This past weekend my friend Beth, her husband and their little boy came to visit us. We decided when we met up for lunch or dinner we would do so at a "family friendly" restaurant. When you have a 20 month old and an almost one year old, you never know what might happen.
The first night out we met up at Red Robin which I would definitely say is one of the most kid friendly establishments. When approaching the hostess, we told them we had 4 adults and 2 highchairs. They then replied, "So you have 6 people?" Yes we do have 6 people, and 2 of them are kids. When they finally called us up to seat us, they said, "Oh I thought you had 4 adults and two boosters....sorry we can't seat you now." Ummmm....ok now how does that make any sense? Wouldn't 2 highchairs be easier to have at the end of the table than having 6 seats? Apparently, Red Robin a place that has kids running around non-stop still doesn't understand how to handle 4 adults and 2 children.
At this point, I thought it was just this one hostess that couldn't get it right. Oh boy apparently this is an epidemic. We then went to Mimi's Cafe for lunch the next day which again is another family friendly restaurant. So instead of getting us a table they seat us at a booth where they think we can squeeze 2 highchairs at the end of the booth table. Let me answer this puzzle for you, NO it does not work. Again, this was totally the hostess's fault. If your job is to seat people all day long, don't you think you should know how to do it? The waiter couldn't believe they seated us here, and thankfully a nice group of ladies switched with us for a table. We were very thankful for nice people and a thoughtful waiter and had a good meal after all the confusion. I just didn't realize that seating 4 adults and 2 children would be rocket science...guess I'll have real fun when I add an infant to the mix!
I forgot to take any photos, but we had a great time. It was a good weekend even with the crazy restaurant drama :)
Hope you had a great weekend too!
This happens to us all the time!!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good time, regardless.
That makes no sense! Like you said, it's not rocket science. Maybe they have to be parents to "get" it.
ReplyDeletegeez! you're right, that makes no sense at all. and if its their only job is to seat people, then yeah, they should have that down pretty well. one would hope.
ReplyDeleteps love that you guys have a red robin and mimi's cafe too. love both places :)
Yea that didn't seem hard to understand...maybe a diagram
ReplyDeleteWould be helpful next time:-)
Oh my gosh. This kind of stuff irritates me to no end. I can't stand when people don't do their job correctly. I'm glad you had some nice people trade with you at MiMi's, though. (That's one of my favorite restaurants!)
ReplyDeleteThis happens to us all of the time too. Even when we call ahead to reserve the high chair in advance, people just don't get it.
ReplyDeleteHahahahaha I think people simply don't listen! But I'm glad that you were able to have an enjoyable weekend :)
ReplyDeleteWe run around with two other couples. And you wouldn't believe the chaos the ensues when you need six adults, one booster seat and two high chairs. I mean, like you said it's not rocket science. And one of the couples is due in January so soon enough we will be adding ANOTHER highchair to the mix. Facepalm.
ReplyDeleteGlad y'all were able to still have fun!!!
Lol! Um yea you cannot put two highchairs at the end of a booth. I think that is something that would be obvious to anyone let alone someone that is doing that for their job.
ReplyDeleteWe like Red Robin for family friendly too
You think they would know how to seat people with kids working in a restaurant.
ReplyDeleteYou really struck out with the hostesses this weekend! I'm glad you were able to have fun with your friends though!
ReplyDeleteInsane! Can't believe it happened twice to y'all! But hostesses have often asked us if W needed a booster and maybe now he's old enough but not months ago for sure! And they try to squeeze them in the worst places!
ReplyDeleteoh lawsy, don't even get me started on dining with 3. the combination of booster, high chair and colouring stuff makes most hostess head spin.
ReplyDeleteand you certainly don't want to hear me rant about how you cannot have more than 2 children in a hotel room....but you can have 6 adults..?? WT..?!!
How crazy!!!! We've been pretty lucky around here....but are totally finding that Addie is refusing the site of a high chair. We had to use the booster once and now she wont go back:)
ReplyDeleteHope you guys are having a wonderful week!!!
It doesn't sound that hard, but I sounds like it was!
ReplyDeleteIncredible~! I bet you those waiters have never had kids so they forget EVERY TIME... it's weird isn't it... But thinking back... (not being a waitress ever, so yes... they SHOULD know better) so... thinking back I remember not understanding how parents survived with such apparently impossible tasks like feeding a baby and feeding themselves LOL! ... I always felt sorry for my friends with children who were miserable (I believed they were) taking their children to places without the ability to enjoy life... LOL! ... I would've been a bad waitress too ;)
ReplyDeleteGlad you had fun, despite the confusion!
ReplyDeleteWe have had this happen to us- it shouldn't be so confusing,lol! I am glad you had a good time despite this!
ReplyDeleteThey just don't get it, do they? Anyway, at least you had fun- and a topic to blog about :)
ReplyDeleteSome people just don't think!
ReplyDeleteWow, that is a little weird..
ReplyDeleteOn the plus, I love Red Robin. I drink so many Freckled Lemonades.
Weird. I will agree that mimi's is a great choice for family friendly dining.
ReplyDelete