Friday, February 10, 2012

A Rant on Home Improvements

My husband and I have completed a lot of home improvement while living in our house for the past 6 years.  We first redid the kitchen---new tile floor to replace the linoleum, new honey maple cabinets to replace the white stock ones, new back splash, and of course new paint to replace the hideous green color that once covered the walls.  We built a huge deck to replace our relatively small square one.  We redid our guest bathroom that was almost painted white, ugly floors, and a pedestal sink.  We painted it a green/grey color, put in a new vanity with a new mirror, and replaced it with a really neat green and brown earthy tile.  Now we did all these ourselves, but we've also hired people to do jobs as well.

And here's where my rant comes in...I know you were just wanting to know!  We paid to have our cathedral ceiling and living room painted.  That went pretty well with no issues.  We replaced our roof the first time (we had hail damage and had to do it again a year later) and that went pretty smoothly.  But when it came to getting our hardwood floors refinished, we ran into some issues...and there are definitely some spots that I was unhappy with at completion.  But at that time I was 8 months pregnant and ready for it to just be done.  Then we had our deck painted after we finished building it.  We had to call the crew to come back to fix several spots they just missed painting.  They also almost didn't start the job due to the fact we had asked for them to sand out some rough spots.  Seriously?  It was pretty crazy, and the day they were supposed to start they didn't because of this issue.  I was probably almost 9 months pregnant at this time.  I kept thinking can't we catch a break? 

Now we are having new siding put on our house.  And here we go again!  We went through Lowe's and then of course they contract it out to someone they use.  This is where the fun begins.  Some of our materials are missing and some are the wrong color.  We told the contractor...we told the Lowe's guy...we've told the crew.  Guess what they put up yesterday?  The wrong color!  The contractor blames Lowe's, Lowe's guy says he didn't know we didn't get the right color and that the contractor never told him, and the crew says that the contractor actually told them to go ahead and use the wrong color.  Does the contractor think we are going to drop this kind of cash and not say anything?  Um, no!  We want it done right, and they are the professionals.  Why is it always a struggle to have someone take responsibility of the job instead of playing the blame game on everyone involved?  So at this point it looks like the contractor is lying since the crew and the Lowe's guy are telling the same story.  So at this moment they are still putting up the wrong color---and we can't get a hold of the contractor.  But we did talk to the Lowe's guy, and he says he is going to take care of it. 

Is it to much to ask to have someone to do their job?  It would be like when I was working in the finance industry and someone thought they had a certain financial product but instead it was totally different.  Of course you can't do that!  So why can't it be the same with home improvements?  Why does it seem more stressful to hire someone to do the work than when you actually do it yourself?  You would think if you were doing the hard work yourself that it would be more stressful, but actually I have found it worse when we are hiring someone else.

Do you have the same problem?  Is it to much to ask for someone to do the job right the first time?

21 comments:

  1. Been there!!! For the most part me and the hubs do our own home improvement stuff. But sometimes, like with residing a house you've got to contract it out. I get it. We've run into the same issues with contractors before. In fact, we had a crew of plumbers do a $10,000 job not up to code and we would've never known had the city not happen to drive by and see them working with NO permit {which we also didn't know}. I don't understand how people can be so dishonest like that. I mean it's their JOB! Their reputation on the line! It's beyond frustrating.

    Hope y'all get things worked out mama! Try to enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no I hate those kind of frustrations!! Caleb is a firm believer in DIY... because he enjoys it, he saves money, and I think also because then he knows it will be done right. I have zero tolerance when people are incapable of doing their job right. How hard is that?! If they can't do it, time to find a new job!!

    I hope you can get ahold of the contractor and get everything straightened out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you! We are re-doing the house we just bought and it's one decision after another and then one loose end/follow up after another. It's really frustrating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, Natalie, how frustrating. I am so sorry. We've only had one major thing done that John didn't do himself -- our roof -- and it did take them FOREVER. So much of a pain in the ass!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That definitely justifies a rant, friend! I hope the rest of this project goes smoothly for you :) And I hope you have a happy weekend without any house drama-rama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ughh We haven't had to hire anyone to do a job yet.. We have been able to do it all ourselves so far.. but it seems to be the case with many people.. since it's not their house they dont care :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh! We're still renting so we don't really deal with these issues, but I can imagine it would be completely frustrating! Here's hoping everything works out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great! i love this blog...

    you could visit my blog too...

    kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes, gotta love the botched jobs. We had the WORST movers of all time in November. They flooded our house, cratched our furniture (probably 10 pieces) and the list goes on. Hope your luck changes soon. Post pictures of all your before and afters -

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no! That is awful! That would defnitely stress me out. How are they going to fix it? Take down all the wrong stuff and put the right stuff up? What a waste of the wrong stuff, but you don't deserve the wrong stuff, you deserve the right stuff! Ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't relate.....hubby does all ours by himself. It's a pretty fair barter system...if he with-holds or delays product:

    so do I.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is why my husband hates hiring people and why he'd rather do it himself. Of course he runs into his own snags too and it takes longer. It's hard finding reliable people to help out. Have you tried using Angie's List?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Home Depot! They are the best. Never had any problems with them.

    Housing stuff is so stressful as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry you have troubles. It is frustrating when you pay good money and get back a bad product :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes! We ran into issues when we had a hardwood floor redone as well. Now you have me scared because we're on the home search and I keep telling my husband it would be fun to find a house that needs a lot of improvement because then we get to do what we want. Maybe I'll take a second thought to that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sooo frustrating! When we rennovated we had huge probes with our contractor, not fun! Hope it all works out girl

    ReplyDelete
  17. That really is frustrating! I can't imagine what I'd do if I were in your shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a pain. I wish people would just live up to their mistakes instead of acting like it wasn't their fault.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I redid a house once and it was 6 months of hell :( I was so glad when it was all over.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sucks that you are paying so much money and people can't get their acts together. We have been lucky so far with our home improvements, *knock on wood*

    ReplyDelete
  21. man! that sounds like a major headache. we haven't done anything big to our house except for painting different rooms and we've done that ourselves. but when we get to a point of making big changes, i'd be scared to run into these types of problems... hopefully all is taken care of by now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips