Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Just Call Me the Referee

When I found out we were having a second boy, I was elated.  I was so excited that Nolan would have a brother so close in age, and I couldn't wait for them to be best friends.


Never did I think at such a young age (three and one) that I would be constantly correcting and refereeing. My day is full of statements like these:

"Don't push your brother down."
"Remember to share!"
"Why is your brother crying?"
"Don't take toys out of your brother's hands!"
"Be gentle with your brother!"
"Conley, you can't have every toy your brother has." (cue big tears and a cry as if you told him he would never be able to drink milk again)

I could go on and on, but I'll spare you.

I just didn't think I would have this problem until they were older.  It really is exhausting, and I start thinking will they ever play nice together?  Will there ever be a time that I'm not in the room that I suddenly hear a cry of terror?


For those of you with multiple children, does it get better or worse?

Natalie

14 comments:

  1. Oh you would not have wanted to be at my house over the holidays. ha
    by day 6 I think it was, I actually feared for the boy's life. His younger sisters were driving him nuts and he was tired of retreating to his room and Lego. So we were graced with his grumpy countenance. Which of course just fueled his sisters even more.
    Then the sisters were not even getting along by day 9! But you know, I get it. Being married to a shift worker, I get used to hubby not being around. Then suddenly he is home -- Yeah! Then by day 3 of his days off I'm like, you need to go away now. LOL
    I think it just comes from being together all the time. Too much of a good thing you know? Everyone needs their space from time to time. So when I sense that mine are starting to get annoyed with one another, I send them off to different spaces.
    And as life usually goes -- after a bit they start complaining about wanting to go play with their sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, it does get better. Then are those moments when they hug each other, or kiss each other and play so nicely with each other when they think you aren't looking and it melts your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose it's different with a boy and a girl? Or just different with any family and the individual personalities in it. I grew up with four siblings and we were always at war, with alliances and subterfuge. Terrible! A very constant question out of my mouth is this, "Why is your brother crying?" To be fair, it's really rarely her fault but I seem to have an accusatory tone. Poor girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my life!!
    I do believe it will get better - or maybe we just get better at refereeing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the mommies were talking about this in the gym rompers class.... and some of their kids were in their early teens, so I don't think it gets better. I wish I could have more children, but I'm ok with just one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I wonder this all the time about Gwen and Addie. I am sure it will get better... but eventually they form a team and gang up on US, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, they will. They just need a little time to grow up. They are still very young. It does get better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the mom of 2 girls I can honestly tell you that it will be both. It definitely gets better. And then worse. And then better again. But, the good news is that they are bonded for life and will be forever friends...or at least that is what I tell my girls, especially when they are fighting! ;)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  9. No advice as I have only one, but I would think at least some of it would ease as they get older and can do more for themselves? Thinking of you. Parenting is hard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I have two boys and two girls and I will tell you that it gets worse at times and easier at times. I know that isn't very helpful. I have one son that is almost 16 and one that is 12. They fight so much that I have to jump in between them sometimes but...if you ask them who their best friend is, they say each other. The age gap with the girls is 8 years so they have different issues. My 3yo wants to do everything my 12yo does and that just isn't possible so there is a lot of begging my older daughter or consoling my younger daughter. I have four younger sisters and they are all my best friends, so there is hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm right in the thick of it with my 8 & almost 5 year old, and now my 14 month old is joining in! (with the almost 5 year old- my oldest is pretty patient with him) This is one of the toughest things because of the repetition- I have found, in parenting, that's one of the hardest things for me to deal with. The same thing again and again and again! But, even with all the bickering, it makes it even sweeter those moments that they are in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my experience, it does get better. But some days are still a sort of roller coaster of emotion - ranging from blissful sibling harmony to shouting over space and toys. I would say by boys get along more often than not now, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It will get better and worse all at the same time. Lucas and Alex are the same way- very much a love/hate relationship... play great and wonderfully then will be hitting and yelling at each other, drive me crazy. The type of fights and things they do will just change. I just try and relish in those loving kind moments and as long as they overall outweigh the bad then life is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol... i just had my second child.. second son 12 days ago. You paint a pretty picture. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips