Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Riding in Car with Babies--by Rach at Life with Baby Donut

Today my friend Rach at Life with Baby Donut is nice enough to fill in during my vacation absence.  Rach is also recent to mommyhood, and we've shared experiences and advice back and forth as we try to figure out what the heck we are doing.  Through all of these correspondences, we've become good friends.  I'm glad that I met her out here in bloggyland so that we can help each other hold on to our sanity.  Today her post hits the nail on the head, since I am taking a long trip in the car with a baby!

Riding in Cars with Babies

When Donut was 10 weeks old, we planned a 4 hour road trip to visit my in-laws. We carefully made a list of the gazillion things we would need: diapers, check. Bassinet, pacifier, booger sucker. Check, check check. We wrote out her feeding schedule, mapped planned stops, reserved a hotel room. As we loaded up the car with every earthly possession Donut owned, we patted ourselves on the back and headed into smooth sailing.

Armed with a book and magazines, I looked forward to a few hours to relax while Donut slept blissfully in the back. Half an hour into the trip, Donut starts wailing loudly. My feeble attempts to pat her little head were futile, thus our first stop 5 minutes later resulted in me hauling myself to the back seat and sitting with her. Not exactly how I planned it, but at least she was quiet.

And that sentence became our guiding light the entire trip.

You never realize how much you will do to make your teeny, red-faced, wailing infant happy. I did things that I hadn’t planned on, like breastfeeding in an almost empty outlet mall parking lot while my husband stood guard outside the car door. I realized that it’s kinda hard to feed a squirming baby in a backseat that is piled high with baby paraphernalia. And that I should have practiced at home with a nursing cover.

You also don’t think about how hard it is to change a diaper in a leather bucket seat. Donut lay sprawled and wiggling on the passenger seat while my husband leaned over from the driver’s side and attempted to change a poopy diaper. I held Donut’s arms and tried to prevent her from moving while standing outside the car as the wind repeatedly caused the car door to slam into my protruding rear. After what seemed like an inordinate amount of time to change a diaper, Mr. DIH proudly held up the dirty diaper while I informed him that that wasn’t mustard on his fingers.

Finding a place to eat wasn’t hard, thankfully. We only had one requirement: that the restaurant be LOUD. That way I wouldn’t feel bad when Donut squawked. Also, we had to make sure the table was big enough to hold a car seat. I didn’t realize all the things we had to think of, but then again, I was too busy trying to scarf my food down in 2 seconds so we could hurry and leave before a meltdown/diaper change/feeding occurred.

You also don’t realize that there is no such thing as a quick stop. Not with a baby to unpack out of a carseat. Even a quick trip around an outlet mall takes tactical planning. Do we have the carrier? Diaper bag? Clean diapers? Where’s the nearest changing station? At one point we found the family restroom and yes, we all took turns in that one little room. Really, these malls need to have some sort of map designed for parents of young children.

Our trip was only 3 days long, but I was so relieved to finally be home. I think it took us a month to unpack the car. Traveling with the little ones changes everything. But if there’s one thing I learned, it’s stay home go with the flow and laugh--because that’s what you’ll be doing when you look back on that time anyway.

I hope Natalie and her family are having an awesome trip!

You never quite know how much you took for granted about traveling before having a baby.  Rach thanks for sharing your experience and giving us all a "reality check" when it comes to traveling with a little one!  Go check out Rach's blog to learn more about her learning experiences with baby donut and to link up with her Life's Lesson each Friday!



27 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me here today! I so enjoy our friendship as well. Hope you all are having a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach, so good to see you here! And I totally relate. We've taken the Monkey on a fair few road trips, and aside from the very first one where he was small & slept all the way? The rest were more or less as you described. Breastfeeding in the car, trying to be discreet. Changing poopy diapers in a cramped environment, going everywhere with mountain-loads of stuff.

    We haven't been anywhere for a while. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach I'm totally with you. I've spent many a road trip wedged in betwee the two car seats in the back seat...it just has to be that way sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so adventurous to go on a roadtrip with a 10-week-old baby. I would've stayed home and waited for people to visit us. Great post Rach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I would have read something like this when we took our first road trip with the little one. Although ours was over 10 hours and we were definitely ready to go home by the time we got there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, great story! I am an over packer as it is, so I can't imagine what it would be like to travel with a little one...or ones. One day :) Many years from now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are going to the beach next week and I am already starting to gather all the items we will need to take with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy, does that bring back memories! When Monkey was 3 months old I drove him to Texas (14 hours) by myself so my family could meet him.

    At the end of that trip, I didn't care who saw my boobs, cause I breastfed in every McDonald's parking lots between KCMO and Houston.

    I've made several trips in the year since then, and I'm a total pro now!

    The secret to long-distance travel with kids is to go at night and pack plenty of Red Bull. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rach, I keep laughing over and over at the thought of te car door hitting you in the rump! Traveling is hard with a baby. Don't plan to get anywhere too fast! (I drove 9 hours with J by myself and it took 13!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids are 4 and almost 2 and I still dread the 3 hour car ride to my in-laws. Hum, perhaps that is more because I dread going to the in-laws! ;)

    Good for you for attempting such a long car ride with such a wee one.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds EXACTLY like a trip we took to Vegas when our son was 8 months old! We live in LA and it should have been a 4 hour trip. Took 8 hours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That trip sounds like so much fun.

    Not really.

    I just realized that the closest grandparents live 8 hours away. I'm in for awesome trips like this several times a year, if I ever decide to throw my pill down the sink :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Lord, this is so familiar to me. After three and a half years (and a strap in DVD player for the backseat), Deaglan is finally a good passenger. But we can't even enjoy it because Naveen is the worst passenger in the history of cars. Anytime we have to go even an hour from here, I get stressed and start making a list of distractions to bring.

    Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh goodness, this makes me smile to read. Probably because I can't relate at all and I know my time is coming, haha! Love reading your posts, Rach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I know it! Sometimes we wondered why we even bothered. I give anyone willing to do it a LOT of credit. And I'm never eating mustard again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was so fun to read, I can relate! Changing a poopy diaper in a bucket seat is one deft skill! Laughing does help ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OOhhh...I can SO relate to this...our trip to SC was a disaster on the way down but on the way back we planned it better around her nap time and stopped in the middle for about 30 minutes and let her crawl around in the grass to get some energy out...and had a much better experience!!!

    Hope your travels with Nolan went well and you guys are having a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Alison: I don't blame you for not going anywhere for a while!

    @Lisa: Yes, I just took my books and magazines and got cozy in the back.

    @Kiddothings: We were crazy. Plus DH's mother wasn't in good health and couldn't travel.

    @Barbara: 10 hours is very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Amanda: Get all your traveling in now so you can stay home when the kids arrive!

    @JDaniel4's Mom: Have a great trip!

    @MamaMash: Wow, I don't think I could drive more than 1 hour by myself with a baby! You are a tough mama!

    @Life as Wife: I laugh now at it, but (butt?) at the time, I was so frustrated!

    @Fox in the City: Ha! Perhaps that is what you dread!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Cam: It's crazy how much longer everything takes!

    @Sara: Tell them they need to come see YOU!

    @Kim: Hopefully Naveen will turn into a model passenger one of these days!

    @Rach: Enjoy these days while you can!

    @Ali: Yeah, the "mustard" was really gross!

    Mama Hear me Roar: It really is a skill--and it took 2 of us!

    @Workaholic Momma: That's a great idea. Anything to tire them out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rach, so good to see you over here! Traveling with the little ones really is an adventure! I love the 'just laugh at it' attitude. That's what I have to do or else I'll go crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't it crazy how someone so small requires so much stuff? Glad you survived your trip- it does get easier, and harder in different ways as they get older :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I became a master at all of these things as we make frequent road trips. I can change a diaper in the car in seconds flat if needed (a skill very useful in the freezing temps we get here).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your post brought back a lot of memories! I had to breastfeed on a plane once with the strange man sitting next to me. My cover could not have been large enough!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rach, I can relate. We took our LO a few times to Orlando which is only two hours away and packed a crap ton of stuff for that trip, when he was 4 or 5 weeks old. And then on top of everything, we had to stop and feed him at least once on the way down and one more time when we got there. Luckily I took my nursing cover everywhere. He's nursed almost everywhere at this point. It is a challenge..even at 7 months when we went on a 4 hour trip, his stuff was twice as much as ours!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH man! I remember our first roadtrip with Big T. I don't think we did it again until he was 2 years old, it was that bad. LOL. Now with all three we've got it down pretty good. But, it hasn't been without a TON of trial and error!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can totally relate especially to the nursing in strange places and changing diapers in the front seat! I feel so sorry for my little guy every time when he's practically upside down while we are going as fast as we can to change him. It surprises me how many gas stations do NOT have baby changing stations...not that they are the cleanest anyway. We try to hit indoor state rest stops or good old fast food places, but it's such a pain!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips