Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Ounce Conspiracy

Has anyone else noticed that on several products that you purchase that the quantity is now less?  However you find yourself paying the exact same price for it?  Oh you know you'll have a recipe that calls for a 15oz can of a certain item.  Then when you to the store to purchase this item you notice that the cans that are available are 14.5oz?  Now if you are like me, you are just going to get this can, but it makes you wonder....does that .5oz make a difference in your recipe?  It probably does...and before we know it, it won't just be a .5oz it will be a whole ounce and so on.  For example, if you go to purchase a can of tomato sauce the standard sizes used to be 4oz and 8oz.  Now you'll find mostly cans of 6oz!  I mean what are you going to do with that?  It's a conspiracy I tell you!  If I am going to get less, then I expect the price to be lower.  What do you think and have you noticed this too?

24 comments:

  1. Natalie you crack me up!
    But umm... yeah. I was telling Brandon about this last week. I opened a brand new can of hot chocolate, and it had less then 3/4 of powder in there. WTH! I feel totally robed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny! I've never noticed, I'm going to have to start checking my cans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't noticed this but it is really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep have totally noticed this. It is annoying. And it isn't the same prices but more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the shrinking cereal boxes that get me. I think I am paying more for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup yup! You know companies think they're being sneaky, and as long as the price doesn't increase, they assume no one notices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I've been noticing that and it's awfully sneaky on their part, isn't it? The most noticeable to me has been the redesign of ice cream cartons! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha you make me laugh, although I do agree with this little rant. I wish that they would drop the prices on the less products, but I highly doubt that that's going to
    Happen anytime soon.

    Oh and you really should try at least an eggnog latte. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never noticed this. Now, I will though,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup. I've seen some news stories on this too. It's annoying. But, I've learned that with cooking, you don't have to be so precise. I'm at the point where I make my own beans now instead of buying the cans. That way I pay way less and can use what I want and freeze the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! I haven't noticed the ounce conspiracy but I have noticed the pay-more-for-less conspiracy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't noticed it, but I would definitely expect a price drop if the amount of product dropped!! That's insane!

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least you are close... I am one of those people who would come home with an 12 Oz can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't noticed this in the canned good that I buy. But the cereal boxes sure have shrunk in size but not the price!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have noticed this "ounce conspiracy"! haha you crack me up! I just figure it doesn't make a difference and roll with it. But I don't like that I'm getting jipped. Same thing with ice cream - it's like 1.5 quarts now instead of the half gallon! lame!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, I've definitely noticed this. They're so sneaky about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are funny! I've noticed that the sizes are smaller but the prices are higher!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have noticed this! I also noticed that Target raised the price of the popcorn/med soda combo! haha...

    ReplyDelete
  19. YES!! Totally noticed this too...and I've seen Dateline specials where they talk about how companies are doing this to cut costs - shame on them for not disclosing that!! They sure are quick to tell you when they increase the size...by making you think they are giving you something "20% more FREE"...this stuff makes me so mad!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok, I haven't noticed this, but probably will when I go to the store next.
    I love that you wrote a post about this :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't noticed but I bet I will now!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have not noticed the oz conspiracy but now I want to go through my pantry to check it out! Curious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. As far as cans are concerned, I have been living in ignorance! I just swipe them off the shelves and pay, oops...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips