As Conley approaches the four month mark, I feel like I've learned a few things about being a mom to a newborn and a toddler. With some trial and error, I've somehow survived the first few months with only a few minor bumps and bruises. Well not literally but you catch my drift.
The Mornings-
I try to finish feeding Conley and change his diaper before Nolan gets up. Sometimes he'll fall back asleep, and I will use this time to get Nolan's breakfast ready. Nolan is usually up and just laying/playing in his crib, so I go and get him and change his diaper and out of his pajamas.
Leaving the House-
I always feel like no matter how hard I try to be somewhere on time, it never happens because either one of the boys poops or Conley spits up all over his outfit. I have just realized I am officially always on "mommy time" which means late. I change Nolan's diaper, feed Conley, change his diaper, put Conley in the infant car seat carrier, load Nolan in the car, and then go back and get Conley. I figured a strapped in toddler is easier than having him running around while I put the baby in--so Nolan is always first in the car. When we return from our outing, I take Conley in first then come back and get Nolan. I figure Conley in a carrier will get into a lot less trouble than a toddler running loose!
Grocery Stores-
I always, ALWAYS park next to a cart return. I think most of you mommies already know that rule, but when you have two it is even more crucial. I load Conley in the cart first, and then put Nolan in the car. He walks around the stores when we have Dad, but I know that I can't guarantee he'll stay by me when I'm alone so for safety and my sanity he's in the cart. I usually have tons of snacks-crackers or fruit/veggie pouches to distract him while we are there, or I'll here the words, "Nolan walk" a million times. When we leave the store, I always put Nolan in first then the baby. It's a real science my friends.
Dropping Nolan off to MDO-
Unfortunately the church that Nolan attends his MDO program has a long walk to his classroom. It's either stairs or the ramp, and since I have the baby I choose the winding ramp path. I have Nolan hold my hand, and I use the other hand to push the stroller. (I just use the car seat stroller, so I can just pop him in and back out to leave.)
Nap time-
Oh that precious nap time. I usually try to have Conley down before I put Nolan down. Today however was a different story. Thankfully Nolan has become accustomed to hearing a crying baby, so he doesn't protest when I'm putting him down while the baby is in a safe place testing out his lungs. It probably bugs me more than it does him! I use two sound machines, so during this time you will hear the ocean from two different rooms. I do whatever it takes from letting either of them wake each other up. Of course Conley naps more than Nolan, so it does get a little tricky when Nolan is trying to get my attention as I try to softly lay a sleeping Conley in his crib for his nap. I usually will wait to get up from rocking until Nolan is distracted or doing something so that he won't follow me.
Well there you have it---some food for thought! Now I do have a few questions for some of you experienced moms out there.
Conley is still sleeping in our room, but we are about to transition him into his crib. How do you keep the baby from waking up the toddler? During nap time I'm like a spider monkey and jump up to soothe him as soon as I hear him so that he doesn't wake Nolan. But at night, it's going to be more tricky. What are your tips?
Potty training will be in our future. How do you take a baby and a toddler together in a public restroom? All I keep thinking is yucky!
Please share your tips of handling multiple children :)
Sounds like you have things down to a science there :-)
ReplyDeletewow. i'm exhausted just following your day. kudos to you momma. kameron and aiden are 5yrs apart. so if ever in the future, i'll be the one taking tips from you! but sounds like you could use some momma/girls time! you need to schedule one soon! ;)
ReplyDeleteOur lives are parallel!! Except I rarely attempt shopping trips with both and I let Carter nap while holding him still....! :)
ReplyDeleteJuggling the kids at the store has been my biggest struggle. I'm mastering it more as time goes on, but seriously, I need 3 more sets of hands!
ReplyDeleteI remember this all too clearly. I actually miss having one so young when juggling two at the store because then at least one could stay strapped in the car seat and put in the cart. Now, I have Kendra up front of the cart and Jax usually in the bigger part. When he has to potty it is a mad dash with the cart into the bathroom. I try to leave kendra in the cart and push the whole thing in the restroom and and into the handicap stall. It is a constant juggle and on more than one occasion one has sprinted out the bathroom door. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteGreat tips! I will have to refer back to these very soon. Sounds like you are doing awesome momma!
ReplyDeleteOh Natalie, you have it all under control! Make sure though that if you ever have a bigger than expected order to pick up from Target that you use the loading dock and don't attempt to load it all into the cart, all the while trying to figure out where to put the collapsed stroller that you can no longer push because your hands are pushing the trolley and grasping an excited toddler's hand who just drops himself on the ground because he doesn't like the direction you're going in. Never ever rest your toddler on the handle of said cart because he refuses to walk by your side and can no longer fit into the main part of the trolley, because of said load of goods,undoubtably he will fall off resulting in banging his head on the ground whilst you're at the check-out counter. Just a tip ;)
ReplyDeleteI pretty much just frantically wrote all of this down. Great tips. I haven't yet attempted leaving the house with both girls and I'm a little terrified to do it alone.
ReplyDeleteAs you know, I haven't ventured out much with both of them at the same time. Now that the toddler is going to school, I have no choice! As we live in a condo, we have to take 2 elevators and walk down a ramp to get to the car, so I strap the baby in the Baby Bjorn and walk with the toddler. He can climb into the car by himself, and I strap him in. Then I unstrap the baby from me and put him his car seat. When we get out, I take the baby out first, then the toddler.
ReplyDeleteThe Baby Bjorn is a lifesaver!
I don't have advice on the sleeping and potty training - you let me know when you find out! Good luck!
Sounds like you've got it all down! I put the girls in the car first, too, then Mason, and they always get worried that I'm leaving Mason at home! Public potties with two kids--definitely use a baby carrier for Conlay; then you'll be hands free to help Nolan. My kids somehow always slept through the other one crying. It make take a bit of time to adjust but it will be worth it in the end. Hope that transition goes smoothly for you!
ReplyDeleteYup, I was there about six months ago. Actually having a potty trained toddler is a lifesaver when it comes to having a little extra time in the mornings. I didn't realize how much that extra diaper change really made a difference. If I usually always opt for the family restroom, or the handicap stall. Let's face it, public restrooms are disgusting anyway, even if you are alone with one. It is never a pleasant experience.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you've got it and I have no doubt you'll jump to the next stage brilliantly.
ReplyDeleteHope you are well.
Thanks for visiting :-)
Oh boy, I wish I had time to read others comments this morning but I don't so if this is a repeat I am so sorry! I have two daughters now 12 and 5 - when Hailey was an infant and beyond she was NOT a sleeper and constantly woke or kept her big sis awake. I have noise machines from England (yes England) that are very good at blocking sounds but not quite good enough for screaming babies. SO what did I do? I jumped when Hailey cried to try to save Lauren's sleep. BIG MISTAKE! Hailey is now 5 and still struggles sleeping. I wish I would have let big sis suffer a bit with the rest of us. It wold have been shorter term suffering in my opinion. SO - Whatever you decide is best for your family is up to you but my recommendation is if big brother wakes up because little brother cries let it happen a little eventually little brother and big brother will hopefully settle into routines and you will have a restful home!
ReplyDeletePS - my girly girls are 5 years apart so I didn't' get to do the potty training with a baby thing - All I can say is you seem pretty resourceful and well...I bet this falls into place for you!
ReplyDeletesounds like you already figured it all out. wow, reading all this makes me tired, i couldn't do all this. good job to you girl! hope all things will go well as you transition conley into his crib and potty train nolan. good luck!
ReplyDeleteYes the potty training is an issue.... I always just took the entire cart into the bathroom so I could leave the baby in the cart... and I didn't go out to restaurants or things like that unless I had another adult with me.
ReplyDeleteGetting out on time... that is a crazy thing every day! I remember one time I literally had to take 17 trips in order to get four children (two infants) and all their crap in the car. I was so tired by that time I just wanted to cancel whatever outing we were going on and get back in my jammies!!! eventually you find a good groove... and then you have a 3rd and realize two was easy! LOL.
Good job! And yes the more you do it the more tricks you will figure out.
ReplyDeleteMy kids always had their own room-- but all I know is once my kids are out they are out- so maybe a crying baby won't even wake him up at night.
I always wondered how people juggle two. Now I know...not so easily. You definitely have everything all planned out! I still run on "mommy time" and I only have one! You're certainly very busy these days :)
ReplyDeleteNatalie it sounds like you have really gotten down a good rhythm! Juggling two small children sounds like SO much work - but it's nice to know others have found a good system that works...most of the time ;) I think you're doing a great job!! I hope transitioning Conley into Nolan's room will go okay...and potty training! Three in a stall does sound like it could be interesting -ha!
ReplyDeleteYou are doing such a great job! I'm totally keeping this post for when we are juggling two around here! We have plans to keep the baby in his crib (right next to Wyatt) from the beginning. The best laid plans...
ReplyDeleteOh wow these are some seriously amazing tips! I know there's not a photo but I'm pinning it onto my must do for baby #2 board haha. You really are doing such a great job balancing toddler and newborn boys! Such a supermom :)
ReplyDeleteI dread public restrooms too, esp having a girl! Blech. It's why I love diapers.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I wonder if I'll ever leave the house once I have more than 1 kid. Sounds like you've got a system down, even though it is a lot of work I'm sure. But someday this season will be over and it'll get easier. You're doing a good job, Natalie!