Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Two Under Two-Four Weeks In

Today I have officially been a mother of two for four weeks.  And let me tell you, I think they have been the hardest of my life.  If the baby isn't crying, well then the toddler is crying.  It's enough to make you go batty.  I can't tell you how many times I hear the toddler say the word, "go" and "car" a million times a day because honestly he gets bored at being at home.  No matter how much I play with him eventually he just needs a change a scenery.  Which is precisely the reason I signed him up for Mother's Day Out.  Except for one tiny detail---he doesn't want to go and be there without mommy.  I'm sure it's a combination of his age, a new place, and a new baby that is causing his anxiety about being left at MDO, but I know how much he needs it.  He needs the activity in his life that I just can't provide at the moment.  I'm doing my best to go to play dates, book readings, and any event that I can manage with juggling two little people.  But I can only do so much. 

My husband has really helped a lot...taking Nolan with him when he runs errands, taking him to the park, or just a ride in the car.  However, Nolan has become super clingy to mommy due to the new things going on in his life.  Last night I put him down for bed...he even said he was tired and ready.  However about 10 minutes in he began crying hysterically.  After I talked to him, then my husband, then me again I asked him if he wanted me to rock him and if he would go to bed after that.  He said a sweet yes...and I rocked him and this 32 pound boy fell asleep in my arms.  It was the sweetest and saddest moment...knowing my once baby boy just needs some reassurance with all the changes in his life. 

Life is hard right now.  I think motherhood is the hardest job in the world, and if we all survive we deserve a medal.  Don't you think so?


28 comments:

  1. oh bless your heart! I bet you are having a hard time knowing that Nolan is anxious. This post makes me terrified, ha! That is so sweet that he fell asleep in your arms though, I bet you just melted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally think a medal is in order. I love that he fell asleep in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had two under two for about 5 months. I been there honey, I understand. It does get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya lady! Leah has been acting out so much more since Carter was born. I have yet to venture out of the house with both of them by myself!! Sleep deprivation does not help things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely agree. Hang in there momma, you're doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless little buddy's heart! I am so worried about this parenting of two business too. You are doing an awesome job momma and things will settle down in no time. I was just talking to a friend the other day about how hectic life is with a newborn and I'm scared! I'm sorry I don't have much more advice for you...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Natalie I feel for you! I know you are doing an awesome just being a mom to these two boys! How sweet that Nolan just wanted some mommy time with you... so many changes have happened in his life and I love that he just needed a few minutes with you to feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! A big medal! Two little ones are tough...but growing up so close in age is such a great thing! So many benefits. It gets easier:)
    Michelle
    http://normalchaosforamultitaskmom.blogspot.com/2012/09/adventure-wednesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first month is the hardest. The second month is still hard but better. Month 3 starts to feel a little more sane, and by month 4, you'll be in a rhythm. It gets easier, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES! Three months into being at home and I think this all the time. Work was easy-peasy compared to this.

    And I only have one! I can't imagine two. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first 3 months with two is so hard! I will tell you it gets so much easier! Trust me! Now with Zane being 17 months and Hayley 3, they play together and entertain each other. It will get easier and sleep is a big factor too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like good times! You WILL get through this and so will Nolan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a 27 month old, a 14 month old, and a newborn all at once. I completely understand those first few weeks of adjustments with little ones at different stages. It is rough, and we definitely do deserve some kind of an award.

    I thought the hardest transition was going from one to two kids...after that adding another doesn't seem as traumatic....well, at least not for us anyway.

    Congrats on your new little addition, and lots of hugs and good wishes through these first months.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hang in there, Momma!! I know that you are an AMAZING mother, and it will just take a little while to get your bearings.
    If I know anything at all right now, it's that this stage of toddlerhood has been quite a challenge! He will get through it soon :) Definitely praying for a little peace for you, girl. {HUGS}

    ReplyDelete
  15. falling asleep in your arm is the sweetest thing. I hope things will be a lot easier for you as days comes by.

    hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I do think we deserve a medal and probably should acknowledge this fact way more often than we do. I remember when my girls were an infant and a toddler. So much of it I miss, so much of it I do not. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Motherhood is most certainly my biggest challenge...and I just have one!! But hang in there...there will be easier days ahead:) Sending hugs your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I give you so much credit, Natalie! I think you're doing a great job considering how it hasn't been super easy so far. Hopefully Nolan will be enjoying MDO soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Natalie...it is hard! It will get easier and better and pretty soon none of you will remember this short time in your life. Promise :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. We deserve a medal everyday!!! And I know everyone says stuff like this- but I promise it gets better. Newborns are hard anyway, let alone when you have a two year old too, but one of these days before you know it and Nolan will be able to make the baby laugh and smile like no one else it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We do deserve medals! Big hugs! Juggling two will get easier, I promise. You are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A medal sounds about right!! =)
    You are doing awesome! My boys watched way too much tv whenever we had a new baby in the house. It is okay! You have to do whatever gets you through the day.
    You have precious boys and are so blessed but it is okay to be overwhelmed. It happens to all of us medalists!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing... And pouring your heart out... Blessings to you! I understand what you're going through ... and this too shall pass

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sorry you are struggling. It is difficult to transition from 1 kid to 2 but in time you will figure it out and things will get easier. In the meantime, hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hang in there, girl! I remember those days of two under two- it was exhausting!

    Does your baby like the sling? That helped so much with being able to get out with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Natalie, I'm hoping things get easier for you. I keep saying Nolan is just like D so I truly do get it. I'm worried about her in MDO and how she'll feel if/when we have another baby. She's very clingy and only wants to be with ME. It's hard, but just remember, it's just a season.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Girl it is the hardest job I ever imagined. I have 3 and an angel... and all of mine are 5 and under! I shed tears of joy when the five year old started kindergarten this year! Love them, mean it. Need more sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You totally deserve a medal! Keep on truckin'! We can't be everything to everyone, no matter how much we want to. That is one of the hardest things to learn when becoming a Mom of two - and everyone has to learn it. Hope things feel a little more normal now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips