I've always been a big reader, but fell off the wagon some when I was in college. Now that I have my handy Kindle, I'm back on the reading train.
I finally gave in and decided to read the Fifty Shades trilogy.
I so wish I hadn't.
I seriously do not know what all the fuss is about in this book. Given it has all the erotica and such, but seriously I feel like this book was just on continual repeat.
I almost threw my Kindle when I kept reading about all of Ana's insecure thoughts...what are we in middle school?
It was so annoying that every flippin' statement by Christian she over analyzed..."Is he mad at me?" or "What have I done?" This book is targeted at adults, but I felt like I was reading about teenagers.
And the whole inner goddess bit? What was that all about? That really got old.
Maybe this book would have been better if it was just ONE book, not three. I felt by the end that the author was really running out of material.
So what do you think? Have you given in and read it? Loved it or hated it?
So, I read all three and the first was my least favorite. I was continually annoyed too... I don't think it was very well written and did repeat itself a lot. I wasn't sure if I would read the second and third after the first but I did, and liked the second two much more. There was an actual story line to them...but still not my favorites.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been able to read it because all I can think of is how people keep saying it's sooooo badly written, and I'm not sure that any kind of "shenanigans" is worth that kind of bad.
ReplyDeleteI love reading too!! Haven't read those and don't plan on it. I am currently reading Winter of the Worlds by Ken Follett. It is the second in a series and I am LOVING it!!
ReplyDeleteI read the first one and I hated it. It's so contrived and the writing is horrible. The Ana character is so pathetic to me that I couldn't get past that.
ReplyDeleteI was also an English major in college so the horrible writing made my skin crawl.
I love reading, and I will usually give any genre a fair chance: but not that one!
ReplyDeletesomeone sent me a few passages and I was... appalled might be too strong, but close - at how "young" the character was made to seem. Like icky young all kinds of breaking law young. And moms have made this popular?
Aside from that, pretty sure I would to return my BA in English Lit if I enjoyed it even a little. LOL
so i didn't read the trilogy and won't based on all the stuff i have heard. i think there are other books more worth my time and this is the political nerd in me i love current events and history and government books :-)
ReplyDeleteAgree with you! But I think I still will want to see how they put the movie together! :)
ReplyDeleteYea, I did. I gave in and read them over the summer. I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Once I started I couldn't stop.
ReplyDeleteI won't read it! I just don't see the point in them based on what I know. I love to read but that's a trend I can't get into!
ReplyDeleteI haven't read the books and don't intend to. There is nothing appealing to me about an abusive billionaire. I almost gave in and started to read them when all my co-workers were raving about them, but I just never did...
ReplyDeleteThese books are horrible and I am saddened that they are so popular and that women are eating this up. Horrible writing and a horrible example for women everywhere. All it teaches is that a man can be as abusive as he wants and that is okay. Disgusting. And now they're trying to make a movie? How are they going to rate it if these books were sheer pornography?
ReplyDeleteNope, I haven't! At first I was almost curious enough to snag the 1st one at Costco...but, after hearing sooooo much about them, I don't think it's worth my time. Kind of a glorified harlequin novel? I wonder what the movie will be like?! xoxo
ReplyDeleteRead the first one, hated the first one, think it was a load of rubbish to be honest. If I never see or hear of it again it would be too soon!!
ReplyDeleteI didn't read the whole trilogy. After the initial hype, when I really looked at what people were saying, I realized everyone thought the writing was terrible. They pretty much said the same things you did. So I figured I better find some better things to read.
ReplyDeleteSo send me a list of books you did like so I can load them on my Kindle!
I read some of the first book. I got to the chapter after their 'first encounter' and wish I could have taken back the time I'd used to read up to there. Waste of time. It was SO badly written.
ReplyDeleteAgreed-- one book!
ReplyDeleteYes, I've read them. It's a lot of hype about something taboo. Otherwise, poor quality writing.
ReplyDeleteMy reading list is so long I can't imagine finding time to read this trilogy, especially after all the bad things I've heard about it. It seems the only people who like it are those who don't have enough experience reading to know what a good book is. I did find a free zombie erotica e-book called 50 Shades of Grey Matter that I am interested in trying for the lulz.
ReplyDeleteStopping by from SITS!
There is nothing worse than putting your time into reading crappy writing. Don't tell Beth, but I would suggest you stay away from Twilight too!
ReplyDeleteYou are the first person that I've ever read about that didn't like it! I never read them - just not into that! Glad to know I'm not missing anything!!
ReplyDeleteAlmost everyone has had the same comments you made so I never read any of the series. I'm starting to realize I didn't miss out on much.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read it yet...and probably won't. Glad to know that it's terrible :-)
ReplyDeleteI read it to find out what all the fuss was about and like you, Ana really annoyed me!!
ReplyDeleteHaven't read it, never intend to and this made me even more glad I have not.
ReplyDelete