Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Confidence As We Age

After having two kids and aging, I find new thoughts running through my head.

For instance, I've recently started attending a local barre studio that has mirrors. I realize that I don't look in the mirror CLOSELY that often. So here I am with a well lit room staring at my reflection.

"Wow do I usually look this tired? I really should do something about those black circles."
"I really wish I had a stronger chin..seriously."
"I probably should have worn makeup if I knew I was going to stare at myself."
"Does everyone look as awkward as I do attempting this pose?"
"I wish I could look more natural doing these moves, you know why couldn't I have been more cheerleader like?"

These are just of a few thoughts that run though my mind. Don't get me wrong, it's a great workout, and I'm getting good results. I'm still working on the dreaded "mom tummy area" (thanks Conley for that one!) but it's definitely looking better to me.

I think as I age I have confidence in other things such as raising my kids and my opinions on certain matters. But when it comes to my appearance and how I see myself, I feel that confidence as lessened.

What about you? Do you feel less or more confidence as you age?

Natalie

9 comments:

  1. I feel more confident in most other areas(or at least, it feels that way because I care less what others think as I've gotten older) but I feel happy about my body. I'm more comfortable now in knowing that the only one scrutinizing my body that closely is me(and maybe if someone hates me) where when I was younger and my body was better, I felt like I was judged more(even though I wasn't).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually feel better about myself now that I'm older (nearly 40!), because:
    a) I've stopped caring what other people think
    b) I've accepted that my body will NEVER be the same after 3 pregnancies
    c) I love my insides more than I do my outsides

    For the record, I think you look wonderful, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Less and more, I guess. Sometimes I just don't care but other times I don't like the face in the mirror at all. And I do wish I had a stronger chin too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I feel both- I definitely feel less confident about my body and just hate some parts of it (mommy gut)- but then at the same time I just feel more confident about who I am as a person and am overall happy with the person I am, so the looks just don't matter as much. But I definitely have days where I look in the mirror and want to cry a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you're talking about. All sorts of things have cropped up in the past 2-3 years that I never had to deal with in my teens and 20's - melasma, tummy pooch, flappy upper arms. Some days these things bother me more than others - it definitely had an effect on my confidence at first. Now, with so much else going on in my life, I just don't pay as much attention anymore. Of course, I don't hang out around rooms full of mirrors very often either. :) That helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree -- your confidence increases in other areas. As you find yourself more and more capable of handling many things. And growing as a person, wife, mother.
    As for the physical? I have accepted I will never look 20 again. I have my complaints about my body....but mostly? I just give no ##$$@!s anymore. LOL That comes after 40, when I finally accepted that the very, very last thing I want to judged on; is an external value. There is so much more to me.
    but my husband counters, "yeah, because you're beautiful - of course you don't worry, beautiful women don't have to."
    and that --- also goes a long way to helping ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Overall my confidence is much better than when I was younger. And as far as my aging body goes...well it is what it is. I'm not going to drive myself crazy over it. I work out (probably not as much as I should) but that's where I'm at at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely more confident in my body now than I was 10 years ago. I contribute it to my age... *I'm almost 40 and I just don't care. My theory is if people don't like the way I look, they can look the other way! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can have my strong chin! ;) I feel like a have more confidence over all, yes. But I hate struggling back and forth with my weight so sometimes that brings that confidence level down a little, unfortunately. You look great, Natalie! And great job on the barre class!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips