In our neck of the woods, it's been a little chilly and rainy...and well plain out dreary. I love some fall but when it's cold and rainy I don't want to get out of bed, and I believe the kids have shared this same sentiment since they have been sleeping in too. (Which is a huge blessing!)
This morning we decided to venture out to Gym Bugs which is very similar to The Little Gym just smaller. From 10:30-11:30 they have open play time for $5, so the perfect activity for a rainy day. A few other moms I knew were going, so a little adult talk would be had in between the wrangling of the small ones.
For whatever reason, the place was a madhouse! Probably a combination of the rain and fall break. Kids were EVERYWHERE and pregnant moms were EVERYWHERE.
I always like to observe the kiddos because it's crazy how different each child can be wired. Some are the bouncing off the wall types...others are the quiet and observers.
Today there was a child who seemed angry and kept kind of growling if another child was near him or if his mom asked him do something else. He kept throwing tantrums at each different activity area.
And in my heart I felt for this woman because I knew we as mothers make so much effort to entertain our children, to help them grow and learn, and to help them have the best and most fun life experiences.
And sometimes after all that effort of getting out of the house and piling the kids in the car, you get to the destination and things don't go as planned. Your child doesn't want to do what you planned even if it's a fun activity such as a gym to just go out and play.
As a mom with a toddler and a newborn, I make the effort to get out of the house. But sometimes I wonder was it worth the effort when my child is crying and wanting to leave? In the end, I know it is.
So when you see another mom out there struggling with their child, give them the nod of the unspoken mom agreement.
Because we've all been there and had those days. Sometimes that courtesy nod helps us know we are doing the right thing and to keep truckin' along.
so so true. I cannot tell you how many times I got them all bundled up and in the car, thinking they'd love some activity - only to endure whining and tantrums the entire time. And then the next time you go - they love it! You just never know, so yes...don't give up, but keep on truckin. And give that mom who lucked out this trip an understanding smile. maybe even a hug. It goes a long way.
ReplyDeleteI love the phrase "be kind to those you meet, for they too are fighting battles"... it's that nod of appreciation and acknowledgment that you give, you know they will get through!
ReplyDeleteNothing like a "Mom" nod/look though-she knows, she's been there. She understands. She's the complete stranger who's got your back.
What a sweet post! I'm glad that you're up and up in the mom code :)
ReplyDeleteSo totally agree..we have all had our share of those days. It's so nice to see another mom, give a smile, or it will all be ok look.
ReplyDeleteOh we have all had those days. And now with my children being older I sometimes find myself insisting "that they are supposed to be having FUN!"
ReplyDeleteIt is SO very true. It's like just known that we cut each other breaks, right?!?
ReplyDeleteThis is so true! We've all been there and we could all use a little compassion!
ReplyDeleteThis is perfect! It's so true that the only people who could really understand in a time like that other moms! A simple nod or look of understanding go a really long way! :)
ReplyDeleteGirl- I wrote about something similar a few weeks back. I totally agrees with you! We as moms need to cut each other a few breaks
ReplyDeleteVery true! great post! I've had those days more than I'd like to admit! :)
ReplyDeleteNot a mommy yet but I love reading your and other mom blogger posts to prepare me for what it will be like :) Happy Thursday! xo
ReplyDeleteThank you friend! I had this exact experience with my daughter yesterday. We went to Gymboree (which she loves) but for some reason she was just being a pill. And of course through some quirk all of the other kids were behaving like angels - which you know was probably the biggest fluke ever. But it made me feel terrible. We ended up leaving a little early, but either way, I'm glad we went. Somedays are just really hard. Somedays are not quite as hard. But I'd never really say that any day is easy. Haha.
ReplyDeleteI love this! Starting from day one of being pregnant, I can already sense/feel the competition between moms sometimes! I never want to be like that...I want to be the supportive mom that remembers the bad days that everyone is going to have!
ReplyDeleteVery well said! We have all had those days so yes we should just be there for each other
ReplyDeleteYes! We have all been there and I so wish other moms could just give that reassuring nod and smile.
ReplyDeleteSuch a great post, Natalie! It's definitely something that we all experience at one point, and a little "sympathy" goes a long way!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely agree!! Anyone with kids knows exactly what you mean :)
ReplyDelete