Since I began the KMB site (check it out if you haven't!), I have found it challenging balancing everything. However I really am thoroughly enjoying it, I am just having to make sure I keep organized and plan ahead. Which with two children three and under this can be difficult at times.
Last week we had SO MUCH TO DO. KMB held a barre3 class that was fabulous, Nolan had a pajama party at school (he refused to wear his pajamas because that's just not normal pjs are for bedtime), birthday lunch for my mom friend, kid's birthday party, date night and finally seeing Catching Fire, Nolan went to a birthday party with grandma, husband's work party, dinner with friends to celebrate baby Jack's 1st birthday, and finally taking the kids to see the Holiday Lights at a local park. I mean this was JUST in a 6 day period of time.
What would Christmas be like if we didn't rush? If we didn't have to buy a present for every single person in our family?
I wonder if it would be more moments that we would just soak in.
I wonder if we would cling to the real meaning of Christmas.
I wonder if we would enjoy our family more.
I know we still enjoy these times and that we create wonderful memories.
But for just once, I wonder what it would be like to have a stress free Christmas.
Do you feel like the holidays are stressful?
Natalie

Beautiful post Natalie. I wonder as well. I think all the shopping, wrapping, card sending, etc. really takes a toll. I wish it was more about the togetherness and the magic of the season.-Ashley
ReplyDeleteI feel like the holidays are very stressful. But once all of my shopping and planning are done, I do try to slow down and take a few days to just relax. We don't live near family, which is good and bad - it is bad because I would love to see them for Christmas, but it is good that we get to have that time with just the three of us not having to worry about going to everyone's house. It is hard to find that perfect balance.
ReplyDeleteI feel like this all the time. Friday was one of those days for me where it was 100 things all in one day. When I see the faces on my boys though when I show up at their Christmas party and manage to take them to see the lights - it's worth it.
ReplyDeleteMy Christmas' used to be just like this, too. Then about three years ago we stopped doing gifts {except with 1-2 friends who can't seem to accept Christmas without presents} and that made a HUGE difference in how much I enjoyed the season. No shopping, no trying to find places for all this STUFF when you brought it home. Instead, we would just spend time together doing fun things. People still think we're weird for not exchanging gifts, but I don't care one bit. It has made us so much happier!
ReplyDeleteI rush through life way too much. One of my goals next year is to stop and smell the roses more. I do like the few days surrounding Christmas because I relax and enjoy my family time, but I feel like more of life should be that way.
ReplyDeleteI find them somewhat stressful, so I try to minimize that by doing my shopping early (before Black Friday) and then not over obligating us. I love that we get invited here and there, but it's hard to go to all of them, so I limit it, and then try to get together in the New Year with those we weren't able to, does that make sense?
ReplyDeleteI am trying REALLY hard to not be so stressed during the holidays this year and I think it's working so far... the real meaning of Christmas needs to be remembered more, for sure. All the commercialism and craziness is not what Jesus meant for us to be focusing on... :) Merry Christmas, Natalie!
ReplyDeleteI usually don't feel very stressed but today my chest felt a bit heavy as if I was very stressed. I guess I do have a lot to think about and it's certainly harder to travel for Christmas these days that we have two kids to pack up, along with our luggage and wrapped gifts. I'm so afraid to leave anything home!
ReplyDeleteWow - you did pack a lot in!! But you know, as long as you are having fun and making great memories: I say enjoy it all. Soak it all up. It does only come once a year. But....you do have to Know Thyself. and I know if I cram too much on my plate, I will not be a happy mama before too long. So we have found a way to pick our favourite and most important events, and we do those. Not filling up our schedules also leaves time for those spontaneous holiday adventures: tons of snow fell last night? gather people up for a toboggan party and hot cocoa after. Hear all your mom friends sounding weary and not light? Declare a Christmas movie night, get the kids in pjs', pop the corn and sit back and enjoy. Those are often the best moments -- the ones that you were not to busy to watch slip by.
ReplyDeleteI do think that the Holidays can be stressful, but this year I am trying very hard to be organized and remember to have fun and relax even though we are busy. Some days I do better than others with that plan. :)
ReplyDeleteThis week was crunch time for me, since I had to get through a mighty long list before we leave for New Jersey for the holiday. Throw in a few monkey wrenches here and there and I was feeling the stress. I too wonder if we all just decided to chill out the entire month of December, skip the gifts and focus on the parties and get togethers instead, what it would feel like.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to slow down - but that's what we really need to do to enjoy this time of year!
ReplyDeleteYes, so true.. it is so easy to get caught up in the business of it all that you could almost miss the whole thing. I am trying, trying to really enjoy this last week before Christmas.
ReplyDeleteThe holidays are always stressful - but I feel like it's stress for a good reason. To me, Thanksgiving through the end of the year is a time filled with family! Any amount of stress is worth seeing so much of my extended family :)
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to slow down, especially during the holiday season!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas! We had a low key one and it was quite nice. Although, having to mail 4 huge packages to my family, was not so fun! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteI eliminated some of my stressors this year and I have to say it was a really enjoyable Christmas. I love the quiet family time. I felt bad about not sending out cards though. Happy New Year!
ReplyDelete