Webster's online dictionary defines motherhood as: a female parent; a woman in authority.
I think motherhood can be defined by this one word: Selflessness
As mothers we give so much of ourselves to our children.
-Our need to feed ourselves comes last or if at all.
-Our sleep is scattered with a few hours here, and a few hours there, never the 8 hours straight our body needs to refuel.
-Our showers and making ourselves presentable becomes a luxury, not a priority.
-Our time to ourselves is non existent. Those moments of quiet time are a thing of the past.
-Time with our spouse is no longer an option. You are a team that works together for the children and after all that effort all you want is some shuteye.
Instead feeding, changing, and keeping our children nurtured, healthy, and loved become the top priority.
If that's not an example of selflessness, I don't know what is.
Now the question is, after all our giving do we have anything left?
Somedays I feel like I have nothing left to give, but I do try to remember that as long as I am living and breathing I have something left in me.
ReplyDeleteIt's all worth it though!
ReplyDeleteIt definitely takes a lot out of you. I think men have an easier time giving themselves a break while we feel we have to constantly be doing it all!
ReplyDeleteYou do a wonderful job filling the shoes!!! It's totally worth it but a struggle at times. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteYou are spot on, selflessness for sure! At the end of the day when you really do have nothing left to give, you've gotta just appreciate all of the love filling your days :) so much easier said than done sometimes!
ReplyDeleteI would 100% agree with this post! And it just reaffirms that I'm not ready for kiddos of my own yet ;)
ReplyDeleteOh, Natalie...are you doing alright? Those first couple of months are so hard, especially when you don't get enough sleep. Hang in there!!!
ReplyDeletexoxo
I have to add that this is the definition of a good mother! I hope that when we have kids one day I will be selfless - I know I can be so selfish sometimes!
ReplyDeleteTotally agree Natalie. The first couple months are hard and its like you are living in a fog. Showers totally become a luxury, it is amazing how just having the bathroom to yourself is a blessing!
ReplyDeleteTake care of yourself though too.
Whenever I am feeling totally overwhelmed I always remind myself that this "hands on" mothering is such a small fraction of my life. Already with my oldest (she is almost 13) I can feel some of that neediness starting to disappear.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is bittersweet.
so well said...i LOVE this!!! You've totally got the definition of motherhood right:)
ReplyDeleteHope you guys had a wonderful weekend!!
Most days... not a darn thing left! But today as I was driving down the road and the kids were quietly watching a movie or napping, all I could think about was how much I LOVE THE MESS out of my little monsters and how fortunate I am to be able to stay home with them. They grow up so fast!!!
ReplyDeleteBut then about five minutes later I'm wishing I could lock them in a closet and drink a bottle of wine!!! LOL.
Big hugs! There is always something left. It doesn't hurt to be a little selfish every once in a while. To ask for help so that we can take an hour for ourselves.
ReplyDeletei agree with you completely, today I'm having a terrible pain but the little girl is sick also and so instead of resting I have to take care of her.
ReplyDeletesometimes i think I have nothing more to give but then everyday the patience and love is stretching and stretching and no sign of stopping.
Selflessness is the perfect word to describe motherhood! You do such a wonderful job. They are definitely worth it, and I know I will hate the day that they don't "need" us anymore. :(
ReplyDeleteHope you are having a good week !
Very well said. I remember the years that were like this. Thankfully time is a commodity that is easier to come by the older your kids get, but being selfish when you've got kids isn't really ever an option, no matter how old they get! ;o)
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how many times I've thought this too. Motherhood really is a stripping away of all our selfishness, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteIt truly takes a lot out of you. But in the end, it is worth it. One day at a time is my motto:)
ReplyDeleteSo right, but it's so worth it. Are you doing ok? I know the beginning can be so hard, and I'm right there with you.
ReplyDelete....and hence, my blog title and its' entire purpose for existence.
ReplyDeleteI didn't have anything left to give once #2 arrived. Then #3 was on the way.
I needed something for me. something that restored and energized me. I'd always written in a journal -- but had stopped once children arrived.
So glad I found blogging and get in touch with my creative side again!
You will get you back! I promise! And yes at first we have to give up so much, but then things will get into a good routine and you will have you again.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely there is so much left, but at times it is hard to remember. Motherhood is exhaustion with a capital 'E', some days are busier than others, some days you will feel mentally drained...but after the rain comes the rainbow :)
ReplyDelete