Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Sickness Monster

I have been lucky for the past 3 years or so I have not been sick.  Not a cold or anything.  However the weekend of my birthday party I woke up with a sore throat.  I fought and fought from catching a cold, but alas I finally did get the sniffles.  I really tried to not give it to Nolan, but I think that's pretty much impossible when I am with him all day and preparing all his meals. 

On Sunday night, Nolan started getting a runny nose.  He pretty much woke up every hour of the night.  I thought ok it's because of the drainage and the runny nose that keeps bothering him.  That Monday he only napped 30 minutes in the morning and an hour in the afternoon.  He had really been in good spirits the whole day, so I thought hopefully he'll sleep well since he had such a rough night.

WRONG!!!  I put him down around 8:15pm, and he woke up at 9pm.  I tried ever trick in the book to help soothe him...from rocking him, standing up and holding him, swaddling him, feeding him, and he wasn't having any of it.  He literally cried from 9pm to almost 2am.  I really couldn't believe he wouldn't just pass out.  What's sad is I know he needs the rest to get better.  I even put some towels under his mattress to elevate it after many people online said elevation helps them sleep.  We sat in the bathroom in the steam as I ran the hot water in the shower.  We've done the saline drops for the nose.  Oh and I even bought a Vicks Heat Vaporizer which was an epic fail.  We have a little thermometer in his room that also measures the humidity...his room was 77 degrees and 75% humidity!  It was like an oven.  So needless to say we had to turn it off.  I guess the vaporizer can really support huge rooms.

Nothing is worse than seeing your child in pain, and you can't do anything to help.  I would have held him all night if that would have enabled to sleep but this child is no cuddler when he's sick.  What's worse is I'm not getting over my cold because I'm getting zero sleep as well.

Any tips out there dealing with colds?  I had no idea that a sick child could be worse than getting up with a newborn!  But I have been proven wrong!  He has no fever, hasn't been vomiting or diarrhea, just your basic snottiness and coughing.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

35 comments:

  1. Oh that's terrible and so hard on both of you. Sounds like you've done everything you can. I'm assuming you've given him Ibuprofen etc to take the edge off. I'm thinking things will be better tonight. Good luck and Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I have no tips yet, but I just anticipate how sad I will be when my baby gets sick for the first time. Feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I'm sorry. :( Sounds like you're doing everything I would be, so I have no advice. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dr told me a good rule is if it is interfering with sleep then to take him in- as there is the possibility of an ear infection. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Hope he gets better soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no!! Sick kiddos are the worst! You just feel terrible for them :(

    I'm no expert, but here are my suggestions. First, my Dr said that hot humidifiers are bad, and you should only use the cool mist ones. Definitely keep using the saline and the aspirator. I am a big fan of vicks vapo rub, and put it on babies chest. They make a vicks specifically for babies.

    Hope he gets feeling better soon. Take good care of YOU too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool mist humidifier, children's allergy medicine, saline drops and vicks vapor rub! I'll call you soon. Hope you get some sleep soon and keep the coffee pot going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I have no tips for you unfortunately! Drink LOTS OF WATER! That will help flush your system. I hope you two get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear you are both sick. That's no fun! We've had more than our share of colds here, so we have some experience. First of all, I switched to a cool mist humidifier (no added heat). A good one will allow you to set it on low so that you're adding just the right amount of moisture to the room. Just say no to those Vicks thingies you can add - they gum up the machine!

    I give my son saline drops (you can get a gentle mist for kids too).

    I also make warm orange juice with honey for my son when he is sick. Helps with sore throats and to loosen up phlegm: boil water, pour about 1/2 cup over tbsp of honey to melt, add juice of one fresh orange (strain first if your son doesn't like pulp). You can also add about a teaspoon or half teaspoon of apple cider vinegar - very good for fighting viral infections if the little one will take it. Not too noticeable in the warm OJ.

    Don't be afraid to use Tylenol or Advil to help with pain and sleep. Also, don't be afraid to take him to the doc - it may be nothing - that's why they are there to confirm that or help you sort out what you need to do if it's something else.

    I hope you are both better soon!

    By the way, I have started taking Astragulus (liquid - take it by the dropper) during cold season and it has definitely helped keep colds at bay and reduced my sick time. Tastes awful, but it's a powerful anti-viral.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ugh! I am so sorry! I don't have many tips either... the vapor bath by J&J is nice...there just aren't any medicines for this age :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! I hope you both start to feel better! I agree with the humidifier and saline drops to clear the drainage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! You poor thing! And your poor baby! Aiden has always had the cold/ drainage/ runny nose/ cough problem. It seems to reoccur every year around the cold seasons. I'm a huge believer of vicks vapor rub! That always helps him. The humidifier is a pain!! It helps for about a second. Without the high temps it really is hard to tell. Hang in there and keeping you guys in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son is sick too. I had to come to work exhausted because he barely slept last night. I tried some vicks babyrub on his chest to help him stop coughing. We tried that vaporizer before and it's too much so we got a cool mist humidifier. Works so much better. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This is rough! We haven't had anything like this yet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's awful when your kids are sick! here are my tips:

    1. keep sinuses clear and hydrated; i use hydrasense baby spray (http://hydrasense.ca/en/BabiesUltraGentleMist.php). it's a safe, saline solution. the only thing is that baby's hate it but it's good because it helps them breathe better. i've been through so many bottles of this they should give me frequent flyer points!

    2. aspirate! i don't bother using those useless bulb ones but i use the babyvac http://www.babyvac.ca/. i swear, best $20 i've ever spent. it sucks out all the snotty yuckiness and helps them breathe

    3. always run a humidifier in the room, even if baby isn't sick. i use a cool mist one (it doesn't make the room cold or anything).

    4. for coughs, i slather baby vicks vaporub on their back, chest and on their feet, then put socks on their feet. i swear, this works it's amazing. stops coughs fast!

    5. lots of fluids (BM or formula - which ever one your baby is eating) to help flush everything out

    6. check the ears at the doctor's office. sometimes with young babies/kids, the fluid build-up in the sinuses can remain in their little eustachian tubes and cause an ear infection simply because their tubes haven't elongated.

    if your baby is young (under 1 yr), no honey. i would also stay away from any OTC medicine and stick to natural ones. i like the Boiron line - they make remedies for babies.

    i know all this stuff bc my dd was sick a lot when she started daycare! those places are cesspools for infections!

    hope he gets better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I usually bring my sickies in bed with me- I know it's going to be a long night, but at least I don't have to get up to comfort them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so sorry to hear that you're both sick.

    What worked for Monkey is a cool mist humidifier - it helps with the congestion. Also make sure he gets lots of water during the day.

    Vicks VapoRub for babies also seemed to help somewhat.

    Hope you both get better soon! I'm battling the flu right now, fortunately it's just me, no one else is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH no! I'm so sorry that little man isn't feeling well :( Hope it passes soon and that you feel better as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always so sad when our babies are sick. I hope he gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sad. I hope he feels better so soon. It is so hard when they are sick:(

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my goodness-im so sorry y'all are going through all of that:( Addie has had a few colds but the things you have already done seemed to work for her...but our dr. did suggest the children's zyrtec once a day and that also seemed to help but thats all i got. I hope you guys start feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ugh, I'm so sorry. It's hard taking care of kids when they are sick, even harder when mama is sick. I've heard saline and suction and fluids. I'll send you an email with some stuff to try. Hopefully it'll work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Poor baby! I don't have much advice...so unfortunate I know!

    I do agree that you can give Ibuprofen or Tylenol to help him feel a bit better even without the fever.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry to hear you're both sick!

    Okay, here's what I do when my little ones have colds and I swear it works...I have no idea what the secret is about it but it does work!

    Rub some Vick's Vapor Rub on his feet and then cover his feet with socks. You can put some on his chest and back too if you want.

    I also use a cool mist humidifier. That seems to help.

    Hope you're both feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sorry you aren't feeling well! I've used a cool mist humidifier and Vick's baby rub on mine. Other than that, I just had to let it run its course.

    ReplyDelete
  25. No advice sorry!! But I do send virtual hugs to you and little Nolan, I hope you both get better very soon :( xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Natalie I'm so sorry! I hate seeing a little one sick!! I don't know of any good tricks for a cold, except the old wives' tales like have apple cider vinegar or put wet socks on your feet. I guess you could google them and try them out! I hope you both get better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. so hard--we have had it cycle our house a couple of times--no fun! get better asap!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sorry to hear about that! To clear a blocked nose the paed prescribed a natural salt water spray which I found to be very effective - it's called Sterimar nasal hygiene, a french product which I don't know if you can get over there. It helps clear the nasal passage and helps them sleep better at night. Also, I rub vicks on the bottom of their feet and put socks on them, also helps them sleep better. I know, it sucks when the kids are sick and even worse when you're not well too. I hope evryone will be better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is tough! When the boys are sick I always rely on a cool-mist humidifier (easy to find at Target or BB&B) and the saline drops. I have done the propping them up as well. Good luck! I hope you both are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's so hard when they're sick and you don't know what's wrong, especially at that age. Maybe you've already done this, but I would also have him checked for an ear infection. My son's ear drum ruptured once before I realized what was wrong. Hope you're both feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  31. We just went through this with my youngest. Sometimes you have to ride it out - which is no fun. And I always give mine Motrin before bed. Doesn't help with decongestion, but sometimes they have aches and pains too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is just so sad that he was feeling so miserable. The worst must be over by now though? I'm hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  33. When they have colds it is truly terrible! Ok, so definitely give Tylenol or ibuprofen here and there, especially before bed. The draining can hurt the throat. They have Vick's baby rub for the chest and back. You can go online and find "Little Noses" saline spray WITH DECONGESTANT. This was a God-send. Here's the thing: they used to sell it but took it off the shelves because of new regulations. But I took it to my pediatrician and she said that it would be totally safe to give him a dose before bed. It seemed to help dry him out a little. I think it's for 6 months and up. Did you mention putting his bedding at an angle?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Nat that is the worst! I hate it when they're sick. I would take him in to get checked for an ear infection. Bc those suckers hurt a LOT. They may give you some antibiotics and some ear drops that helps numb the pain. I hope you guys start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my goodness. poor Natalie and Nolan!! Since J started daycare he's pretty much been sick the entire time. It is AWFUL! SO here are my go-to remedies. Get rid of the heated vaporizer and just get a cooling humidifier. Much better, doesn't turn the room into a sauna. Next, give him the appropriate amount {ask your doc} of benadryl 3 times a day for at least 2-3 days. I thought my doctor was crazy but it REALLY helps and fights off infections. Put vapor rub on his chest and his back to help clear up his sinuses. For the screaming, tylenol or advil every time. If J has one of those won't sleep just crying moments the Tylenol helps within 30 minutes and he can get some rest.

    Hope this helps! Get some rest this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips