Hopefully I will soon learn how to put my strengths to good use...but until then I will just be trying things/activities out hoping for the best! (While also trying to keep this guy alive HA HA!)
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
The New Stay at Home Mom...Surprise It's Me!
When I talk to people I haven't spoken with in awhile, they are surprised to hear that I am a stay at home mom. You could have probably called me a workaholic when I did work my financial management position. I've pretty much always been that way since high school really. I was in all the clubs, sports, and extracurricular activities, and this continued into college with my involvement in campus organizations and joining a sorority. So when I got my "real job" I just transferred this energy and effort to my professional career. Now that my new profession is SAHM I am going to have to find new ways to utilize and fulfill this part of my personality. I've always had a strong work ethic when it came to my classes or later in my professional job...so now I am wondering how to I do this with my new role? I'm not super creative so I feel like that is a huge MINUS in the housewife department. I prepare decent meals, but I need a recipe and definitely not born with the natural knack of being a great cook. I'm learning to garden and landscape but my thumb is definitely not green. You could almost say I feel lost in this new job environment because my skills were more in managing people and getting sales results or getting straight A's when I was I school. I just haven't quite figured out where these skills fit into my new life. Now I do LOVE a To-Do List, and I'm pretty good about knocking things off that list similar to when I was working. I love handling our finances and trying to make sure we are saving/investing as much as we can. I've recently joined our local Stroller Strides to keep fit and to meet other moms since most of my local friends do not have kids. I am hoping once Nolan gets a little older to take him to the zoo, museums, the park, and to do little craft projects.
Labels:
Motherhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I liken being a SAHM to running a circus. Or just a really good juggler. Being organized helps, but being too rigid makes you feel like a failure if things don't go as planned. Good luck to you in your adventure of finding your niche as a SAHM!!!! And thanks for following at LYLAS.
ReplyDeleteElle
http://LYLASandCo.com
I swear I could have written this post myself. I worked for over 10 years before deciding to quit once and for all. And this was BEFORE the baby. Before I got pregnant actually. Though I did get knocked up pretty much as soon as I stepped out of my office for the last time haha.
ReplyDeleteSo I had a little practice staying at home. Or so I thought. Obviously being pregnant is er, far from looking after a little one. I actually thought it'd be easy peasy and oh-goodness-what-am-I-going-to-do-with-all-my-free-time? Then the baby arrived.
As he grew older, I got more confident with juggling him, his needs and my need to connect with adults and the outside world. It doesn't get easier but it gets more fun! And when your little guy is older, you'll definitely have a great time taking him out! Good luck!
I was the same way when I first became a SAHM. It is a big adjustment but I am still in school so that takes up a lot of my time. You will get the hang of it over time.
ReplyDeleteWhen you find your craft making skills let me know how you found them. haha At least you scrapbook! Remember GW at Sarah's when you all tortured me into making my only one!
ReplyDeleteBeth I will let you know when I find those skills and pass them on to you. Yes we did make you scrapbook and you hated every moment of it LOL! Thanks everyone for your confidence in my "mommy" skills. Hopefully my son will turn out right :)
ReplyDeleteWho cares if you're not a super cook or crafty. You are a wonderful Mom and wife and I'm better Rob tells you that all the time.
ReplyDelete