Thursday, July 25, 2013

Looking Back...

As summer is winding down, I find myself reminiscing about this time of year in years past.

I know it isn't the beginning of the year, but due to the fall and school year I always feel like it is a fresh start. 

I remember back in the days of high school and college days feeling the anticipation and excitement of a new school year. What would happen? What friends would I hang out with? What boy would I like? 

Like hearing an old song, the end of summer takes me back to another time. 

And now with being a mom, I wonder if my children will share the same excitement. I distinctly remember loving getting new school supplies and clothes. It probably was one of my favorite times of the year. 

As I prepare Nolan to go back to MDO, I see a little of myself in him. He can't wait to go back to school and meet his new teachers.  He asks everyday if we are going and will wear his Elmo backpack and lunchbox around the house.

Nolan getting ready for MDO last August

I just hope he always holds this excitement...because for me it was always a new year of possibilities.

Do you have fond memories of going back to school?
Natalie

15 comments:

  1. Definitely! I remember picking out the lunchbox for the year and nervously trying to go to sleep the night before school! Love this post!-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always remember fondly my first days of school. Everything new, crisp and the anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fall nostalgia. Though I did get nervous about going back to school. My nerves just usually lasted a little while and then I got into the swing of things again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved summer, for sure, but I was always done and embracing fall and new beginnings. And of course as an adult with kids, it's a new version of the same. Even without kids, I'd look forward to fall. It's a bit magical. I can't stand winter, but I love the idea of new beginnings. At any point in life. Last fall my 98-year-old grandmother moved from Florida to NJ. She's about to be 100 in four months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my summer days were mostly spent on my grandparents' farm. picking crab apples from the tree on the front lawn, stealing beans and carrots from the big garden, chasing kittens in the hayloft and swinging on the old tire swing. or saddling up a horse and just galloping off into the woods with my many cousins who were always coming and going as well during the summer. then there was the haying, and the milking and the egg gathering. Being escorted to every little country fair within driving distance to show the horses, and then come home with a too full belly of cotton candy and caramel popcorn.
    oh..to answer your question: um, no. I did not look forward to going back to school and being stuck indoors all day.
    also, no horses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does feel like the beginning of the year, in a way. I loved picking out my supplies and gear and getting it all ready for the start of school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hated the day the kids got old enough to realize they could pick out their own lunch boxes and backpacks. I relived my childhood every time I did it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the most amazing things about being a parent is just want you described. The nostalgia of your past memories and seeing your children make their own. Such an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved going back to school! I actually had a hard time sleeping the night before school started because I was so excited! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh - I used to LOVE getting new fresh notebooks and pens and pencils. LOVED it! Why Why Why?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the school supplies and new clothes but I also hated summer ending. I still do! I could live in summer endlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must have been the most sullen little person at school opening days. No words can describe the gratitude I feel for my parents having put up with it! It did get better as the week went along though.

    Nolan looks so adorable, full of anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always loved getting ready to go back to school and am definitely having a blast planning for Meyer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to LOVE going shopping for new school supplies! What's funny is that the other day we were reading the paper & my hubby said he used to HATE when he would see the store ads that said "Back to school." I said oh I LOVED it! We laughed at how different we felt about school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you on the back to school/Fall excitement. I think it's my teacher mentality but it's like new year's for me. I am so ready for August (tomorrow!) with it's sense of a fresh start, adapting routines, getting back into the swing of something, and FOOTBALL!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips