Monday, May 19, 2014

A Weekend Away

This past weekend was the first one where we left both kids for three nights. My husband had business in Chicago, so I started playing around with the idea of flying to join him.

I flew up bright and early on Friday morning and landed around 8am Chicago time. My husband took the L and met me off the plane. It ended up being kind of rainy so we flip flopped our plans for going to the Cubs game and instead went to the Art Institute of Chicago. But before we went there we had breakfast at The Little Goat Diner which is a restaurant from the Top Chef winner Stephanie. It was DELICIOUS! I'm a big fan of breakfast food so this totally fit the bill.


At the Art Institute, we pretty much checked out every exhibit but I really loved the Impressionism gallery...Monet, Renoir, Manet to just to name a few!

After walking in the cold, we decided to get a pick me up at Starbucks. That night we ate some Dim Sum which was my first time. It did not disappoint! So yummy! We then stopped at the restaurant next to our hotel and had dessert. It definitely hit the spot!

The next day it was a little warmer and the sun was out. So we had breakfast at the Eleven City Diner. Seriously to.die.for.


Then it was off to watch the Cubs play!




We then had a nice Italian dinner and went to a piano bar called Howl at the Moon. This is not your traditional piano bar where they play Billy Joel or Elton John. They were playing all kinds of popular music from Katy Perry to Rihanna. It was really neat, and they had a violin, electric guitar, and more! We had a fun time people watching too and their were like 10 bachelorette parties and two that I met were actually from Canada.

This was our second trip to Chicago, so we had already experienced the Architecture Boat Tour, Navy Pier, The Field Museum, a Food Walking tour, Willis Tower, the Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, a Double Decker bus tour, and lots of Chicago style food.


Have you visited Chicago?

Natalie

20 comments:

  1. You know I love a good travel post! Your trip sounds perfect! You packed a lot in without being TOO busy. I'd love to see Chicago someday. It's my husband's favorite American city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Chicago! And next time you're there, eat breakfast at Yolk. It's DELISH! We also always have a good time at Second City. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun weekend! I went to Chicago for BlogHer last year but am dying to go back with Brandon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Chicago! We've been there several times and we can always find something new or fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great weekend for the two of you!! I had the pleasure of going to Chicago this past summer. I had a lot of fun and would definitely go again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a fantastic weekend away! Yes I have been to Chicago twice, but haven't done any of those things! It all looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had a great time! I bet the kids did too with their grandparents (right?).

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds great! How fun to have a weekend away with the hubs! I love Chicago but it has been forever since we've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much fun! Ahh a weekend away without the kids - such a great idea! Chicago is so much fun, need to plan a trip on back there :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! I love Chicago. I went in January once and I thought I might die. I went again in October and it was pretty warm and perfect. We had a blast although that time I stayed in the Hyde Park area.
    How did the boys do?
    We had just one night away recently but the kids were fine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The very first trip I ever took with my now hubby (then boyfriend) was to Chicago! We LOVED it and hope to get back there one day! Going to Wrigleyville and the Cubs game was one of our favorite parts! So glad you got the chance to get away with your hubby!-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like such a fun weekend! I have never been to Chicago but it seems like it would be fabulous place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE Chicago. We are thinking about taking the kids this summer. Looks like you had a great trip and lots of yummy food. My kind of girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun weekend for you & your hubby! I've never been to Chicago myself but would love to go one day. We're going on a mini vacation for our anniversary this summer & leaving Addison overnight for the first time. My parents are generous enough to come in town to stay with her. I think I'm most excited about being able to lay out by a pool & not worry about a toddler around the water. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah for romantic rendez vous!! Looks like you guys had a great time.
    I'd love to visit Chicago one day.... especially all that yummy looking food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been to Chicago. I love the city and at one point wanted to live there. My husband is actually from there so we get back pretty often.

    Sounds like you had a great time! Loving all the pics of the food. Maybe I'm just greedy. Lucky for you guys that your were able to get away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww looks like so much fun girl!! So glad the sun came out the next day! I have never been to Chicago and definitely on my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't been to Chicago in eons! It sounds like it was a fun trip! The thing I remember the most there was the good food...it's always about the food with me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I adore Chicago but I've only seen a little bit of it (been there for BlogHer twice!) I would love to go back and see more. Millennium Park is great but I need to see museums and others stuff too!

    Glad y'all had a weekend away together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yea! My home town! So happy you had a fun trip. I love the Art institute. Even though I grew up in Chicago I have never been to a Cubs game ( have been to a Sox game- mostly because my dad got free tickets a couple of times)- but definitely something I regret never doing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips