After reading Ashley's post last night from the blog Happiness Is..., I really felt the need to write this post. Basically, she talked about how in today's society people are looked down upon for wanting to leave work at a decent hour to spend time OUTSIDE of work. Yes I know it's an unheard of concept in this country---but really we do have lives outside of work. This really hit home with me because before I was a SAHM I worked in a corporate environment that had ZERO respect for personal lives. Whether you have a family or not, I think everyone deserves the right to enjoy and have a life outside of work. In my previous job, my boss and his boss would make me feel guilty for not wanting to work until 7pm or the fact that I might have plans on a Saturday. They seriously thought our #1 priority was work and nothing else. I'm not saying you can't be dedicated to your job, but I think we all have the right to work hard and to thoroughly enjoy our time outside of work. And that's the oxymoron of it all---even if you aren't at work, you worry about it or feel guilty for leaving at a decent hour. It's just very sad that we spend most our lives working for companies that could just replace us with a drop of a hat instead of being able to spend more time with family and friends. I don't see this changing anytime soon, but I think if it did we would find that people would be happier in their lives if our livelihoods didn't revolve around a job.
Ok that's my soapbox on this issue...please read Ashley's post because she really hit the nail on the head with her post!
My Dad always tells me how important it so to work to live, not live to work.I think this is an awesome philosophy to live by. Work isn't life and should never be mistaken for it.
ReplyDeleteOh so true. I don't know about elsewhere, but in Asia, people seem to take some kind of strange pride in working really long hours, or that they stayed til 10pm working their tails off. And that kind of attitude is encouraged by the management!
ReplyDeleteTowards the end of my career, I left work when work was done. And that was that, didn't care what people thought!
Yep!! I agree with this whole thing.. I also think employees would actually get more out of their employees if they didn't ask for the extra hours.. they would be more dedicated in the hours they were there.. instead of being like ohh I know that I will have to work late I might as well take a break or whatever.
ReplyDeleteI know that feeling all too well. I even saw people getting upset if a coworker had to leave early to pick up her sick kid! It's like people expect you to put your job ahead of everything--family, children, yourself. I don't get it either. I mean, do you not want to go home and live your life either??
ReplyDeleteAw thanks for the shout out! I worked in investment banking and once was there at 4:00am wondering what the hell I was doing with my life. Hence I left. At the end of the day, it's just a job! But we, as a country, seem to emphasize that the more you work, the better/smarter/richer you are. Relationships and experiences make you rich, not work! UGH!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Very well said, Natalie! :)
ReplyDeleteLove both blogs! How about when i told the eyeglass lady who was fitting my glasses that Im a sahm she said "oh, really? You just dont hear that anymore." Sad statement really
ReplyDeleteI completely agree! The other day a friend told me his company actually celebrated a co-worker's divorce because it meant he'd have more time to dedicate to the job. Isn't that crazy?
ReplyDeleteso so true. the hours of overtime (unpaid) I logged as a single person...hoping it would be remembered when the days of family arrived. forget it. when I went on child care leave - which is completely as per our collective agreement....they gave my job away.
ReplyDeleteI now have to find a new position, or repay the maternity benefits I received for a year.
thanks boss. luv ya too. can't wait to come back. really NOT
Honestly, I am really bad about judging people who stay too late. I just can't imagine wanting to work past my 3:30 hour! I enjoy working and getting out of the house, but you literally couldn't pay me to spend evenings and hours there, it's just not worth it. Work is work, and the second that I walk out the door I leave it there... I don't need to take it home and think about it, it will be there tomorrow, and there are very few things that can be done in my job at 7pm. :)
ReplyDeleteTotally agree! I see my sister who has worked in a corporate environment since college and she struggles with work and home life. She finally has a boss that understands....but it took 10 years to get there.
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to this. My last job we were expected to stay until at least 6PM, even though the legal hours were 5:30. I think the newer generations are of the mindset taht if you get all your work done you can go home. That's why at my current job, I don't mind being here late if it's because I have a project that needs to get done.
ReplyDeleteWhat an excellent post! I'm happy that I work for a company that is very supportive of family, but you see in my industry all to well a level of competition on who got in earlier and who worked later. Who cares? Just do what you need to get done and fulfill the duties of your job.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you. If I need to take Evie to the doctor, I am guilted into leaving her 2/3 of the day at the daycare and taking the last little bit to get her to the last appt at the pediatrician. The last time this happened I felt so awful about it I swore I would never do it again, When my kid is sick she needs ME, her mommy and work will just have to get over it.
ReplyDeleteBefore I had my second child, I worked a lot and I could have worked more. I couldn't do it anymore after my second came along. I had to make a choice between work and family. I think I picked the right path.
ReplyDeleteI don't think some people understand the fact that we work to live not live to work. There is a huge difference and some people really need to find a balance in their lives. Very well said girl
ReplyDeleteMy sister works for a company who has that exact corporate philosophy and she feels intense pressure to work long after the traditional 9 to 5 hours. The company breeds workaholics and if you don't want to be one, you won't last at that company. Sad.
ReplyDeleteI agree! Work is not my life! I'm so thankful that Caleb and I have jobs that we can leave at work and not think about over the weekend - I know that is rare!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more with you, Natalie. In my opinion, it is unhealthy to think of your job as your whole life and let it define you that way. You work to live, not live to work. There has to be a balance like with everything else in life. Fantastic post!
ReplyDeleteThis hits major nerves so much. Because my previous employer had zero respect for family time or personal lives. Most people in management had kids of their own so it would make sense that they would "understand" the desire to want to leave work 'on time' or as early as possible. While some companies do flex hours, my old company was a stickler for pretty much everything. I'm thankful for the opportunity of the new job that allows me so much more time with the kiddos and the hubs- all while balancing a full-time career. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are able to be home with your children so you don't have to worry about work. As if you'd actually have plans on a Saturday, right? ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Now if all employers and companies could read this, maybe something would change.
Well done! Well said!
ReplyDeleteExactly what a previous commenter said... I want to work to live not live to work. I think this country puts too much emphasis on working and not enough on enjoying life. So many people don't even use their vacation time because they simply can't. How sad...
ReplyDeleteTotally agree! It is sad how much some people have to live at their jobs. My BIL worked for a law firm where he was required to have so many billable hours so was working 90 hr work weeks!
ReplyDeleteThis is so true and when your done working I'm pretty sure people don't think you have much of a brain.
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate. My husband's boss called a meeting from 5:00 - 6:30 on Tuesday. He coaches soccer. He missed it. I work from home so nobody knows when I come and go. Much easier. I had a hard time when I went back to the office for a while. It didn't work for our family.
ReplyDeleteYou know, I used to care a whole lot about things like this. What people think. Do they think I'm a hard worker? Am I worthy? Screw that. As I get older, I do what I need to do. I know I work hard. I know I love my family. I don't care what anyone thinks if I have to leave early at a certain time or something.
ReplyDeleteThat's a big reason that I left the working world. I couldn't handle that I was expected to put my family on hold so I could do one more thing or attend one more meeting.
ReplyDeleteYou know what they say about all work and no play!!
ReplyDelete