Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Wal-Mart Chronicles Continue...

If you read this earlier post, you would have learned how I stood in line and watched a guy return used ground beef to Wal-Mart a few months ago. I used to go to Wal-Mart to do my grocery shopping because it was the cheapest, and the fact you can buy anything there from milk to wall paint. Anyhow, once I had my little boy I realized it was much harder to navigate through the huge Wal-Mart not to mention there seems to always be ZERO lanes open, and every employee seems to feel the need to tell me how they hate their job. Or maybe it was the time I was in the baby section that a lady was wearing no shoes and walking through the store calling for her daughter that made me decide maybe I should start shopping elsewhere. So now I rarely go unless I need bigger household items. Today I ventured to our local Wal-Mart to purchase Tide Original Powder detergent to wash my cloth diapers and to buy shrimp. Now I know that might seem weird but the Kroger I shop at has the highest prices on the same shrimp I can get at Wal-Mart for half price. I literally have been putting my recipe off due to the fact that I needed to go to Wal-Mart to get shrimp. As I am walking by an employee, I hear his walkie-talkie and a lady is asking if any female managers spoke with a guy about returning a certain item. What is this item you ask? It's MEAT! What are the odds that I would experience this for a second time?! I had to walk past the customer service to see if the same guy was there but alas I was disappointed. How crazy would that be?

Another strange thing I observed while I was in the check out line was a lady purchasing cases and cases of Mountain Dew. Don't get me wrong I like an occasional Mountain Dew, and my mom drinks Diet Mountain Dew on a regular basis but never ever has either of us purchased cases and cases of it. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever purchased a case of anything. Then that got me to thinking about the Dateline or 20/20 show I saw about the people in the Appalachian Mountains. Apparently all the families live on Mountain Dew, and they seriously give their babies the drink in their baby bottles! Can you imagine? Talk about kids bouncing off the walls with all that caffeine intake! The show even said that by age 20 that almost all the kids have lost all their teeth because they drink too much of it. The dentist even regularly asks each kid if they drink Mountain Dew and how many a day. I guess after you've had the stuff since day one of your life you get addicted. Poor kids!

7 comments:

  1. Give up, go somewhere else. It's not worth the stress lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - I saw that same special about Mountain Dew and those poor kids in Applachia - matter of fact, I was talking to a co-worker about that the other day - too funny!! I gave up on Wal-Mart when I was there around midnight one night(in college for sorority stuff) and I saw several people there dragging toddlers through the store - really, midnight and your kid is at Wal-Mart?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes saving money is not worth loosing your mind. Also having worked in fundraising for abused kids, 2 year olds would have black teeth from all the crapola their parents gave them. In some cultures its a sign of wealth and others it's a sign of soda being the cheapest around. The world is crazy, simply crazy! Thanks for stopping by today. LOVED your comment...just be me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We only have two grocery chains in our town - Wal-Mart & a much higher priced, locally owned one. I am notoriously cheap, so I normally do the bulk of my shopping at Wal-Mart or Sam's and HATE it. But we don't have the budget to double our grocery spending to shop at the other store, so we only go there for "I've gotten have this RIGHT NOW!" items. But your story about the meat is making me rethink where I shop. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah you definitely get to see all kinds of people at Wal-Mart...at one point my husband and I kept noticing really creepy middle aged men by themselves...it start to creep me out! Needless to say I don't go very often!
    Can you imagine telling your peditrician you give your baby Mt Dew? Too crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I avoid Wal-Mart at all costs. That store just bothers me. I can't imagine returning used ground beef and giving my kids Mountain Dew. Craziness all around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a theory: The guy returning the meat was the other guy's brother. They have a scam going of how to cheat Walmart out of beef. They do it on a weekly basis and thinks no one remembers them. Little do they know, everyone remembers when people return tubes of meat.

    As for the lady, with no shoes looking for her kid, I saw another post today that reminds me of this.
    http://www.cookingupafamily.com/home/2011/4/8/friday-musings.html
    It's not my blog, but I thought the first picture was really funny.

    I'm visiting from the Ultimate Blog Party.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips