Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sending Out a SOS

It is hard to believe that 14 months ago today that I welcomed a cute cuddly little baby boy into the world.  And this is where my breastfeeding journey began.  I didn't know if I would be able to, but I really wanted to try.  I remember reading things that said, "Oh if it hurts, you are doing it wrong."  I'm like holy cow am I totally messing this up?  After a quick visit to the the pediatrician and a quick weigh in it seemed I was doing it right and that my baby was gaining weight.  I'll never forget the feelings of anxiety I had those first few weeks when I didn't know if I was breastfeeding correctly or if he was getting enough.  After some tough weeks that including bleeding and soreness, we finally settled into a routine.  It became easier as the the weeks went by.  My goal was to make it to a year not knowing if this was at all possible.  But it was, and I made to the year mark!  I was so proud of this because you just never know how your body is going to react or how much it is going to produce.  Now my boy is totally weaned, but I have been trying to get my supply to dry up.  I started by pumping less and only twice a day to make my supply go down.

Now after reading online, it said to keep pumping less and less and then your body would just stop producing.  Well after a few weeks of this, I realized that my body that had been producing breast milk over a year was just adjusting to my new pumping schedule and not drying up.  So I went to the next step of not pumping, getting a supportive sports bra, and cold compression.  I'm going on my 4th day now, and I've got engorged boobs that hurt.  I really didn't think it would be this difficult...I thought oh one day tops.  Yeah well I guess I should have thought that my body has been doing this for over a year so it's just not ready to give up the ghost quite yet.

I'm hoping for some relief by tomorrow because this is seriously not fun.  Anyone have some advice in this situation?  I know many of you did breastfeed for over a year so I would like to hear your thoughts on how you got your milk to dry up and how long did it take.  Thanks for your help!

20 comments:

  1. With my first child it took a few days for the milk to go away. It was painful but finally it dried up. It was easier to stop with the second child. Not sure why the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like it took 3-4 days for mine to totally dry up and I was pretty engorged. I say enjoy your larger than life boobs while they last! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gradually cut everything out and it went away on it's own. Get the cabbage leaves to help with engorgement in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took a few days for me - just pump enough that you aren't in pain, and your supply should still dry up. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the soreness goes away soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It also took about 5 days for mine to completely to get past the painful engorement stage. Even longer for them to be completely dry - but at least they did not hurt.

    I had pumped less and less during my babies 12 month so that the engorgement was not too bad. Cabbage leaves definitely helped. So did a warm shower or bath....mine woudd start dripping while I was in there! An all natural milk bath! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. My experience was a slow wean so I didn't really have that problem. Hoping you/they feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy. I got nothing. My body gave up on me about 11 months in. Good luck!! I know that can't be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I breastfed for 18 months! I weaned him slowly so after 2 weeks of cutting back on feeds, we were down to one a day at night. When we stopped that, the supply dried up in less than a week, and it was less painful than just going off completely and abruptly.

    Since Nolan is already weaned, I suggest following a pumping schedule similar to if you weaned slowly. So instead of pumping 3x a day for example, cut down to 2 for a few days, then 1 for a few more days and finally, stop pumping. Or better, just er, milk yourself (gently) in the shower as opposed to pumping. I found that this way, my body actually knew I wasn't needing the milk anymore, I just needed relief.

    There will be some pain, but it'd pass. Hang on in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't make it that far, so I don't know :(
    Sorry you are in pain! Proud of you for making it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I weaned my son at 2 and that time it was down to just one feed a day. I don't think I experienced any engorged breast when I stopped. Maybe try cutting down on your pumping schedule gradually until you feel your supply's really low before you stop. Hope it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I pretty much dried up b/c of stress (in hindsight) and I barely noticed b/c it was so gradual. I think maybe just pump once/day, then pump a few minutes less than you usually do, so 15 minutes, then 10 a couple days later, etc. It'll take a while, but it will be less painful. And keep using ice! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't do it a year, BUT, I used frozen cabbage leaves inside my bra--stinky, but helped--and I had heard that sudafed helps dry you up. I took sudafed and in 3 days I was dry except for a little leaking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I had advice for you, but my kids kinda weaned themselves and it was much earlier. I hope you're almost there and through the worst of the engorgement, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't have that problem until my I had to weaning my last guy a little faster than the others. I was in pain! About day 3 or 4 I finally pumped enough to relieve the pressure and felt so much better. Things quickly got better after that. And then they shrunk. (sigh)

    Hope things are better for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm dreading when Jellybean weans. My year of work having to let me pump is almost up so I need to figure out how I'm going to adjust to that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yea as, several others said- the first did seem to be the worst- I think I was so paranoid about it that it took me about two months to wean my oldest as I was just so slowly cutting back- but with my second it was more like a few days but yet I wasn't as engogured when I stopped. So yes, I hope you get some relief soon and lots of good advice from everyone

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my goodness..you poor thing!!! I was very lucky..my body decided over the course of like 2 days that it would just stop...I've heard cabbage leaves do work to dry you up!!!

    But seriously, major props for making it a whole year - thats awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This may not be the advice you're looking for, but as soon as i got pregnant with #2, my milk dried up ;) But, that was when my first was only 3 months old, so this could be different. I commend you for making it to a year! I'm hoping to be able to do that with #3. Hope you have some relief soon, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wish I could help, I ended up not breastfeeding either of my kids for very different reasons. My oldest was born and was sick and so they immediately put her on a bottle. I tried and tried and she wanted a bottle and I was petrified she would starve and so I gave in and bottle fed her. Second child, different story but same outcome. I know both times it took 3 or 4 days for the milk to dry up and for me to stop hurting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips