Tuesday, November 6, 2012

What Would You Do?

I know many of you probably have read about the tragedy that happened at the Pittsburgh Zoo.  I almost can't write this without getting tears in my eyes...thinking about how my Nolan is the same age as the two year old who fell in the wild dog exhibit and was mauled to death.

I feel bad for everyone involved, the mother and the family, the zoo, and the visitors that witnessed this tragic event.

Can you even imagine being there and watching that happen to a child?

After discussing it with my husband, we both agree if that had been Nolan we would have jumped in to try to rescue our child.

Maybe it would have been a futile effort, but I just don't know if I could have lived with myself while watching my son being attacked by the dogs. Those images would haunt me for the rest of my life.  I am actually surprised that no one did jump in, but I know I wasn't there to witness it so it's not my place to say.

It definitely is a freak accident, but it does show that it is our responsibility as parents to make sure we are always thinking of the safety of our children...because just when you let your guard down something terrible like this could happen.

So give your little ones an extra hug today and let them know you love them...because sometimes you just never know...


13 comments:

  1. It made me sick too when I heard that story. DH told me and I just had to cover my ears and tell him to stop. I just cannot imagine how that mother feels. So so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried when I heard about it. I am sure that my instincts would have kicked in as well as adrenaline and I would have jumped in. At least I think so. I guess you just don't know and I pray to God that I never do know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just terrible. I heard the momma is on suicide watch. I know I would have jumped in and died trying to save my baby. There are things that I am uncertain of in this world, but knowing that I would do everything I could down to my last breath to protect my child is one thing I am certain of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine. My heart breaks for everyone involved in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just breaks my heart. I feel like it would be instinctual to jump in and do something about it. Just devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I can't go read the story. It just hurts my heart. So sorry for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my. I hadn't heard this yet. I just read the story you linked to and I'm sick at my stomach just thinking about it. That poor, poor family.

    I agree with you, even if my rescue attempt were futile, I'd have jumped in. Oh gosh...I'm going to have to stop talking about this. Terrible, just terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a tragic story and I just cannot imagine what I would possibly do in that situation. My heart hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hubs and I were talking about this right after it happened as well.

    While I tend to think I would have jumped in, I don't know if it was even possible for her to. From what I remember of that exhibit, I didn't even think it was possible for someone to get in- and perhaps the boy just slipped through some small hole that the mom wouldn't have been able to fit in.

    Or that since there was zoo staff right there, she thought they would be able to get to him faster.

    I truly don't know.

    I posted about this yesterday on my fb page- and some are blaming the mom. My heart breaks- b/c all of us have done something that could have ended badly(they are blaming her for setting him up on the railing)- but I've done small things like left my child outside by himself for a minute- and while it's a safe neighborhood and my kids know not to leave the yard, still- something could happen and then people would blame me, you know?

    It's one of those there but for the Grace of God go I situations.

    Even though I majorly went off on a tangent here- can you tell this story has me greatly affected?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story breaks my heart. I can't even imagine what that poor family is going through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I cannot even imagine standing there and watching that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know what the enclosure looked like, but I most certainly would have at least tried to jump and save my child. Although, I wouldn't have had them up on the fence in the first place.

    It's awful, and tragic and horrifying to think how that child spent their last few moments on earth. I probably should stop...because my next thought is how it was the result of very bad judgement on his mother's part. I don't say that to wag a finger at her, but as a good warning to the rest of us: next time you are weighing the potential dangers of a situation your child may be in -- against the degree of inconvenience to yourself, or the avoidance of a tantrum -- remember this tragedy. I am sure we all roll that dice and gamble often; but as we see here - the odds are Not ever in our favour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG that is such heartbreaking, gutwrenching news (I never heard about that).
    I cannot even begin to imagine what that poor baby or his family went through, even the by-standers would have been traumatised...Oh I wish that this just didn't happen :(
    So sad.
    But like you, I would have done everything I could, I certainly know my husband would have jumped in!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips