Would they like me? Would they be like they are online? Or will it be like high school cliques?
Fortunately, the hosts, Tiffany and Francesca were amazing. They were the first people I met on Friday evening when I attended the cocktail hour, and Francesca ran up to me and said, "Are you my Natalie?" (Because I'm a community lead for SITS) I said yes and she immediately gave me a big hug.
Instantly, my reservations were taken away by the kindness and the support these ladies showed me. Tiffany was absolutely inspirational during her part of the program and brought many to tears by just talking about how we as women really never give ourselves a break and don't take time to care for "me." And it's so true...I think in general, especially as moms, our needs and wants come last. She really challenged us to take those breaks and to learn to say, "No, thank you" when asked to do something that you really don't want to do. She said you don't owe anyone a reason or an explanation. She said you can't do it all, all the time so don't feel bad if you have to say no. That's some powerful stuff right there!
I learned so much about SEO which to me is almost as hard as rocket science. I learned about ways to publish a book (no I'm not writing one or want to, just good food for thought!), how to optimize your SEO, and to ask the question, what is my end? What do I want to do with my blogging? That my friends is still a question I haven't answered.
I learned about why it's important to use Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+. Let's just say I have not really jumped into the Google+ world and have been scared, but it looks like after this conference I'm going to try it out. If you are on there, what do you think?
Many more items were covered from good design, about being engaging, and how to approach brands. I know I'm leaving a lot out---however that is even more reason you need to go to a blog conference to find out! :)
The bloggers I met were amazing. Everyone was so positive and supportive! No one was trying to be all like "I have a huge blog and your little one means nothing to me." Everyone was so open and kind...all trying to help one another out. I really was impressed...and even more about all the different types of blogs out there. I guess I kind of classify myself as a mommy/lifestyle blog...and really most people were not in that category. It was truly a wonderful experience and not a dull moment. The speakers were great, and they kept the pace going so we didn't get bored.
Also not to mention the cool sponsors of Brew Over Ice (iced drinks for your Keurig), yummy Salsarita's, and HELLO free tasty wine from Mirassou (Loved the Riesling and the Pinot Grigio)
I didn't take many photos because I was soaking it all in, but here are a few from the weekend:
1) View from our condo of the city of Charlotte
2) My Brew Over Ice Strawberry Pomegranate drink=heaven!
3) Meeting one of my favorite bloggers/friends the famous Shell
4) Nolan playing at the Discovery Museum in the Kid Science area. (He went with Daddy and Grandma while I was at the conference...more photos of their adventure soon!)
Have you been to a blog conference or are planning to go?
Natalie

Sounds awesome, Natalie. Glad you got to go and meet all those wonderful people!
ReplyDeleteIt was fun to meet you...I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you more! Wish it had been a whole weekend!!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe I sat only one table away from you at the last session. I remember because I loved how your necklace matched your pants.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds wonderful! I would love to go to a conference one day - it would be great to meet those I see online all the time!
ReplyDeleteIt would be a dream to go one time, but I'm a wall flower :)
ReplyDeleteYou described it perfectly :) Glad I met you! I made a little Google+ effort last night, but it kind of scares me. I hope I'll get the hang of it at some point!
ReplyDeleteYour blog is beautiful! Thanks for the recap. Loving reading everyone's from the conference.
ReplyDeleteSo much fun! :)
ReplyDeleteI hate we didn't get to meet IRL, but that's okay.. there will be other conferences and we have our online Tribe now!!
ReplyDeleteNice Recap! Definitely jump in to G+ it takes a little getting used to but soon you will be plussing like a pro! We have a community there--and we would love to have you! Here's the link for you (ugly looking as it is!) https://plus.google.com/communities/116901432731919838608?utm_source=bk&utm_medium=ha&utm_campaign=plusgeneralb2c&utm_term=%2Bgoogleplus&gclid=CJG9rJv8p7cCFdKd4AodMRUAbA
ReplyDeleteYea! Glad you were able to attend this.
ReplyDeleteI am on Google plus but I must admit I barely used it and don't 100% get the benefit of it-- that said though I am doing a hangout/chat tomorrow on it, so I guess I must use it. ;)
Really most bloggers do seem really nice and awesome. Glad you had fun.
It was SO GREAT to meet you this weekend! You were absolutely as delightful and adorable as we had imagined! :)
ReplyDeletecongratulations on your first bloggy boot camp! looks like an amazing weekend for you girl. And Nolan is looking like a big boy on that pic!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! I really want to get to a blogging event this year. It is one of my goals, but I sure have been slacking on the blog, lately. Life has just gotten so busy!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great conference! I have been to a homeschool conference as a blogger but not to a blog conference. I hope to to some soon!
ReplyDeleteSo much fun! I can't wait til July and BlogHer! I am nervous though!
ReplyDeleteI woukd,love to go to a conference but I'm just waiting for one to,come to,NY.
ReplyDeleteI went to BlogHer a few years ago. It was lots of good info but it was also overwhelming. I think next time I'd choose a smaller conference.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you learned lots of good stuff!
This looks like so much fun! I really hope that someday in the future I will be able to attend a bloggy conference and if I can, I'm definitely going to make it the Bloggy Boot Camp!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great write up. I love this and can't wait to do another Blogger conference, too (especially with free yummy wine ;) ).
ReplyDeleteGlad you got to go!! I would be soooo nervous too. Sounds like you learned a lot!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Not on Google+ but am thinking about it. Just seems like a lot of work right now ;)
Looks like an amazing time and you came away with a lot of good info!
ReplyDeleteYay, I'm so glad you had a great time!! I'm looking forward to hopefully going in the fall to the BBC here.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had a good time! I haven't jumped into Google+ yet either, but I'm not sure if I'm up for another platform to spend time on, you know?
ReplyDeleteOh I love Charlotte, NC, and one of these days I would love to go to this conference. I'm so glad you had fun, met some of your bloggy friends in real life, and learned a lot of cool SEO stuff. I know one of these days I'll make the time (and save the money) to go!! So happy for you!
ReplyDeleteI don't think we got a chance to meet but I agree with your takeaways: Tiff and Fran are great and there was so much information shared I just want to go to another conference to soak it all in again. I'll be following on FB and Twitter, hopefully we will meet at another conference!
ReplyDeleteNatalie, we didn't cross paths. I had a busy week, so I just posted my recap and am hoping around the link up. It was my first as well and I share so many of your sentiments. It was an awesome day. Next time hopefully we can chat. Google + is at the top of my list!
ReplyDeleteI am glad I got to meet you, albeit briefly. It was such a great day and I am still decompressing all of the great knowledge I learned there. And I love G+. It moves more slowly than Twitter so I feel like I have a chance to "meet" more bloggers there and pay attention more. Looking forward to seeing more of you over there.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad the conference went well! Still kicking myself for missing the fact that there was a blog conference an hour from my home! Oh well, next year :) I'm headed to blogHer next month and am getting insanely excited and nervous!
ReplyDelete