Monday, March 26, 2012

A Challenging and Fun Age-Is That Even Possible?

Right now I am having so much fun with Nolan--but I am also having a challenging time too.  Oxymoron?  It's so exciting to see him have new experiences and how thrilled he is with the smallest every day things.  He literally runs throughout the house picking up random household objects and moves them to new places.  He's always trying to hold as many items as possible.  However, he is also at the age where he gets frustrated with his emotions becuase he doesn't know how to express himself or why he can't do certain things.  AKA just walking out the front door or the fact that he needs to hold mommy's hand when outside to cross the street.  Or the fact that everytime mommy and daddy are eating doesn't mean you need a piece of it.

This parenting gig is hard, and I know I'm just in the very beginning of it.  I realize now that you will be repeating yourself a million times...so I better get used to it.  I am already saying, "Don't get in the dog water," and "Say please and thank you."  It can definitely wear you out emotionally and mentally, but I know that in order to be a good parent being consistent is very important.  Let's just say I didn't know HOW MUCH they test you when they are at this age.

How did you deal with your children at this age?  (Nolan is 17 mos)

Hope everyone had a fun weekend!

37 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you, Natalie!! It's so amazing to see how much Brynn has learned in the last few weeks, but she has also become so independent... And with that comes a little defiance too. We have already implemented "Time Out" a couple of times {for 2 minutes}, and it has worked fairly well. I know she's still a little young, but she seems to grasp the concept fairly well.
    Here is a link:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_time-outs-how-to-make-them-work-12-to-24-mo_12252.bc

    Hope that helps a little bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is exhausting isn't it. I had no idea how hard it would be to be soooo consistent. Ugh, it wears me out just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had some good mommy advice for you, but unfortunately, I don't have any :( I'll be coming to you though when it's time for this girl to have babies :) Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hon, I know what this is like.

    It is challenging, but it CAN be fun. They're at the age where they're pushing the boundaries, asserting their independence and expressing themselves. Except they don't do the last one as well as we hope.

    My tip? Be patient. Know that this too shall pass. And try and enjoy all the fun stuff, as they're fleeting and go by too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie is the same way right now. She gets so mad when she can't communicate and just throws these awful tantrums. I remember with PJ too. It's so exciting once they hit 2 or so and can talk to you and tell you what they want or need!! The tantrums are much fewer and much shorter. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean. I love how at this age they learn something new every day. I get SO excited to witness it all. HOWEVER. Giada has those tantrums and collapses to the floor in a emotionally mess. Drives me nuts! But I'll take it, bc I know I'll miss all this one day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the first of the time when they start to let you know they really are their own little person.

    Patience and giving them choices (with results you want) are the best keys. Like if you are crossing the street you can ask, do you want to hold mommy left hand or right hand? Then he gets to choose, it is his choice but you get him holding your hand still. He is a little young to totally get it but they understand so much more than they can say. And that is a good habit to get into with the choices like that

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the EXACT same way as you and by the end of some days I feel defeated! Leah tests me ALL day long! We do the counting to 3 warning which works sometimes and then if she still doesn't listen we do time outs and it usually works!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aahhhh Natalie, you my friend have entered the 'terrible twos' as some would like to call it. Not that Nolan is terrible in any way shape or form, he is normal. Kids love to discover new things and test their boundaries (and often their mum's patience too!) I totally agree 100% with you, it is exhausting, constantly repeating yourself all the time. They are smart, crafty little beings lol and they know what they want from such a young age!
    You are a great mum, that is so evident, so yes, perservere! Things that you mentioned I had to smile at, because Liam is doing the exact same things. Often doing things he shouldn't but with a cheeky grin on his face to go with it!
    If it helps any, move a few items out of reach, I know they 'need to learn' not to touch, but seriously, pick your battles. It's not worth your time and energy to leave them there and then chase him with them.
    I had a 19 month old (Ryan) who REFUSED to hold my hand crossing the road and I often ended up carrying him under my arm lol whilst he struggled. He used to arch his back when I tried to put him in his pram! It was tiring. I looked forward to nap time (both him and me lol).
    I don't have any 'real' advice for you, maybe by my fourth child I might lol
    Just know that you are not alone, and Nolan is the same as every other child!! Love to you friend xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have answers girl! But I'm right there with you in trying to figure it out. I think we are going the time-out method too and have used it a few times. I think as he gets closer to two we will find it more useful.

    But taking a time-out with him to change activities or distract and calm him down has helped in the past months.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Day by day minute by minute and know that it gets easier!! If you deal with the stuff now it does make it easier and remember that when you are repeating yourself for the thousandth time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, it's rough. But at the same time, they're just figuring this world out. Out challenge is being patient with the process and making it fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am right there with you so I have no real advice. However, going through it with Hayley, I will tell you it is temporary. It will get better. Time outs when they get a little older works- they are developing their own personalities- it is a tough age. Hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm feeling your pain over here! Meyer has been doing a lot of "testing" lately and it's about to drive me nutty! It must be the age:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This age was interesting for us as well. Will started getting ear infections and began to show his emotions through tantrums...not fun. But, we had many great moments of discovery with nature walks, and they slowly learn things. Once you hit two, they really start to understand and can express things a bit better.
    I feel like if you have one of those touch museums near you, that would be a great place to start because that is easy for them to understand and you to explain to them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom gave birth to my THIRD sister a couple of weeks ago! I'm amazed at how fast babies grow up! It must be super exciting for you !

    http://olgasrecord.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have no idea how I made it past this stage with my oldest. But I'm in the middle of it with my youngest and she is even more stubborn than my oldest. Good luck to both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't have any tips or encouragement to give you but I've heard my sisters say time and time again how hard parenting is! i'm sure that you are doing an amazing job though Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. 18 months is one of my very favorite ages. They're still totally redirectable. That will change in the next 18 months. ;)

    I think, to answer your question, it's always a balance. Every age brings new awesome and new challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was just telling B this morning that this 1 year old thing is going to be so hard but so fun! Then I realized every age is that way. Tough but rewarding enough to keep you going. Stay strong, fight for patience and remember it's ok to need some just you time {aka find a babysitter}! Although, in a couple months, I'll be coming to you for tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl I'm right there too and Jackson is only 13 months.

    The biggest issue is communication for sure. Our little guys are getting frustrated because they want to tell us stuff but we don't understand. We're working on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are dealing with whining over here. I know she does it b/c she can't speak or express herself well. Plus she's not tall enough to get what she wants. But it makes me crazy when she whines all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Having been at this stage with the older one and now currently at it with my younger one- I yearn for the day that we are past it- my patience is wearing so thin right now and I'm seeing that I am not very "pretty" in how I react to some of the craziness but the good news is that it's just a phase! Hang in there mama!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I obviously have no advice, but I can't even imagine how tough it is! I'm worn out after hanging out with my 2 year old niece for just a few hours!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My only tip is to be patient. I know it's easier said than done, especially when they're pushing boundaries, but it will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know exactly what you mean! It can be exchausting really. Arm yourself with positive reinforcement, redirect, loads of patience and lots of hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so tired of listening to my self pointing out what not to do. I try reinforcing good behavior but sometimes it is all about damage control. Luckily our kids mostly remember hugs, kisses and giggles. I am so glad you are having fun with Nolan!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. They're just so inquisitive at that age. It's tough to find the balance between not dampening their spirit and keeping them safe. Exhausting to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mine is 15 months, and I understand your feelings exactly! He's so excited about all he's learning and discovering, but if someone walks out the front door and he's not allowed out? Total meltdown. If I try to hold his hand to walk up or down stairs? Shrieking. I don't remember this stage lasting too long with my girls. The only thing I've found helpful with him is to allow him to do some of the things that drive me crazy, funny as that sounds, even if it drives me crazy. It seems to make him happy to get to do what he wanted sometimes (like stick his hands in the dog's water bowl), and then he's not obsessed with it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh gal--i am right there with you--it can be a tough age when they can't exactly tell you what they want--but then it does pass quickly and they are jabbering up a storm. hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Not there yet but E is so stubborn I know it's gonna be a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds like your doing a great job. If you keep your cool everything will fall into place.
    Hope your feeling great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. For me it just got worst...or to put more positively, 'challenging' from 17 months onwards till they're about 2.5 or 3 yo. Just go with the flow and try not to lose your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It really is a day to day learning experience. We change, they change and all you can do is one day at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, girl. Just a lot of repetition. And getting rid of things mine could get into!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh yes, I remember this stage well, even though it was almost 8 years ago for me!

    You're going to feel like you NEVER get a break, and that's because you really don't. :o/ I was in school full time when my daughter hit this age and I remember wondering if I'd ever get a chance just to study for 10 minutes for a test, but if she was awake, I had to be on alert.

    The great part is, no matter how difficult a stage is, they always pass through it. And even though no stage is easier than the next, it offers something different to learn from and doesn't seem so overwhelming. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I remember this stage and I think from right around 18 months to now I have had the most fun. The only advice I have is to just be patient. The rough stage is only a phase as they learn to explore their world a little both more. Try to enjoy it as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips