Have you ever felt that some people are happier being negative? And I am not talking about people being real about a certain situation or the occasional rant. I am talking about people who always seem to be trying to find the worst in other people.
I have seen it a lot online lately and before I would say I was maybe not aware of it since I'm not a huge blogger in the world of blogging so I don't think I'm a target for any of this type of abuse.
I find it strange that some people actually take the time to just tear down other people. People they don't even know! I get that some people are not fabulous writers and that is ok. Some people start blogs just for record keeping or for their families. But I have seen many people made fun of because they weren't entertaining enough.
I know everyone is entitled to an opinions but what good is it to just want to make someone else feel bad? Someone else who is doing nothing to hurt you?
I've always thought if you don't like someone's blog you can always not read it. No one is forcing you to do so. I think it's fine if you make a comment to a spouse or a close friend because that's human nature. But to actually take the time to type it up to just seems hateful don't you think?
I worry that social media, the internet, and just technology in general has made society desensitized and that some people just hide behind their computers and type ugly things about others. And for what? To try to make themselves feel better?
What do you think? Do you feel that some people find joy in tearing others down?
Natalie
I never get it, either. The internet SHOULD be the easiest place ever to be civil. If you don't like something someone writes, if you don't like their opinion, then click away. It's even easier than IRL where you might look rude for walking away from someone and so you're forced to try to be polite. Online, we can click away and no one will be the wiser.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with this. There is absolutely no need to tear someone down online.
DeleteIt can be hard to think of a face on a computer screen as a real person and it can be easy to feel anonymous when you can't see a person face to face. I think these things come together to make the Internet an easy place for meanness and bullying. I much prefer to remember the parts of the internet that drawn me closer to people. xo
ReplyDeleteI've heard of it and I don't get it. If I were offended and/or bored and/or something else negative, I would either stay away or read without commenting.
ReplyDeleteI think there's a name for people who are just out to cause trouble while hiding behind a computer. Trolls!
Yes it is so crazy when people attack others like that; I just don't get it either. I totally agree though that too many people find it too easy to hide behind their screen and say things that they (I sure hope) would never say to someone's face. There have been many blogs that I just don't connect with or don't really like for one reason or the other and I just click away. No need to be mean
ReplyDeleteYes, I think this happens, sadly. I've seen it. I know one blogger who was nothing but negative on her own blog and then posted negative, argumentative comments just to be the negative writer. I used to think she wasn't understood. Then she came to my home town and I realized…. this is just WHO she is! A negative person and we cut ties.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, you can't always do that with family if they are the negative influence. I just try to stay away from those.. or you get the people who crave drama and that can be just as negative. Facebook can bring out the best or worst… and will definitely be an eye-opener. I think Facebook brings out the "inner child" in a lot of adults and it's scary to see just how many bullies there are out there!
I think that it happens, but I don't get it either. It is so much easier to close the page and click away, I just don't understand what someone could gain by being rude and confrontational.
ReplyDeleteMy mantra is this: do not say something online, that you would not say to someone's face.
ReplyDeleteIt makes me sad when people hide behind their computers and spout hatred.
You are so right. Typing mean things into a computer is so much easier than saying mean things to someone's face. I think that's part of why people do it. It's just so easy. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteI think some people are just negative and unhappy and get their kicks trying to bring other people down. They've never figured out that making other people miserable doesn't actually make them happier. (or if it does, that's sick) I really like Twitter and Pinterest, but I'm not a huge FB fan because there is so much of that kind of negative there. --Lisa
It's sad that some people get their kicks like that and the ability to be anonymous gives so many the power to do so when they probably wouldn't dare say anything close if they were face-to-face. I agree with the "if you have nothing nice to say, just close the page." No good comes of posting negativity.
ReplyDeletePeople feel like they have anonymity behind the screen, but also, I do think there are some people who are just so angry/bitter/negative that it's all they know. I feel like they think there isn't "enough" to go around so therefore they can't share any goodness. It seems like it takes a lot more energy to be negative and for what? It really doesn't do anyone any good.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if it's joy as much as they themselves don't feel good about themselves and this is their way of justifying their own feelings. On the flip side I've also seen some people (when I say seen I mean online) go out of their way to ignite this type of behavior because it does raise their popularity to be controversial in a way that makes people talk about them. But if it's someone who who is just being genuine, and you can tell from their daily writing, it's just mean and it really won't make the person doing the hateful things feel any better in the long run.
ReplyDeleteI do feel like some people are that way, and it is SO unfortunate. And some people are SO that way that if it wasn't a blogger or blogging they would find some other people to target or way to do it.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you that if someone doesn't like something online they should just stop reading it and not be openly rude. I know I have. And no one got hurt. :)
Yes I agree with you. I think some people feel better when they are being mean to others...sad. You are right, they don't have to read or comment if they don't like something.
ReplyDeleteMost definitely. I suspect that is the only way some know how to feel good about their own selves. Although, I don't quite understand how that works -- assuming you have an ounce of compassion. Some people are just filled with rage and hate - and it just spews forth unchecked.
ReplyDeleteWe always hate what we fear the most, don't we? And I suspect those that are targets, are probably doing something right and the ugly green monster jealous aims right for them. sad.
I'm thankful that I have found wonderful, talented, funny, smart women like yourself to visit each week. I feel raised up, encouraged, and empowered: that's who I have chosen to surround myself with here - as in real life. :)
I agree with you completely. Social media intensifies the "mean girl/boy" persona because, like you said, it's so much easier behind the veil of your computer screen. The whole reason I got online to begin with was to make new friends...not to witness others being torn down.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen this happen to a blogger, nor have I ever been the target {thank goodness!} but I have seen it time and time again on Facebook. It's ridiculous that someone would think just because the words are typed instead of spoken that they aren't just as hateful and hurtful. Online bullying certainly isn't reserved solely for teens - adults are victims, too.
ReplyDeleteI've never witnessed this in blogging either, not being a "big" blogger as you say, but I've seen it occasionally on facebook. And then I wonder, what's the point in getting into a fight online. Whatever happened to common courtesy of meeting a person privately and working out those issues instead of being hateful in public?
ReplyDeleteonline and in real life I think there are a lot of people who do this. Knock people down to try to make themselves look / feel better. It is really sad that they are so insecure that is the only way they can make themselves feel better….
ReplyDeleteI'm with you in that if someone doesn't like my words or the words of someone else's, the easiest option they have is to not read me! I too worry about the desensitization social media has caused. It allows for this false sense of bravery that enables people to say things on line that they would NEVER say in real life. One of my toggles as a blogger is that I am so against the negatives of social media that I hesitate to be part of that world - but on a good day, blogs foster community and friendship - and I guess that's why I stay. Thought provoking post, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI don't get it either. I think some people don't feel good about themselves until they've torn someone else down.
ReplyDeleteCourage behind the screen. I've seen it and I think it's sad. I think it says more about them than it does what they are trying to say to the person. Why can't everyone just be nice?
ReplyDeleteI echo what's been said here.Hiding behind a screen and a fake name. Just click away! No one has to be nasty!
ReplyDeleteI so agree! I found GOMI recently and am completely disgusted by what people say on there about others. Misery loves company, I suppose.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it can be very disturbing to see the vitriol people can spew. Some months ago, a friend of mine wrote a blog post about a hot-button topic, and all of a sudden, I was seeing people who had *clearly* not read the post making very nasty comments about him. It made me so sad, because he had gone out on a limb to address an issue and people didn't even bother to read what he said before attacking him. I think it makes people feel better or superior or something.
ReplyDeleteI just try to be a force of good out there in wilderness. A little good can really make a difference!
It is very worrisome to think someone would take their time to intentionally hurt someone they don't even know. I think we are all desensitized for sure, social media certainly hasn't hurt, but I'll never figure out the reason behind the intention of being mean or attacking someone. I barely have time to keep up with the good, I cannot imagine putting all that effort into the negative.
ReplyDeleteI don't get it either. I once had someone say something really mean, and I couldn't understand the purpose. I think people get this strange sense of courage online and say things that they would never say face to face - so why say them? Why tear someone down?
ReplyDeleteThat's one thing I will never understand - why people feel the need to bring others down. If there isn't something that I don't like about a blog or if I don't like or agree with what a blogger said I will click the handy dandy little red 'x' in the corner. It's a heck of a lot easier than making a fuss about something I have no control over! It's unfortunate that there is so much negativity in the world, and especially when it comes to blogging.
ReplyDeleteSo true! I think people are much more brave when they are hiding behind the computer. It is so sad to me that people are willing to take to the time to make a negative comment on a blog or someone'e status update. Just move on, don't read it. In my opinion maturity plays a big role in knowing when to keep your thoughts to yourself. I do think that you gotta feel a little sorry for the person who had to brings someone else down in order to feel better about themselves. Just wish the world was more positive. Thank you for being a honest and positive Mama out there.
ReplyDeleteSome days I just don't get it but then most days nothing surprises me anymore of what people are capable of doing. It's sad really. I love to share most of the time and I love to encourage others; but then some people completely misconstrue everything you say/do. It's sad, really is.
ReplyDelete