Friday, August 31, 2012

We Survived--But Barely

As most of you know from my earlier post this week that Nolan went to his first Mother's Day Out.  Well we survived--but barely.  It all started so smoothly---I was pushing the stroller with Conley, and Nolan holding my hand to the church.  He even walked in the building just fine, but when we got to his room he freaked out.  He started crying and grabbing for me but not before he grabbed the two cars he played with during orientation.  As I left the room, my heart dropped to see my boy crying so much for his momma.  The teacher already had him on her hip bouncing him, and I could tell she was very nurturing and knew what she was doing.

I had dropped him off at 9am, and I received a phone call at about 11:30am just to let me know that he wouldn't eat any snack or lunch but did drink milk.  She said he was doing fine and crying some when the left outside or the big playroom but that she just wanted to let me know about him not eating anything because she said if it was her she would want to know.

She gave me the option of him staying or for me to come get him if I was worried about the meal issue.  I decided to let him stay because as most of you know dealing with a toddler's eating habits is pretty much an every day occurrence.  Plus he usually doesn't have lunch until 12 or 12:30pm when he is at home. 

I expected to get another call about him disrupting nap time, but I didn't and so at 1:40pm I packed up the baby and headed over to pick him up.  When I got there, he was totally passed out with the lights all on.  He was sniffling in his sleep from crying which made me sad---and the teacher said he had finally fallen asleep the last 30 minutes of nap time.  (I knew it would be hard for him to nap with it being new and because it was almost a whole hour and a half earlier than he usually naps.) 

He was completely passed out, and we really had to try hard to wake him up.  He was fine when he got up, and we put his shoes on and we walked to the car.  Guess who ate all his lunch right after we left?  Yeah this boy.

His report card asks how he was feeling during the day, and the teachers had circled sad and curious.  It also said he made rest time difficult for others.  Aww my poor boy! 

The teacher thinks he'll do great once he gets used to it and said he was a sweet boy.  So we're going to keep trying to see how it goes, so keep us in your thoughts next week for round 2!

21 comments:

  1. ohh poor little guy! I am sure next week will go better. It is just an adjustment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww poor little man!!!

    hang in there girl! when aiden started a week after he turned 2 it was so hard! he struggled too. he either wouldn't eat and just drink the juice/milk. or he would eat so, so very little! he struggled napping at school too and we'd pick him up totally passed out and the teachers would tell us he had just fallen asleep too, maybe the last 20 or 30 minutes of naptime or some variation of that time range.

    but hang in there! he will get used to it! and he will really grow to love his new environment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoot sorry. That is so hard. When Lucas was four and Alex was almost two I had a friend offer to watch Alex one day a week so I could have some one on-one time with Lucas-- she cried the whole time. Which is so funny to me now as she is my fearless one.

    Hope it gets better

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little buddy:( It took Meyer a few weeks to adjust but now he LOVES it every time. He doesn't go for as long though and I'm not sure how would do with nap time outside of home! I'm glad you all made it through day 1 and hopefully next time will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww. Poor guy! I am sure that once he gets used to it, he'll be fine. I think Gwen would be the exact same way. I don't look forward to it. lol. Sorry that it was difficult, hoping next time is a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw poor thing! My heart would definitely break walking away while he was crying! And my heart melted with the report card saying sad and curious :( I think he definitely will get used to it as he goes and pretty soon he'll probably be so excited to go and play with his new friends :) Have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sweet, sweet, Nolan! He is such a sweet boy. He'll warm up to the new schedule; I just know it! Unfortunately, it just takes a little time. It can definitely be tough on you as the mama, but one day soon you'll come into him running around with his friends! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, Nolan. He'll do better and better, you know that right? Children are remarkably resilient and adaptable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw, poor lil guy. Have been there twice before myself...and you know what? I probably won't be anymore of an expert - or have better waterproof mascara - when it comes time for #3 to take this step. it's hard on babe and mama: but we all make it through. mine always brought a stuffed lovie from home and that seemed to settle them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no!!! Poor little guy!! That's a rough transition for everyone. I hope it gets better from here! Have a good extra long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry. I know that's got to be so hard on you both. I'm super nervous about D starting MDO b/c she is just like Nolan. She won't eat for anyone, I doubt she'll nap and I know she'll cry a lot. But I know this is something that I have to do. It's just so, so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Preschool is so hard!
    They all get used to it and he'll find new friends and enjoy the time on his own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He'll get used to it - even when I bring Thatcher back after a holiday or extended weekend, he has a rough day every once in a while. It's hard but y'all will get the hang of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww poor thing! I am sure he will adjust and love going before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, I bet it was so hard to leave him!! I hope it gets easier for y'all!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww poor little guy, doesn't it break your heart when you see them crying, or sniffling in their sleep the way Nolan was :( I am sure over the next few weeks that he will get used to going and will love it too!! I hope you are keeping well Natalie and adjusting to motherhood second time round :)
    Much love to you guys xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. So hard. For both Nolan and Mommy! If I can be of any encouragement, let me tell you that when we put Cameron in daycare, it was hard at first, but he soon flourished. He became so social, made awesome friends, learned to share. It was great. So great, that he was sad to not go on weekends. So great, that I hated to take him out of daycare when I went on maternity leave again.

    Soon, Nolan will love going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor little guy! I am sure it was an adjustment time. He is so sweet ! Children bounce back. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart aches for you! I hope it's going better now! Hopefully the more he goes and starts making friends, the more he'll start enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. aawww...poor Nolan:( Hearing abouot his little report made me sad:( Hopefully he will adjust in no time:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Big hugs! Don't feel bad, it will just take a while for him to adapt. In the long run it will be better for him. It still breaks my heart when I drop off Nathan and he reaches for me, but at the end of the day I can't ever get him to come home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips