Thursday, March 6, 2014

Friendships That Last a Lifetime

I've written many times about my view on friendships and how they change and evolve as we age.  I take all friendships for what they are, and don't take anything personally anymore.

As adults, it's hard to find those friendships that are more than skin deep.  I personally struggle with making that deeper connection.  As my wise friend said, she tries not to get to know people better because most of the time she finds things about that person that she doesn't like or agrees with. Cynical maybe? Yes. Realistic? Yes.

Just because your kids are the same age or you run in the same circles doesn't automatically throw you in the "besties" category.

Just because you worked or grew up with someone doesn't mean you'll keep in touch forever.

It's just the cycle of life, and we all experience it. We all get busy with marriage, kids, jobs, and life in general.

However I do have a few friends that no matter when we talk or get together it's just like where we left off. This weekend two of my friends that I grew up came up for just a night, and we had the best time.


We started the evening off at BeStyled a new local hair blow out place. I had purchased buy one, get one free back when the had their Valentine's Day sale. Seriously if I could get my hair done like this every day, I SO WOULD. As we relaxed, we enjoyed mimosas and watched Eat, Love, Pray on their big screen. Great book by the way!

We then headed to the hotel downtown and checked in. We have this neat little area called Market Square which has stores, restaurants, and in the summer all kinds of concerts and activities. We went to eat at this lovely restaurant Cafe 4 where my friend said she had the best BBQ sandwich of her life. Needless to say, we will be back!

We then headed to a coffee shop around the corner.  It was easy.  It was relaxing.  And it was fun!  We don't have to impress each other or struggle to connect.  It's just there. For me, these are the best friendships to have!


Do you have friends that you can just pick up where you left off?

Natalie

17 comments:

  1. Yes! My best friend and I are the same way. We can go months without taking and see each other and it's just like yesterday we saw each other last. So carefree and amazing how that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome for you guys!! what a great night that sounds like. and you hair does look fabulous!

    I had to leave the friends I had known a long time behind. Sadly, I just couldn't continue down the same path I had been traveling. They weren't really bad people or anything -- I just had to leave that life behind to get this one. Which leaves me without that "friend since forever", but that's okay: I've found great new friends that supported me and encouraged me to be the person I wanted to be. And that's a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a great time!
    Girlfriends are the best, especially the ones when everything is effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a wonderful time with your friends. I agree that that many friendships come and go; they fill a purpose in our life at the time, and then we move onward. I have a best friend that lives about 6 hours away. We met in college, and we both consider ourselves the sisters we never had. (She has two brothers, and I have no siblings.) It seems that no longer how much time that goes by, we can still end up talking on the phone for hours (and still do), and we still try to find time to visit each other at least once per year if not more. Real, long-lasting friendships are definitely the ones to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two friends from college (actually one of those is from 7th grade) that are like that. I don't see them often...they live on the other side of the country...but they are two of my closest friends. I might go quite a while without talking to them due to the craziness of day to day lives, but it doesn't matter...we can pick up right where we left off. I love having that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are times when I miss my friends! It sounds like you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely and it's the best feeling in the world when you get back with those friends after a long hiatus. This reminds me that I need to plan a trip to Florida to see one of my besties!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. None that long, but a few from college and several friends that I've made in recent years and, now that I'm working full time again, don't see as frequently. We can pick up and catch up in a brief outing. Sounds like you had a really fun visit with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun time!! I think you're right. Friendship is different when you are an adult. Age doesn't matter as much, more that you are in a similar stage in life. (as well as compatible). It can be hard to make a deeper connecting because everyone is so busy with life. It's challenging!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been blessed to have some fantastic friendships thru my life and many that have stood the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those friendships!! So glad you guys had a great time!! Sounds like a nice relaxing night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are the absolute beset friendships. When it's easy and genuine - that's perfection. I have a couple of friends like that. I cherish those relationships!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hair does look fantastic! I'm glad you had a good time with the girls!

    We move so often that I do occasionally find it hard to make a deep connection with people. I typically pick a select few people and work on cultivating those relationships vs hanging with a large group of semi-friends. It's just easier that way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do have friends like this back in Texas, where I used to live and some from college as well. I like that it is easy to catch up even though it's been a while since we've spoken or connected. I'm so glad you were able to do that recently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So chic!great post! i really enjoy your blog


    Do you want to follow each other on instagram? I'm Chic Street Choc ! Thank uuu
    FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
    CHIC STREET CHOC

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so awesome! I do have a couple of friends like that but we all live too far apart to really ever get together. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I would love to have someone always do my hair for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look fab! It would be great if these hair blow out places did home visits! I treasure those effortless friendships too. I don't get to meet those friends as often these days but the times we do meet are precious indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips