Monday, April 18, 2011

Cloth Diapers-Part 2

My husband and I chose to do cloth diapers because they were the most affordable diaper route. We have a practical outlook on our spending, so anytime we can save money we jump on it! I must say so far Nolan has been pretty cheap since we use cloth diapers, he is breastfed, and now I am starting the process of making my own baby food. Believe me I know the expenses will catch up to me once he gets older. In my previous post, I talked about how I used prefolds. Prefolds are the most inexpensive way to have cloth diapers. Now I want to talk about the fancier type of cloth diapers. We decided to try two different types of cloth diapers: BumGenius and FuzziBunz. On our original purchase, we decided to get the one size fit all type so that we can use them throughout the whole diaper phase. Now when he was a newborn, these swallowed him so I just used the prefolds. Once he got a little bigger, I was able to adjust the sizes on these one size diapers to fit him. At first, I didn't like the BumGenius 4.0 due to the bulk of the insert. Then I changed it out with the extra insert that came with my FuzziBunz, and it fit much better. I strongly suggest using "pocket diapers" because you can stuff as many inserts into the diaper as you need especially for outings, naptime, or at night. I have heard that the all-in-ones take forever to dry because there is no insert to take out since it is all sewn together. We have no problem with the BumGenius 4.0 leaking, but I do see occasional wet spots from the FuzziBunz one size around the legs because little Nolan has skinny legs. However, the FuzziBunz have leg and waist adjustments built into the diaper so that can help adjust to the size of your baby. The BumGenius just has snaps that you adjust on the outside of the diaper. If you like a trimmer fit, I strongly suggest the FuzziBunz Perfect Size diapers. On Black Friday last year, I bought 3 size smalls for a great deal. Currently Nolan can still wear these, but he will be moving up to size medium in a month probably. Here is the BumGenius 4.0: FuzziBunz:
Here is a typical diaper day schedule for me:

  • Change out overnight diaper (FuzziBunz or BumGenius double stuffed with 2 inserts)
  • Put on prefold with a cover
  • Change out for naptime diaper (FuzziBunz or BumGenius sometimes 1 or 2 inserts)
  • After naptime diaper, put on prefold with cover
  • Change prefold and cover to another one
  • Change to naptime diaper (FuzziBunz or BumGenius 1 or 2 inserts
  • After naptime diaper, put on prefold with cover
  • Change prefold and cover to another one
  • Put on nighttime diaper (FuzziBunz or BumGenius double stuffed with 2 inserts

Now obviously sometimes we could use less or more diapers depending on the day. Nolan is a heavy wetter so I do change him quite often. I love the prefolds because they are inexpensive however they don't wick away from the skin like the fancier cloth diapers, so I usually don't leave him in one of those too long. I own 24 prefolds, 3 size small perfect fit FuzziBunz, 3 BumGenius 4.o, and 2 one size FuzziBunz. I do not come anywhere close to using all the prefolds anymore now that he is older. I could probably go 3 days without washing his diapers, but I don't due to them getting yucky. At his age, I would suggest purchasing 12 prefolds and then 8-10 fancier cloth diapers of your choice. You could probably get away with less than that especially if your baby isn't a huge wetter, but it's nice to have the options.

We really love using cloth diapers and strongly recommend it. It can save you $2k-$3k or possibly more if you use them for multiple kids. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

21 comments:

  1. Ok, I plan on cloth diapering- you know for the kid I think I'm not ready to have, lol- and I am definitely getting some of the BumGenius 4.0. Mostly, because that is the funniest diaper name- EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there were so many different options for cloth diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post - thank you so much for sharing!!! You are so brave with the prefolds - we took the easy route with the AIOs (maybe next one we'll try some of the pockets):) Hope you're having a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's crazy how much you can save by using cloth instead! they have come a long way since the old school cloth diapers! thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOOD for you for using cloth diapers!! Part of me wishes that I did....but I just really can't see myself washing them. Ugh. I know, I should just get over it and do it. Everyone I know that cloth diapers thinks it's amazing.

    Thanks for sharing your experiences with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I probably would have gone the cloth diaper route if I was brave enough. haha. I think it's amazing how much you can save by doing cloth! Good job momma!
    By the way, you have such a cute model!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that really is a lot of savings!

    We used disposables. B/c I'm lazy. I also claim that is why I breastfed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wanted to do cloth. My oldest is now potty trained but I have thought of switching to these for my youngest. Great info!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elena-you should definitely give it a try! With the new ones it is super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought some Bum Genius 4.0 diapers and am excited to give them a try. I hear they contain "stuff" better than the disposables. I have a violent pooper so I needed a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'm a cloth diapering mama too! bum genius and fuzzibunz are my favorites. i also use a Philippine made pocket nappy (next9baby) that are up to par with FB's quality. I find stuffing inserts very therapeutic! Heh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm nowhere near having a child yet but, I've always been interested in using cloth diapers. My man seems to think they are disgusting and will "get poop in the washing system" and be hard to clean. This was a very helpful post, though!

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grrr. My Handsome wouldn't let me buy cloth diapers because he said they were a pain to wash etc... I spent about R14400 on disposable diapers for three years. I am fuming... just a little - that's our annual holiday if we'd gone cloth diapers and not disposable.

    In from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bum genius and fuzzy buns? The names alone are too cute. And they're so cute! When I used cloth diapers they were white and rubber pants that went over them were the things that were cute. Looks like cloth diapers have seen a lot of improvement - and your diaper schedule alone is dizzying. Adorable little model too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look pretty cool. Twenty-one or so years ago, when I had my first baby, there really wasn't a lot out there in the cloth diapering realm. We used some, but mostly disposable. My husband has OCD and I just couldn't get him to buy into the cloth diaper idea permanently. But there's nothing better than cloth when your child has a diaper rash.

    Good for you on the cloth diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used BumGenius 3.0 on my youngest and really liked them. I, though, didn't start using them until the early "poop-every-hour" phase was past. I used the same BG's from start until she was potty trained right at 2 yrs. I wish I had used them for my 1st 3, too. I am shocked to think how much money I could've saved if I had bought a bunch and re-used them on all 4 of my kiddos. Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could have saved so much money if I would have done that. Luckily, I'm potty training this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Saying hi from SITS! My mom did "old school" cloth diapers for me when I was a baby. She and my father saved so much $$ doing it! Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Im here from SITS. Happy SITS day! I have two older children, ages 15 and 12. I used regular diapers with them. However, my entire life has changed in that period of time, including my outlook on budgeting and also environmental and chemical concerns. I am about to give birth this next month, and we have chosed to go with cloth diapers, which I'm sure will be an adventure, but we are up for it and excited! We have prefolds as well as diaper covers, Thirsties brand. Bless! Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hadn't thought about cloth diapering. We are looking into adopting and I am starting to read all sorts of mommy blogs. Thanks for the good advice. Also, I'm visiting from SITS! Congrats on the feature.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great Post !!! And wonderful photo of you and your baby on your home page. He is adorable and you have a beautiful smile.
    Hannah P.S.
    Join the fun, submit a cute photo or funny photo to my website contest. Then encourage your friends to vote and watch the results to see how many viewers vote for your photo. NO entry fee. $2,000 of prizes annually. www.FunnyPhotosContest.com.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips