It's been awhile since I gave you guys the 411 on my new neighbors. Remember this post about the tons of kids moving across the street? Well obviously it's summer and school is out which means these kids are outside most of the time. I constantly hear them out and about since like I mentioned before they play in the front yard---because the house doesn't have much of a backyard.
Yesterday these kids knocked on my door asking for money. That's correct---just asking for money. They weren't selling anything just wanted $1.50 to buy a game. I kind was in shock because the kids are very young. I never knew how many there were until later yesterday when they knocked on my door again. My husband answered and went outside to talk to them. They were again asking for money, and my husband quickly said oh I'm sure your mom has money. He then started talking to the kids and told them to be careful in the street because people are known to fly through our neighborhood (it's an older one not your standard cul-de-sac planned subdivision.) The 8 year-old boy then replied, "Oh yeah I am supposed to be watching my 3 year-old and 4 year-old brothers because mom is on the phone inside." He also continues to tell my husband that because his mom is on the phone the 11 year-old is making dinner again and that she has an adult body and is 5'6" (oh the things kids will say!) So let's count here...we have a 11 year-old girl, an 8 year-old boy, a 5 year-old boy, a 4 year-old boy, and then the youngest boy at 3 years old. I am really worried about these kids getting hit by a car especially the boys who are so little and don't know any better. They are always in the road, and the mom is never out there watching them. I hate to cast judgment on someone without knowing them, but seriously those little boys are too young to be outside without supervision of an adult.
Now here's where things get a little serious. The neighbor right next to them is an older couple with a 40 year-old son living with them. He is of questionable character or at least that is what the other neighbors say who have lived on this street for over 15 years. He looks creepy....and supposedly does a lot of drugs and continuously gets fired from jobs because he's always getting into physical fights with his co-workers. I have personally never talked to the man nor do I have any intentions of doing so. However the mom lets all of her kids go over there and play without her over there. Sometimes it's just the youngest boys...who again are just 3 and 4. This really worries me because I just don't trust this guy, and I would never NEVER in a million years let my children go over there to play and especially not even think about it unsupervised. While my husband was talking to the kids, the creepy guy was driving by and slowed down because again the kids were running in the street. He then spoke to one of the younger boys and said, "You better watch out or you'll get ran over," and my husband said that little boy had the strangest reaction to the guy. He put his head down and was very shy--kind of embarrassed. Guys this really worries me! With all that goes on in our world with kids being abused, I worry about these little boys or any of these children. I would just hate for something bad to happen one of them just because their mom is too busy doing who knows what and lets the random neighbors be her babysitter. This is a sick world we live in and as parents we have to be on high alert. My parenting instincts kick in, and I want to protect the innocence of these children because honestly I don't feel like this mom is looking out for her kids. I know that sounds bad, but something is really off with this woman and her different visitors all the time and how she is always pushing her kids outside while she stays inside with these visitors. I'm willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but I must say I've not seen these kids get a lot of attention or direction which is sad because they are JUST KIDS.
What would you do if this was going on in your neighborhood???
Natalie...that is just awful! I cannot imagine letting my little ones just wander the neighborhood.
ReplyDeleteThat guy sounds creepy. Have you gone on the sex offender site to see if he has every been charged with anything?
Also, if you are ever outside and see the mom..I think I would casuaully mention that the guy next door is a bit questionable and you might want to make sure the little ones stay closer to home.
My neighbor has a 4 year old and she just lets him run around the streets and half the time is never outside to watch him. Makes me so nervous!
Good luck and hopefully the owners of that house will eventually get some normal people living there!
That would so worry me too! I guess you could say something to the mom that she needs to keep a better eye on her kdis due to the creep-o neighbor. Even if you've never heard anything official on him if your mom instincts are sounds the alarm, I'd go with your gut and say something. Also that way, maybe she'd start watching her kids better AND keep them away from el creep-o!
ReplyDeleteUgh, this makes my tummy hurt. We have a little boy in our neighborhood too (who's 4) and wonders all over the place. He even goes the next street up and I have yet to see his parents. He has a 14 year old sister that "watches" him and a baby sister.... He has even wondered into my neighbors house! We have tried to go down and knock on their door but no one ever answers. I really hope this little boy, along with the ones in your neighborhood stay safe!
ReplyDeleteThat is a tough situation! I'm not sure what you should do. I guess you could report the mom to social services? I just think that's far too young to be wondering around alone.
ReplyDeleteI agree with ^Jenny! I would def check out the sex offender site!! I don't know that talking some sense into the mom would make a difference considering she's just letting her kids run around outside or go over to the neighbor's house! I would so report any suspicious activity to CPS or something!
ReplyDeleteI don't even know what to say!
ReplyDeleteI would call the authorities. No harm in having your gut feeling Natalie, you seem to be the only one looking out for these kids and we all know that kids need someone looking out for them.
ReplyDeleteYou can remain anonymous, I would imagine...but this mum needs to be made aware that she isn't doing her job properly!
Ugh this makes me sick. I think you need to call the authorities to come look in on the children. At the very least, the kids mom will know that her neighbors are onto her and may watch her kids a little closer.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely get CPS involved if you really think there is something going on!! Better safe than sorry. You might be saving those kids from abuse!
ReplyDeleteI know it's hard, but I think I would call the authorities too. It's not safe and it's not ok what that mom is doing. It's hard to be involved, but just think if anything happened to those poor kids! I guess there's no dad around? This makes me very sad.
ReplyDeleteOh and have you thought about moving???
I would move if at all possible.
ReplyDeleteThis makes me so sad for those kids. You could always call someone to check in on the family.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness! This is serious! And it saddens me that there are so many children that are neglected like that! Even if there were no cars that could hit them, even if there were no creepy neighbors to hurt them.... the abandonment alone is bad! How awful! Poor kids... :( breaks my heart and unfortunately I don't know what I would do... I think (knowing me) I'd end up going over there and talking to the mom of the kids... but ... having little ones... I've become more of a coward to do such things... I don't know but I hope something happens and this is solved somehow... :(
ReplyDeleteThis is awful! I'm not sure how you can approach it but it seems like a good idea to say something..even if you just tell the mom about the exchange and that it gave you a funny feeling like something was off.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
well, my kids have knocked on my friends doors asking for donations for their lemonade stand! I had no idea they were doing that and the kids really had no idea it was not right. the only way I ever found out is because my girlfriends gave them all kinds of money! and the kids were splitting it...even though we think we are teaching our kids they may not be listening or even understand. if someone gives me the creeps around my kids I trust my instincts and tell the kids to keep away.
ReplyDeleteOkay one thing what the mom is doing- but it takes it to a whole new level if the kids are going over to that other house! There are no kids their age and a grown adult that obviously has issues that screams scary no no no! And maybe the older couple is there and really nice and like a grandma or something but still just does not seem appropriate.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes I say call too-- if there is nothing to worry about (or nothing they can prove at this point) then she will get investigated and that will be the end of it- but if there is more going on than hopefully they will find out and get some help.
I'm not sure what to say.
ReplyDeleteIn our neighborhood, there's a 5 y.o. boy that roams. I live a street over and one Saturday he was in our backyard for hours. I kept wondering when his mom would check out where he was but she never did! I was amazed.
I finally had to send him home at dinner.
If it was me, I'd want to know where my kids were AND who they were with!
I really think you should call and report it. What could it really hurt? It may give her a wake up call if nothing else comes of it. At least that way if something does happen you won't look back and think what if?
ReplyDeleteGosh Natalie your neighborhood is full of crazy characters! I can't believe the kids were asking for money! And I really can't believe the lack of supervision that seems to be going on. I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes.... I guess look up the sex offender list like I saw someone else suggested. It makes me so sad when mothers don't seem to be taking responsibility for their kids!
ReplyDelete