Monday, August 13, 2012

Conley's Birth Story

Finally our little boy has arrived!  He was due on August 3rd, but apparently that date did not suit him very well.  Nolan was a day earlier than his due date so I fully expected with this being my second pregnancy that I would go early.  I kept feeling more pressure and contractions, so I was sure that we would have a July baby.

On my August 3rd doctor appointment, I was 3cm dilated and about 50% effaced.  My doctor asked me what I wanted to do, and I decided that we would see how the weekend goes and then come in for an appointment.  On Tuesday, we had an 11am appointment where I was 4cm dilated and the same in effacement.

Now if you know me I'm not one for being induced.  However, I felt with this being my 2nd child and with the progression I had already made that maybe this little boy needed a gentle nudge.  Plus this gal was over being pregnant!

We scheduled to be induced the next day, August 8th at 7am.  We waited awhile before we started the Pitocin due to the fact that the hospital has strict rules when it comes to monitoring.  Can I just say next time I am seriously thinking about having my next child (if we have more) at a birthing center.  I'm so over hospitals just wanting to tie you in a bed so it's convenient "for them."  As my husband said, this was our most expensive item all year long so we should be able to get what we wanted instead of the other way around.  Anyhow, that's a story for a different post--my rants about hospitals!  And trust me I have a long, long list after this visit.


Yes don't I look thrilled to be hooked up to their machines?

At around 9:30am, we got the show on the road.  I was already having contractions before they started the Pitocin, but once being on the medicine my contractions actually slowed.  It was really weird to see the number go up but my contractions going down.

My doctor came in around 1pm to do the cervical check.  I was at 6cm and fully effaced!  I was so excited because with Nolan it took me almost a whole day to go from 2cm to 6cm.  She then decided to break my water.  I have heard that this hurts, but I am assuming since I was so far along that is why it did not.  It's crazy to think with Nolan my water broke at 2cm and this time it wouldn't even break!

Just like last time with Nolan, I was going to try to do a natural child birth.  At a certain point during labor while I was standing, Conley's heartbeat was really high so the nurse made me lie down in the bed.  Let me tell you I could not do natural child birth in a bed...I have to be standing because laying down makes them so much worse.  I laid down this time on my side for about 30 minutes to help the little guy's heartbeat, and then stood back up.  His heartbeat was steady and didn't go any higher.  The contractions this go around seemed to linger longer than when I had Nolan.  Nolan's seemed to be much higher but quick and over with whereas this was a gradual contraction which kind of made it worse because you just wanted to be over.

At around 3:15, I was having very strong contractions and lots of pressure...almost feeling the need to push.  The nurse checked me and said I was at 7cm.  Then at around 3:45pm I told my husband, I really have the urge to push thinking in my head there was no way I was at 10cm already in 45 minutes.  He got the nurse, and SURPRISE I was at 10cm and it was go time!  Last time with Nolan I pushed for 2 hours because his station was so high.  The nurse actually called the doctor early because when I pushed he was going very low but then going back up.  She was afraid because I was going natural that I wouldn't be able to stop and this baby would be hopping out before the doctor would make it.  When the doctor arrived, I only did 2 sets of pushing and our little boy was born. 

This time I pushed for only 30 minutes instead of 2 hours and a total 7 hours of labor instead of 26 hours which was definitely a blessing!

Conley was born on 8/8/12 at 4:22pm at 8 lbs, 2 oz and 20.5 in length.  (Side note: Nolan was 7 lbs, 11 oz 21.25 in length)

We are adjusting to our new life so you probably won't see me commenting as much on your lovely blogs but I'm still trying to read along.

Conley is beautiful boy, and we are so happy to add him to our family.  Nolan is adjusting pretty well to his role as big brother and always saying, "Baby" and "Cry"and even saying "Conley."  I can't wait until these boys get to play together!

43 comments:

  1. SOOOOO ADORABLE!!! CONGRATS MAMA!!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a different birth story from your first one! Super speedy in comparison! I'm loving Conley so much, and Nolan looks proud and happy to be a big brother! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! He is perfect. I decided with my 3rd to do a natural birth and it was awesome! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Natalie! He's precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome! And props to you for going all natural! He is just precious and I am so happy for your little family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to you and your lovely family!!! Conley is beautiful! Enjoy this precious time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a blessing to have to push for just 30 minutes. What a precious new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SSSOOO cute!!!! I'm glad everything went well during l&d was so much shorter this time:) I hope everything is going well at home...thinking about you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad it was a much shorter labor for you this time! Rest up, don't worry about blog reading. Enjoy those boys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! You. Are. My. HERO! Seriously... What an awesome birth story! And Conley is just sooo handsome. Enjoy your time with your little guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great birth story overall! Good for you on the natural birth. Congrats again momma! Enjoy those boys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're an all-star! And your kids are super cute too. ;)

    Hope all is well at home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonder woman!! Congrats! He is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad your labor was shorter this time. And you're a rock star for doing it naturally!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to be induced with my first because he was 9 days overdue and I was not showing any signs of contractions, dilating...nothing. nada. I did note enjoy it at all...and even less that it ended up being a C section anyway. (which around here means all future births also C section.)
    However, our hospital was fantastic and that made the experience enjoyable despite my lovely birth plan going out the window. I actually had the same nurse for my next 2 c sections, so it was like a reunion!
    Happy to hear Conley has arrived safe and sound. Don't feel the need to write posts...I am sure we are all happy to just see pics of the handsome lil guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! How exciting!
    Glad your labor was shorter but such a bummer about the hospital.
    Hope your all getting your sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! He is adorable and your sweet boys are too cute together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You should not look that beautiful so soon after giving birth!!! :o)

    Congrats on Conley's safe arrival! He is such a cutie! It's pretty amazing to me how different two pregnancies from the same person can be!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So precious those last pictures! Glad this time around was a bit easier...
    I am with you on hospitals..ours is a little low key and really want things to be natural but really supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Congrats to your adorable family!!! No worries about reading/commenting on blogs...rest as much as you can!! Glad your labor was MUCH shorter this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! Loved reading your story and glad that it went more quickly this time :) Enjoy these precious first days with your little boy! Hope the adjustment to 2 goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. He is beautiful. Both of your children are! Thank you so very much for sharing your experience. We recently found out that we're pregnant :) Total surprise, believe me. So, I'm researching all I can about pregnancy, labor, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on the adorable baby, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness, he is so adorable! You did fantastic! I must confess reading your post makes me want a 4th, so maybe I will get pregnant tonight? ;) Babies are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations! I don't know how I missed your post that he was here! What a handsome little man!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations Natalie! Thanks for sharing your birth story! I love hearing when moms have a natural birth because it is super inspiring! Conley is SUCH a cutie! I hope you're adjusting well to a family of four! Can't wait to see more pictures of this little guy! (And with his big brother, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am beyond impressed that you managed to go natural with pitocin- usually it's way too intense and crazy. And yes, I can add my "grr, hospitals" rant to the list...

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Congrats Natalie!! He is a beautiful little boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats again Natalie (& family) Conley is gorgeous and he makes little Nolan look so much bigger! You look wonderful, you did a great job!!
    Enjoy these weeks with your family, we aren't going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Soooooooooo precious! Congratulations to you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glad you had it easier this time. If he was a chinese baby we'd rejoice over his birthdate and weight - 8/8,8! Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi! Both our blogs were linked over at It's A Vol, so I wanted to check out your blog. Good for you for sticking it out through the pitocin- that stuff is evil, and certainly did me in! Congrats, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yea! so glad they birth went a lot faster this time-espeically the pushing time. And you look so so good right after having a baby!

    So happy for you

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am so happy for you Natalie! Yah!! Congrats mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations again! He is gorgeous. I'm glad you had a faster labor!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yaah for
    Going natural...what an awesome little man making it
    Easy on his mom:-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a swift arrival! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  38. So so precious!! I'm glad that it went more quickly this time around for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This sounds so similar to my 2 birth experiences... I labored 2 days and pushed 2 hours the first time... labored just a few house and pushed 15 minutes the 2nd time! Completely natural both time... so excited to hear about another mom who went natural!

    And yeah... hospitals drive me nuts too... I tell everyone one I know, "know your rights as a patient!... you do not have to be chained to that bed!!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips