Friday, May 4, 2012

The Strange-r Encounters Brought to You by Samantha

Since the family and I will soon be heading off to catch some much needed rays, I've got some of my bloggy friends filling in for me to keep you entertained!  Starting us off is my Jersey gal Samantha who blogs over at Adventures with Gwen.  We've been bloggy friends for awhile---probably almost since I started this blog a little over a year ago.  She has a precious little girl, Gwen that is just a little older than Nolan and full of life and character.  So after you read her guest post, head on over to read some of their adventures whether it be Gwen's dance moves or her booking some acting gigs! 


Photobucket
Hey, peeps! My name is Sam and I blog over @ Adventures With Gwen! I am a stay-at-home Momma to my 19-month old daughter, Gwen and my fur baby, Wiley, and wifey to the man of my dreams, Jason. I am a Jersey girl through and through, I love the beach, good wine, trashy reality TV, dance parties, and of course, my fam. I was so excited when Natalie asked me to write this post, she was one of my first bloggy friends, and I just love reading about her life and that adorable little man, Nolan. {seriously HOW cute is that face??!?!}

I think that all Mommas can relate when I say that the SECOND we find out that we are expecting, we begin reading, researching, planning, and getting MORE advice than we know what to do with. Right? I mean, the minute ANYONE sees that growing belly of ours, they can't control themselves.

"Breastfeeding is really best, the baby really benefits"
"Make sure that you don't let them sleep on their stomach"
"Similac is the best formula."

It just doesn't stop. BUT, what they don't prepare you for, is the incredibly dumb and outright rude people that will approach you and say the STRANGEST things. Currently, I am an EXPERT in this field! Seriously, the encounters that I have had while out with my baby are so out there, that you would think I made them up. I didn't.

Here's some background, although my baby is beautiful, we are lacking in the "hair" department, like, we can't even get a clip in and she is OVER the whole headband thing for the moment. SO, I have learned that no matter if she is dressed in head-to-toe Pepto-Bismol Pink or that her adorable earrings are showing, I need to stamp "I'M A GIRL" on her forehead, or expect her to be called a boy.

I used to just smile and laugh it off, but after almost 2 years of silly strangers ruining my day, I now point out very bluntly, "Girl!" They almost look shocked when I respond, saying, "Excuse me?" "Umm, she is a girl, see the pink and the pierced ears?!?!" They always laugh and apologize, and I follow up by asking, "Wouldn't I be the worst mother in the world if I dressed my son in all pink and pierced his ears??"

I've made my point, and they are defeated. Winning! :)

My most recent "encounter" happened just the other day, on my birthday, while out to dinner with my little family. An older man, 60s-ish, walked over to our table, and stroked Gwen's hair as he said "Aren't you just SO handsome!?!?" {She was in a dress, stockings, and Mary Janes}

The steam began to blow out of my ears, I mean not only did you call her handsome but you are touching my child?!?! Look out old man, Momma bear is about to be unleashed! Lol. But I pulled it together, smiled and said "You mean GORGEOUS!"

He looked like a deer in headlights.

"Oh my goodness, yes, gorgeous, that's what I meant!" The poor, sweet man was so apologetic and began telling me how beautiful she was and so I quickly put my Momma bear back in her cage. He then proceeded to show us pictures of his grandchildren and share details of their lives. Then, he bought my husband and I a drink... I guess you could say I forgave him :)

I don't know if I'll ever find the humor in it, but I am getting better with dealing with my "Strange-r" Encounters... I think. Ha. Maybe I should add on my own chapter to the "What to Expect..." series, seeing as how I am basically a pro! Thanks so much for having me again, Natalie! And thank you guys for reading! Stop over and say hi sometime! xoxo.

**************************************************
Now I know we've all had some weird stranger encounters...but I tell you Samantha and Gwen have so many stories.  Apparently, when you have a child it gives complete strangers the right to give you their advice and comments.  Thanks again Gwen for your guest post!  Now everyone head on over to her blog and show her some love :)

8 comments:

  1. Ugh I hate the unsolicited advice and touching! Samantha - my cousin's baby is also hair less and everyone always mistake her for a boy. It's frustrating so I feel for you!

    Natalie - enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAHH - I couldn't agree more!!! Addie used to get the same thing before her hair started coming in - it drove me crazy!!!

    Enjoy your vaca - can't wait to hear all about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should TOTALLY add on to that book! I got called a boy for years because I was lacking the hair and my poor younger cousin who is almost three is still lacking in that department. Luckily, I now have long, thick hair! So hopefully this means lots of thick hair for Gwen in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. People are so weird!

    My oldest two are 25 months apart, but as my 3rd one puts it they have the same face. But they are obviously very different size wise (they are both very average sizes) especially at 1 and 3. Nonetheless everyone I would encounter would ask if they were TWINS!

    Crazy!!!

    I have to say I did feel a little sorry for the old man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People say the dumbest things - perhaps they think they'll just grace you with their presence?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, that really would be SO annoying!!!! If I'm not sure of the sex of a baby, I always just say "look how cute!" Haha. It can go either way!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes- strangers please don't touch my baby! That poor guy he truly did feel bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids were really quite good-natured little tikes, but if a stranger approached them, they would just glower!

    I'm just shocked the dress wasn't enough to indicate she's a girl! Goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips