Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Case of the Mom Brain

Before I had a baby, I swear I was smarter.  I really think after giving birth to him that part of my brain must have gotten pushed out and thrown away.  Seriously.  I now have the worst short term memory on the planet.  I'll walk into a room and totally forget what I was doing.  Or I'll be just thinking of something I need to write down on a to-do list...and BAM it's gone and I am stuck staring into space trying to recall the fleeting thought.

So yesterday I pull the mother of all mom brains.  I went to Kroger to buy groceries and that part went smoothly.  I bought everything on my list and was out in a hour even with the little man in tow.  As I was walking to the exit, I saw the gift cards and remembered that I was wanting to pick one up for my brother's birthday to go with his birthday card that I had already purchased.  So I ask the guy attendant at the self checkout if you can scan the card through the self checkout since I knew at some places they have to run them through the computer.  He said I could scan it no problem.

So I get my $50 Best Buy card and proceed to checkout.  Ok great...paid for and now I have double fuel points too.  My activation slip and receipt print, and then the guy attendant also hands me an activitation slip before I've even left the self checkout lane.  I've got Nolan and a full cart of groceries so I am ready to head out of there.

Fast forward to an evening walk with my husband and baby, when panic strikes me.  I can't remember putting the card in my purse.  I remember bagging it because you know the computer tells you to put item in the bag or it screams at you.  I keep searching my brain for a faint memory of seeing the card in my purse or having it at home.  Nope...nothing...nada.  I then know that I left it at Kroger in the bag at the self checkout.

I call Kroger at 8pm (my purchase was at 3:52pm) and tell them I am pretty sure I never left with the card.  They watch the tape, and yes I did leave the card.  However, the guy that checks out behind me takes me card that I paid for with MY MONEY.  The Kroger customer service people say, "Oh it looks like he didn't even see it."  So they give me a number to call Best Buy customer service to cancel the card, so they can issue a new card.

I'm thinking yes, problem solved.  I recite the card number to the nice Best Buy customer service guy.  He gets back on the line and says the card has already been used.  In fact, the guy used it at Best Buy at 5:31pm.  That literally means he left Kroger and headed straight over to Best Buy to use a card that he didn't pay for knowing that he would need to do it soon before someone called and cancelled the card.

Now yes I know I should have been more careful and not forgotten the card.  I've already beaten myself up about that...and on top of that I really REALLY hate losing things.  It drives me crazy.  It just makes me really sad that such dishonest people out there exist.  If I had been on the other side of this situation, I would have returned the card.  Or if I had gotten home with it, I would have just tossed it knowing someone would just cancel the card.  However, this guy...he knew what he was doing and made a beeline to the store to use it. 

The Best Buy customer service guy felt bad for me and is sending me a $25 Best Buy gift card.  I thought that was pretty nice since well I was the one who left it.  The people at Kroger were really nice too, and they really thought I would have no problem just cancelling the card.  Little did they know this guy was going to spend it IMMEDIATELY.  I even called Kroger back just to let them know what happened with card.

Lessons learned: 1) You really can't trust anyone.  2) I've really got to start doing memory games or something before I really go completely dumb.

Do you have mom brain...and does it ever get better?

61 comments:

  1. Ok, so mom brain exists--we can't deny it, and we can't get rid of it! BUT there is no excuse for the jerk that used your card. Who does that? My blood is boiling; I can't imagine yours!

    But, you and Nolan are safe (with your cart full of groceries), so IF something terrible had to happen, at least it was just this!

    I hope the rest of your week gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg. That's awful. I can't believe that all happened so quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah sorry that happened to you, people are dishonest, darn it.

    Mom brain never goes away :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the loser and all other such losers, you may have $50 worth of free stuff, but you're going straight to that hot place and you know it.

    By the way, the human brain was not meant to handle 47 things at the same time. They call it mommy brain for that reason. It's not a failure on your part, it's part of the condition of being a mom. It's near impossible at times to keep track of everything that you need to keep track of AND a small person or several. What happened to you could have happened to anyone. Similar things have happened to me since having a kid.

    It gets to me too when people do dishonest and just plain sucky things, but it helps to remember that these people are among a very small minority.

    I tell myself things like, If it had to happen to someone I'm glad it happened to me and not someone who could barely have managed this extra stress. It gets me by.

    Anyway, so sorry this happened to you. Nice that you got the $25 GC back - a thin silver lining.

    I hope you come in contact with much nicer people today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom brain actually started when I was pregnant and has gotten progressively worse. I still think that it sucks that the guy was so dishonest and took advantage. I hope what goes around comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boo to that guy!!!!

    About mommy brain: I'm convinced that
    you push the memory part of your brain out during labor...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a dishonest guy! I hate that you can't trust people anymore... it makes me so cynical and suspicious of everyone! what a bummer that this happened!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a jerk! I don't have kids and I forget crap all the time. I hope that guy rots in hell!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Natalie, that SUCKS. I am so sorry. What an asshole.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I have mom brain all the time! But the dishonesty of some people still amazes me. Sometimes with people I would never expect. I don't have as much trust as I used to.

    Glad they replaced your card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a jerk for using the card. Why can't people be honest and return something that doesn't belong to them? I'm sorry this happened but that was nice of Best Buy to give you a $25 gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally have mommy brain too. But wow, just wow about that guy. That was in incredibly selfish and crappy thing to do. I hope that whatever he bought breaks. I once went to an ATM and the person ahead of me had already left, but had left their card in the slot, and the computer was asking if they wanted to make another transaction. If anyone else had seen that, they could've withdrawn any amount of money. I punched "No" and took the card and went inside to hand it to the bank manager so it could be returned to the rightful owner. It was the only thing to do--the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sucks! I'm sorry.

    I think mommy brain gets better after awhile. I'm still a little slow, but it's getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gahhh!! I would be so disappointed with that man too! I feel so bad for you- and no sense in dwelling what we forget from time-to-time, it'll happen more often than you'd like... and that man will get what's coming to him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel terrible for you that it happened, and it ticks me off that the guy purposely set out to do something so dishonest. I hate that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mommy brain is very real and it can strike at any time! I've left the groceries at the store!! I've found the milk in the cupboard and the coffee in the fridge. Or several cups of coffee in various stages of completion throughout the house (good thing I don't smoke!). I almost left the house once after putting son on the bus....forgetting I had another child sleeping in the house! Although I have not actually forgetten a child anywhere...yet. LOL
    Boo hoo to that guy! *warts!*

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have Mom brain but have (frequently) been described as an air head, and this is something I would do. It makes me sad that he was shady and took advantage of someone so nice. I hope whatever he got at best buy doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also in no way am I calling YOU an airhead..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my. I would have been fuming if that happened to me. The nerve of some people.

    All in all, it sounds like you handled it well.

    And as for mom brain...um...I forgot what I was going to say. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry. What a loser! I can't believe he did that. Don't lose faith in people-most would not have done that. You just ended up with the bad apple behind you.
    That is pretty cool that Kroger checked their security tapes to see what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a complete jerk!! He'll get a taste of his own medicine. I found you thru my blogging friend, erins blog, and I'm now following. I look forward to reading more:) if you can, I would love a follow back at www.the-mommyhood-chronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am still baffled at how some people are now. There really dishonest and cruel people out there. So sorry you had to deal with that.

    I have a horrible case of the mommy brain. Sad to tell you though, it doesn't get worse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Natalie this is so sad and disgusting that this guy would go straight to the store and spend YOUR card!! I feel sorry for you, I read this to my husband, it's easy to believe there are dishonest people out there but I hope there are more good people to make up for it.
    You had the wrong guy come behind you in the checkout :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm with you, I have mom brain something awful. That sucks that the guy just took advantage like that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is nice that of Best Buy - but seriously, I can't believe that guy! That's really terrible. Sorry about your mom brain episode!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't think it's mom brain, I think it's a busy woman with a full plate and piling more high while still trying to be efficient. I'm not even a mom and still have these mom brain moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. So I think it might not be mom brain...I think it might be I am getting old brain (thirties). I totally have the same short term memory problems! :) But I also think it could be stress, moving back to a crazy busy country memory loss ;)
    You should report the guy who stole your gift card to the police. I am sure they have him on tape at Best Buy and Kroger...maybe you could identify him and then go call him out!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My mom claims to have "Mom Brain," too!! She said that giving birth to me made her dumb.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  29. No solutions for mom brain. But I have a solution for that jack @$$: karma.

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh mom brain is for real~ha!! been there! i swear it gets better:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like to believe that mom brain gets better.
    I hope dishonest people also grow a brain and a heart!
    How awful of him to do that!
    Hope you're week get better!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ever heard of Sudoku? I read somewhere it can really boost your memory :)
    I totally have mom brain. I used to be able to shop without a list, now I forget things even with a list!
    So sorry for what happened. That's true you can never trust anyone especially with things that involves money!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That sucks! I'm so sorry. :( Mom brain is such a pain!!! You're SO right, you could be in the middle of a sentence and totally blank out! Aahh! Annoying! Hope it makes you feel better to know that I am suffering with you :) Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This just makes me SO mad-the nerve of some people!!! I'm glad best buy at least gave you a $25 GC but wish there was something that could be done about the dude who used your card knowing he had not paid for it!

    And yes-my mom brain is awful-I'm so glad you posted this because some days I seriously feel like I should go to the doctor and get my head examined just to make sure there isn't anything going on up there that shouldn't be!!

    Hope y'all are having a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. That REALLY sucks.

    I'm so glad to read your update today that you are getting your money back!

    ReplyDelete
  36. People are such assholes. The fact that it happens so quickly boggles my mind. I left my purse in a shopping cart last Christmas. I drove away, noticed in less than 2 minutes, drove back and it was gone. Hauled butt home (another 5 minutes), Jeff and I split duties canceling cards. These people stole my purse and put $72 worth of gas on my Amex in a matter of 9 minutes according to Amex.

    ReplyDelete
  37. My, that was just awful! At least, you and Nolan are ok. It could be worse, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I was really happy to hear that you got your $50 back from the two stores combined. I wish we had a Kroger's here, I would definitely give them my business.

    Best Buy has plenty of our business already, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lol!!! This is a great post!!! :) nope, mom brain is here to stay!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my Gosh, I cannot believe that guy did that. What a jerk!
    I am so sorry. This story actually makes me so mad. People are just awful!
    On that note, happy SITS day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. That's just terrible. When things like that happen, I think that karma kicks in. That guy will get what he deserves, eventually.

    And, yes, it does get better. You'll still have mommy brain, but I think it gets more clear as they get older. Of course, I don't have teens yet...

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh that is terrible about your gift card. Too many people are just not nice anymore!

    As a mom of two I was a SAHM when the kids were younger and can totally identify with Mom Brain. It does get better, but for me it wasn't until the kids were in school. (And by better I don't mean you won't forget anything as you are trying to balance a million things, you will just forget less. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I definitely have mom brain. I can't remember anything anymore. I'm sorry this happened. I would have taken the card to customer service or something. I hate that people are so dishonest.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Mom brain improves as the comprehension of your kids improves. But then old age comes and it still happens, you just can't blame the kids.

    And what a terrible story. Every time my mom brain has left something behind some nice person has turned it in. I think electronics have a higher appeal though. Sorry for your loss. Happy SITS day.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm convinced that you lose half your brain with each child. So after two, you pretty much have nothing left. I've had five, so I wonder what that says about me.

    Sorry about the card. Sorry about the selfish, stealing man. I'm glad BestBuy was nice to you.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh no - that's terrible! I'm such an honest person and I expect others to be the same. I'm so disappointed when things like this happen because I don't understand how people could be so dishonest!

    I have a one year old son and I totally agree with you on the mommy brain thing. It if makes you feel better, I've purchased groceries and few times, paid for them, then walked away and left them at the till. Ugh! I'm always just focused on making sure I've got the baby...I seem to forget about everything else.

    I can't promise you that it gets better but I sure hope it does!

    Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I don't know, a $25 gift card is not that bad...

    ReplyDelete
  48. I'm not a mom and I would swear I have it too. I'm so ridiculously scatterbrained at times it's hilarious.

    Sorry about the jerk using your card. Some people really just suck.

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  49. {Melinda}I'm afraid your condition is chronic. Mine are 12 and 15 and I still have a terrible case of Mom Brain. One of my most common phrases is, "I can't believe I forgot that!" You'd think because I do it so often that eventually I would indeed begin to believe that I forgot that.

    Lists are my friend, but I haven't yet figure out how to get a list to remind me to bring the grocery bag home or not leave the milk on the counter overnight, etc. etc.

    You realize that by the time we no longer have kids at home, it will be time for senility to kick in!

    Congrats on your SITS Day! And for your decision to be an at-home mommmy. You won't regret it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I have mom brain and it doesn't get any better. I think I need to do some memory games too cause mom brain has been kicking in over time. Even on the job (that's not good at all).

    ReplyDelete
  51. Oh, that stinks. I HATE to lose things too - but I also have the mommy brain and have made some similar mis-steps.

    ReplyDelete
  52. "Mom Brain" is definitely real! I experience it every single day. So sorry about the Best Buy card incident. I'm glad they were nice about it.
    Congrats on your SITS day - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  53. OMG! That is awful! Yes, it is a shame that there aren't more honest people in the world. How can that guy live with himself knowing that he stole someone else's card!?

    As far as the 'mommy brain' goes...I too hoped that mine would go away after my children got a bit older and a regular (well semi-regular) sleep pattern returned...alas I still have many moments of mommy-brain :(

    ReplyDelete
  54. Like everyone else, mom brain does exist...but do you need me to come to your town and help you find the dishonest dude? Really??? I know how I am, that would bother me for a minute...thank goodness I'm a praying woman. But I would like to confront old dude...really!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I now know I am not the only one who does this. I once tried to pay for groceries with my library card...yup, my library card.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I do silly things a lot. I will go to put the ketchup up and only realize that I am trying to put it in the microwave because it didn't fit. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Oh, I really feel your pain! I'm constantly getting that panic-stricken feeling of "Did I forget my wallet/iPhone/purse/etc.?" Generally, I'm like you, and I've just misplaced whatever I'm looking for, but I have noticed these incidents do coincide with my being overtired from a long day of motherhood. Thanks for sharing your story and Happy SITS Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. This happens to me all the time with my cell phone!

    ReplyDelete
  59. My husband even says that I used to know everything before I had kids. Totally agree with him!
    Here from SITS!!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  60. Maybe a little better...but you get really really good at making lists, if only I could remember where I put them...
    And, What a jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Let's hope Karma is a b*tch for this guy! He obviously saw you buy it and leave it and made no attempt to run after you to make sure you got it! What a jerk!

    Mommy brain hasn't really gone away for me yet and mine are 3.5 and 6!

    visiting from SITS

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips