Sunday, January 19, 2014

Achieving Balance

So last week I totally ignored the blog here.

I was really busy but also just felt no inspiration or words that were worth writing.

I kept telling myself, I NEED to write a post. But then I thought, you know what?

It's ok to take an uncalled and unscheduled break. 

I know you my blog friends will still be there when I get back.

I can't be everywhere and do everything all the time. I have to learn to cut myself some slack and also learn it is ok to say no. 

As moms, we fill our plates so full.  We are multi-tasking machines always running to the next to-do list, the next task.  I find myself running through my list as I try to fall asleep. 

How do we achieve balance? I don't have all the answers.  I try to breathe and think, does this have to be done? Will it impact my life if I don't do it?  Why am I committing myself to it?

So here I am hoping to give myself the time I need, and to realize as mothers we can't do it all.  But we can also not beat up ourselves about it.


How do you achieve balance?

Natalie

16 comments:

  1. I get it. So much. And course we'll still be here when you get back! I'll be in Disney for a week so I won't be as good at commenting as I usually am, but hey, hopefully people will be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are still here!!

    I have learned to allow myself those unscheduled breaks without apology. Real life has to come before blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie, I'm taking more and more of those breaks, from blogging, or wherever else we need them. for me, balance is a state of mind. It's not what I get done and what I don't get done and getting the right amount of everything done. It's being perfectly OK with what I am doing and what I'm not doing. It's being at peace with whatever I don't get to. I think when we live like that and worry less about what's not getting accomplished, we're all better off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can only do so much, right? Or, at least do it well. I tend to go in spurts, so it might look like I have a ton of posts up in a week -- but in actual fact: I probably wrote them up days or weeks ago and they have just been sitting in Draft. Then I always have something in case I am feeling uninspired. A simple photo is always a good way to just check in too. But I don't sweat it. For now I enjoy it, but when I want a break, I take one.
    I also find it's good to take a break for a few days and just read other blogs. That can often inspire an idea -- but at the very least, you are still connected to this great community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saying no is really hard for me, and lately it's only been making me miserable. I thought after Christmas that things were supposed to slow down, but I guess not! :o(

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really hard for me to do last year which is why I stopped blogging for a really long time. The best thing for me has been setting priorities and making sure those things get done first: family is at the top of the list. Anything else that gets done after that is just a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life always comes first.
    That's the only balance I have to worry about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taking a blogging break at the holidays was hugely eye-opening to us. Turns out that y'all will really be here when we come back! Woohoo! I totally think that you need to do what you can do and nothing more. Balance is one of my 2014 words, by the way.-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um I took an unintentional break from personal blogging a year ago and haven't looked back - sometimes we feel led in different directions and that's okay! I do miss having the stuff documented to look back on though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for taking a break... it is perfectly fine and really something we all need from time to time. For me the times when I am feeling really on, I will write lots of posts or at least the beginning of posts, so I will have those ready for when I just don't feel like writing. But it is also perfectly okay to just totally forget it for a bit too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, I'm in the same boat and have been for MONTHS! It's totally ok to take a break now and then and find some room to breathe. We're still here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Balance is a myth. I like to think of life as more of a juggling act. We have all these balls in the air and it is important to put our focus on the ball that needs our attention at that moment the most. The other balls can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you're speaking my language. balance is a daily struggle.sometimes i'm totally winning other times it's an epic fail. the key is to do what i can when i can and give myself grace knowing perfection is not the goal, sanity is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you have to do what you did - not worry about the things that are not life or death and simply write here when you can. And there is no such thing as balance. I learned that too late. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. That balance is tricky, isn't it? I think we just have to do what we can, when we can. Sometimes I feel like I have got it all figured out and then something happens and I realize that I am not as organized as I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has been really hard to find balance since my mom got sick, I started to work, and my husband started school.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips