So before you have kids, you love your dogs--but they still can annoy you.
After kids? Well you pretty much have no patience left for them.
I know, I know they are part of the family. But seriously, they must have the worst timing on the planet.
Let's take Molly for instance. She has really gotten whiny and super annoying in her old age. I swear every time I sit down on the couch, after both boys are down, the kitchen is clean----and all I want to do is sit on my comfy couch and watch my DVR....there is a constant whining at the door. Yep Molly needs to go out. Big surprise! She really does have impeccable timing.
So she'll go out to potty. Then you let her back in in like 5 seconds because this dog can't stand to be outside. Well the water dish is outside (oh you know after the 5th time your kid dumps it out, so that's where it stays to avoid water messes), so Molly can't kill two birds with one stone...she's got to make a SEPARATE trip for that.
And about 30 minutes later, she'll want to go out ONE MORE TIME.
On top of that, the other morning she woke me up at 2:30 AM to go out...and of course she woke the baby up.
Then at 5 AM she wanted to go out AGAIN...I'm like seriously dog I AM GOING TO KILL YOU! So I tell her to go back to bed just in time to here her throwing up. Fantastic.
And Teddy? Well he's pretty low maintenance. He's not a vocal dog like Molly, and he loves to play outside in our yard and protect his turf. About a month ago, we had a little visitor...a stinky one at that.
So I knew when he was rolling around on the ground like a crazy dog that it wasn't good. He now strongly smelled of skunk--I don't think he was sprayed but got close enough. The next day I did the DIY skunk smell remedy--peroxide, baking soda (what can baking soda not do???), and dish washing liquid. It did take some of it away, but it was mostly on his snout so I have to be very careful not to get it in his eyes.
Now every time he gets wet or damp from being outside...he smells like a skunk. So his bed has been moved to the kitchen for like the last month.
Do your dogs drive you crazy or is it just me?


Oh, but look how cute they are. We had to get rid of our cat after our first was born. He was just too high maintenance, and even though we loved him, we couldn't give him the attention he deserved. He is now in a very loving {childless} home.
ReplyDeleteYES!!! I love my dog. He's great... but he thinks that now that I'm home full-time, I'm here to open the patio door for him. And if we sit upstairs instead of going to the family room downstairs at night, he thinks we stayed up just to let him in and out all evening long. It's.so.fun.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I feel guilty that I am neglecting him too much now that we have kids, BUT then I remember his awful life before we got him. Dog's got it good!
Totally agree! Loved loved our dog, our first baby. But, after kids they seek your attention because 100% more than before.
ReplyDeleteThey are cute though!
aww they are so cute!! I will say it gets easier.. we use to find Tipsy to be super annoying.. barking during naptime etc.
ReplyDeleteTipsy is pretty low maintenance so she doesn't drive us nuts to much.. she begs for her dinner.. but I think this is because Tim has forgotten to feed her a few times (whoops).. I think she has done lately is have diarrhea on the floor in the middle of the night. It was the day before we had a yardsale. I pulled myself out of bad at way to early and stepped in it.. but I was so tired I didn't know what it was.. so I smeared my foot across the carpet!! *GAG* Usually she wakes us up if she has a tummy ache.. but we must have been sleeping super hard!
Oh man. I am sorry about the skunk incident. :( I always feel so guilty because I know I am neglecting my dog, but I just use up all my time and energy on the kids. :( I need to make more of an effort because he really is the most patient and gentle dog ever.
ReplyDeleteoh man, I so feel you! My dog is 15 years old...and I love him to pieces. But he is so annoying lately. And he poops all over the back deck!
ReplyDeleteBut their faces are just so cute ;) I can relate to this though. Just as you're about to relax, they need something. We're going to get another dog when we get a house, but in the mean time, one is enough.
ReplyDeleteohhh my goodness this reminds me why we don't want pets!! haha I would love to have a puppy but I know I would get SO fed up with it... especially after we have kids! We might have to change our minds once our little one is begging us for a pet, but for now we have a zero pet policy :)
ReplyDeleteAt least they're cute :)
ReplyDeleteI had to give up my cats when Monkey was 2 months old. I just couldn't give my attention and already depleted waking hours to them.
I do not have dogs.
ReplyDeletethis would be why. :)
Oh, Momma... I'm totally feeling your pain on this. We had to put our JRT on crazy pills just before and after Brynn's birth. He does well with her, but it's a total competition (for Oz) for my attention almost every day. And yes, they always seem to have the best timing with their "needy" moments... I wouldn't trade him for the world, but he definitely knows how to push my Crazy button sometimes. :)
ReplyDeleteYour little furbabies are just too cute for words.
Hahaha. I have four dogs and two cats and a toddler. Yes. I want to murder my dogs and cats on any given day, but then I also feel sorry for them because Evie takes up so much of our time.
ReplyDeleteWe had two dogs when the kids were little and before I became a mother they were my babies. After the kids came along the dogs took a back seat, you get busy, I know you understand. Anyway, yes they would annoy me, their quirky little ways lol But those little annoyances are now our fondest memories of them both :)
ReplyDeleteI think my sister in law said it best when she said " the dog got demoted to dog the day I got pregnant"
ReplyDeleteI had to dogs when my girls were little, they bother aged beyond their abilities and have crossed into the gates of doggy heaven but I completely agree with you -
Oh man, Natalie! That's nuts! How in the world do you put up with that...especially the night time stuff?
ReplyDeleteMy friend Sara had 2 cats and dog before she had her kids. After the first kid, the two cats found a new home. After the second kid, they're looking for a new home for their dog. she must have animals like yours. ;o)
Coco is the same. EVERY night during bedtime while we are reading to T, she absolutely has to pee. And I let her out first thing in the morning and then while I get T ready, she barks her head off to come back in (remember, we live in a mild climate!!)
ReplyDeleteTomato juice is the key for getting out skunk smell-- our dog growing up got spayed a few times.
ReplyDeleteI think that's why we don't have dogs yet. I just can't handle any extra to-dos! Plus when we go home for holidays and visits they would be such a pain! I'm sorry girl!
ReplyDelete