually watching our two fur babies, and it just doesn't seem right when they are not here. Our home would not be complete without those rascals!

*Why do you have to pack so much stuff for something that is only 16.5 lbs? It seems ridiculous that you have to pack so much stuff for such a small being.

Overall it was a good trip, but I am glad to be home and back to normalcy. Or whatever you call life with a teething 7 month old. Happy Monday...just think it's Memorial Day Weekend in a few days!

18 comments:

  1. I hear you on the whole visiting family isn't relaxing... especially when you have to pack for the apocalypse. ;)

    Hope you had a great weekend as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness we have a long weekend coming up! I'm glad you had a successful car trip, and you're back home in your own bed safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothy was onto something..."There's no place like home!" Traveling is fun, but exhausting and it always makes me appreciate HOME so much!!!! Happy to hear you had a good trip. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of the above! But it sure does make us appreciate "home" more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had a good trip!! My parents live 12 hours away and my in- laws live 8 hours away. I am NOT looking forward to those potential "vacations" with a baby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, one of the best parts of going on a get-a-way is coming home again. Glad you made it home to your own bed without incident.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trips home can always be a little tough. It's always nice when you get home and can have your own routine again. Get some rest this week and good luck with the teething.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your exhaustion reading this. We usually time our travels according to our kids' nap time so that we don't have to entertain them in the car. My kids are still co-sleeping with us (I know, kick me) so I'm with you about being afraid the bed might creak! Haha..good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are leaving on our 11 day road trip on July 1 with our 2 year old and then almost 9 month old. Wish us luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally feel ya! Babies require SO much stuff, and you're always worried about their environment, comfort, sleep schedule, etc etc etc cause you know if somethings not right, you're going to have a cranky pants on your hands and no one likes that!

    Glad the weekend went well though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Traveling with kids takes a lot of work. And I get stressed out visiting my family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Traveling with kids takes a lot of work. And I get stressed out visiting my family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your comments. So true. Now that KLV is nearing 2.5 yrs I am just starting to look forward to trips with her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have totally been there. it can be exhausting! we are taking our little guy back home to michigan this summer and i'm tired just thinking about it. nobody will get that he needs to take a nap but us - nobody will remember that he needs to stick to his schedule they'll just be overjoyed that he's there and lose all track of common baby sense. it's so good but so exhausting for the parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Visiting family isn't relaxing for anyone. I honestly think the government should consider family vacations to be worthy of some sort of family leave. For which we would be paid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you're home and back in your bed! Sounds like overall it was a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you guys had a good trip but I totally agree that there is something about being away from home that can be exhausting!!! Hope you guys are having a great week:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips