Friday, April 20, 2012

The Bond of Motherhood

Since I have been a member of my local Stroller Strides group I have met a lot of amazing women.  Most of them are transplants here due to my city being a college town so many have moved here due to employment or their husband's employment.  As I look at these women, I realize wow I am really with some diverse women.  In the group, there are women with degrees from Princeton, Stanford, UMASS, Michigan, Harvard, Duke, and Yale just to mention a few.  Some of the women were born in different countries like Italy, Puerto Rico, and Spain.  Some of the women were or are teachers, oncologists, psychologists, engineers, volleyball and swim coaches.  But what do you think we talk about when we get together?  It's not about the meaning of life or how to solve the world's problems--it's about what food our kids are eating, what their poop looks like, what kind of diapers we use, how we get them to sleep, where we find deals on toys/clothes, and what *free, fun* activities can we take them to enjoy.  This shows me what a strong bond motherhood really is...it doesn't matter your education, your culture, or the size of your bank account.  It's about doing the best for your child and trying to raise them best way you know how.  It's about leaning on one another when you aren't getting any sleep or your child is throwing tantrums that make you want to pull your hair out.  It's about knowing that someone else knows EXACTLY how you feel and validates you.

The bond of motherhood is strong and awesome, and I'm so glad I do get to experience it!

21 comments:

  1. I love that you have such great and diverse group of people to share your "mommy-ness" with- both IRL and on this blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. having such a great group of women to share this journey of motherhood definitely makes the trip more enjoyable.
    So happy and grateful for those friends I have in real life, and the virtual ones, like you, that always, always just make each day better. eternal thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right! It sounds like the stroller stride moms are a great little support system!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is truly a bond like no other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post, Natalie! Definitely resonates with anyone that is a mom, not that I am, but I like it that such a diverse, intelligent group can come together and still puts family first :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I love this post! You are such a good mama, Natalie!

    Hope y'all have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep...it's a universal connection, for sure! How neat to have a group where you can go and interact with a bunch of women with kids the same age. Sounds like that class has become way more than just a way to exercise for you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so true! It is really awesome that way-- and also why it drives me crazy when moms attack other moms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My playgroup is made of transplant moms too. We all grew up in different places, but struggle with the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are very lucky to have found that bond with women you enjoy being around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so right! It doesn't matter what you have in common or if you know each other. If you have children you have common groun immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Motherhood certainly does bring people together. Maybe people you wouldn't have originally thought you would have a lot in common with you end up do and you made that connection through your children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post so much!! You are the best mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So true! It's so nice having "mommy friends". I wish we had a group like that around here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great group of women! It's great you found them and they found you. Nothing like advice from a fellow mom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post! Sounds like a great group of women! Mommy friends rock thats why I love all of you mom bloggers, you actually get me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so awesome that you have such great friends! I hope that I can find some type of group like that one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been feeling this way so much lately. It is amazing how much I am able to connect with women just because of this giant belly of mine. When people aren't making obnoxious comments, they are often coming up to me and a conversation about pregnancy and motherhood begins. It is an obvious connection and a much smoother conversation topic than the weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheers to all the moms out there! I love this post! What an amazing support system, filled with strong, smart women.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips