I think my 3 year old is saying goodbye to nap times.
If we attempt it, it is met with tears , yelling, and has the potential of waking up little brother.
It is JUST NOT WORTH IT. He hasn't napped in weeks.
He's good about some quiet time and watching some shows, but enter the evening and he just gets SO CRAZY.
He becomes more defiant, more likely to be mean to his brother, and in general an emotional basket case.
I know he's almost 3 1/2, so it's totally normal for him to be possibly outgrowing his nap time.
But what do you do when the crazies come out? It's really emotionally exhausting!
Bedtime is definitely earlier, but what happens when it is summer and we're out enjoying it? Is he going to fall apart?
What did you do when your children outgrew their naps?
Natalie
He becomes more defiant, more likely to be mean to his brother, and in general an emotional basket case.
I know he's almost 3 1/2, so it's totally normal for him to be possibly outgrowing his nap time.
But what do you do when the crazies come out? It's really emotionally exhausting!
Bedtime is definitely earlier, but what happens when it is summer and we're out enjoying it? Is he going to fall apart?
What did you do when your children outgrew their naps?
Natalie


Can't wait to read the responses as I really don't know what I'd do without Drew's weekend naps! I'm assuming someday we'll be in your boat though!!
ReplyDeleteSet aside some quiet time, for both of you! The transition will take a little bit and he may likely still take a nap some days just because he's still tired after several day of no nap. Just keep to your other schedule as best you can with some exceptions of course!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a tough transition! Sammy still has quite time everyday and he is almost 7. I need it for my sanity but it helps for him to have some rest time as well. For quite time I make him stay in his room with no electronics. For a long time he would take a nap when he needed one and play with some toys or read books if he didn't. If he was cranky at night he would go to bed early. I found in the summer he would be okay to stay up and enjoy it but the next day he would take a nap on his own. I hope that helps some.. but it might not work for you guys!
ReplyDeleteDes still naps but Scarlet gave hers up around three or so. It was tough for me. I hate to answer this - but a quite half hour of TV became the norm for us. I'm not proud of it, but it worked for us!
ReplyDeleteSigh. My 4 year old has been skipping naps here and there for the past month. I've been deep in denial because, precious nap time. The last 2 days have been a whitewash, so I think he is truly ready to give it up. He's been really good with quiet time too, so I think I have to accept that it's bye bye nap time for him. SIGH.
ReplyDeleteUgh. I am dreading this! I'm so curious as to what you guys end up doing.
ReplyDeleteMine all gave up their naps before the age of 3 -- basically once a newer sibling arrived since I have 2 and a half years between my kids. The youngest hardly ever napped past about 18 months. She would scream and cry from her crib for an hour - I finally gave up because I was close to buying a shed in the woods and moving there to grow vegetables and sheep. seriously.
ReplyDeleteBut I found in a few weeks - with the earlier bedtime being a Must! - they all eventually got used to it and sorted themselves out. And every now and then a spontaneous nap might occur. Mostly, and this is hard I know, you have to give a little leeway during the transition. I found it went smoother when I recognized that they are not intentionally having bad behaviour, or being defiant, or down right Mean. they are just tired. so so tired. (and as a tired mom, I can SO relate)
impulse control goes right out the window. So all you can do is be patient, reinforce the rules consistently, follow through with consequences consistently, and teach them that even though they are tired and cranky -- they need to find alternate ways to express that.
And sometimes you have to give extra cuddles and hugs, when the meltdown is at it's loudest........and that shed in the woods is calling for you just as loudly! :)
Oh, honey, I remember this - with all 3 of mine! I think they eventually grow out of the crazies and it does mean earlier bed times - but they DO get used to going without the nap and it gets easier! I promise!
ReplyDeleteWe aren't there yet, but I feel for you! The days we have had to skip nap are ROUGH in the evening. Hang in there momma. Hoping he adjusts soon!
ReplyDeleteWe've been done with naps for a little over a year now. There is definitely still quiet time in the afternoon and that helps. Even if he doesn't sleep he seems to recover a little bit so that in the evening he is not such a cranky mess.
ReplyDeleteYEP! My son stopped napping right about 3 1/2. My daughter was even earlier....right before she turned 3. It's time. In one way it's fine because they sleep better at night and you can do things with them in the afternoon...but still....STILL. It's rough to lose that time that I used to get things done (even if all I got done was reading People Magazine.) --Lisa
ReplyDeleteMy son stopped napping within weeks after his 3rd birthday. I almost cried. We did try a quiet time and it worked for awhile. I think it would've gone better if I'd been more consistent about how it was handled. We did have to move his bedtime down about half an hour or he'd go crazy. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI was sad when my kids gave up their naps. My daughter gave hers up at 2. I was like, "But WHY, sweetheart? WHY?"
ReplyDeleteMy son said goodbye to them for good at 3, as well. It was a little rough at first, because it is an adjustment and he was tired at the end of the day. But he did get used to it after a bit. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteElaine said it perfectly. Plus once he learns he doesn't have to take one anymore and it is more his choice he might chose to take one still. That transition is hard, you may even have to move up bedtime a tiny bit until he gets more used to not having a nap
ReplyDelete