Many friends were on Facebook saying how over the snow days and the school cancellations....and usually I would be saying the same things. Cabin fever is a real thing!
But for me, I embraced them. You might think I would be beating my head against a wall since I was running the ship solo, but instead I decided to make the best of the situation.
The boys have never enjoyed the snow, so on my own I bundled them up like little butterballs and ran in the winter wonderland.
I have never made cookies with Nolan, so I found an easy 5 ingredient recipe and went to work.
Bath time in the middle of the afternoon, why not?
I have never made cookies with Nolan, so I found an easy 5 ingredient recipe and went to work.
Bath time in the middle of the afternoon, why not?
I decided with no schedule and no place to be that I would be intentional with my boys. I would sit down with Conley and really focus on teaching him. I would snuggle with my big boy and tell him stories of him being a baby in my belly.
I don't always do this....but not having an agenda enabled me to do it.
So I say thank you snow days for these precious moments. Sometimes the simple moments are the best moments.
Natalie
Natalie


Great post and outlook on it! I loved our one day off. It was nice to get a break from work (mostly - I did a little from home) and spend quality time with my son. Made me miss being a SAHM, but also helped me to enjoy it more as I know these days are fleeting and I want to hold tight to each precious moment.
ReplyDeleteYou are a better mommy than me! I wish I had taken your outlook and been more intentional, had more fun with my kids while they were home rather than getting all stressed out about what I wasn't getting done. Thanks for the reminder, and good ideas for the next time we have a day off! PS love the new colors on your chevrons. Probably been that way for awhile... I've been a bad visitor! :-)
ReplyDeleteWe were sick for 2 weeks. I didn't send D to school at all. We didn't go anywhere (except several doctor visits) or see anyone. And it was really nice not having to worry about commitments or chores or anything. Yes, some of the time was miserable (we had the flu and RSV--blech!) but I just learned that slowing down, watching movies together and just resting was really needed and I decided to incorporate more of that during our weeks.
ReplyDeleteGood on you for taking it all in stride, and making the best of it. You're a good Mom!
ReplyDeleteYay for embracing your extra time even when you were flying solo!! Looks like you guys had some fun in the snow!
ReplyDeleteLove this. Such a great outlook. I work full time so I LOVE snow days. It's an extra day I get to spend with my little guy since I'm not with him during the work days! :)
ReplyDeleteOh good for you! So glad y'all enjoyed the snow. Those snow days can be tough on us Southerners, but they are so nice when you really take a step back to enjoy them!
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome!! I always found those were the best days, when I didn't push any of my own agenda on the kids. Of course, sometimes they simply have to - there's no help for it. But that makes these kind of days all the more fun and special.
ReplyDeleteAnd isn't it amazing how much they LOVE hearing stories about what they did in the womb, or when they were small babies?! My 9 year old boy still asks me to tell the story of when he kicked a bulletin board out of my hand during an office meeting. I was pretty close to 9 months - I guess he found Tax and Retirement information boring too. LOL
So great! Snow days can be hard days, but you really made the most of it:)
ReplyDeleteSometimes I really crave those days without schedules - the ones where you wake up not having a clue what you'll do that day. It does make it easier to focus on the "little things" that usually get put on the backburner or go unnoticed because of everything on the to-do list. Good for you for recognizing an opportunity to live more intentionally!
ReplyDeleteYou are wonderful! And I love the photo of Conley in the red car.
ReplyDeleteWe can have winters with snow days once a week, or worse. And then we can have them spread out here and there. And the silence is special. And being stuck at home can be pretty great with family. (or drive you crazy, if you have stuck house guests. true story)
Aw! You ROCKED THIS WEEK!! It looks like you guys had a blast! Love you snowy fun photos!!! --Lisa
ReplyDeleteHow amazing that you embraced the snow days! I did not have the best attitude by the 2nd day we were stuck at home, and I admit I am not proud of the amount of times I lost my patience. It's been heavy on my heart lately that I spend my time with Addie trying to multitask and nothing ends up getting 100%. I need to step back, remember that "babies don't keep" and work can wait until she goes to sleep. Thanks for sharing this...I really needed to read it today.
ReplyDeletei think I am just weird because I embrace the snow days. The mornings are always so rushed trying to get kids and hubby as well as myself out the door that I day where I am FORCED to stay put is a welcomed break! Great post!
ReplyDeleteI love a snow day - for exactly these reasons! Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day!
ReplyDeleteHow fun. I bet Nolan loved making cookies too!
ReplyDeleteSo well put. Snow days make perfect days sometimes. Looks like they did have fun even if they are not the biggest fans of it.
ReplyDeleteYep, it's so true! Those times when we do not have to adhere to a schedule and can just "be" are some good. I'm glad you had fun with your sweet boys!! :)
ReplyDeleteGood for you!! So much better to embrace and enjoy and really so much better for you that way too.
ReplyDeleteNatalie this is why you are such an amazing mom! I hope that when we have kids one day I will do things like this!
ReplyDelete