Nolan's party was great, and I was really happy with how everything turned out. I happened to be googling birthday themes when I came across the "Anchors Aweigh" theme. I thought it was super cute but at the time didn't realize how difficult it would be finding some items.
These were the decorations on the mantle. I took three old wooden frames that I have owned since college and spray painted them with the same blue spray paint that I had left over from a table we painted for Nolan's room. Then I ordered three 8 x 10's in black and white to put in them.
I found the metal tins at Hobby Lobby. I just put tissue paper at the bottom of the tin to look like water, and then placed some wooden boats I found at Hobby Lobby and some actual toy boats Nolan already owned. The pennant banner I made with card stock and ribbon from Hobby Lobby as well. If you would like the tutorial I used online to make this just write a comment or send me an email. Even I a left-handed, can't cut or draw a straight line kind of girl actual made this look decent! So I know you can do it!
For the "Happy 1st Birthday Banner Nolan," I decided to wrap a painting that I already had hanging in blue paper to cover it up and to give the banner a background. I actually got this idea from where I used to work...they used to do this at Christmas time to cover up the ugly paintings to make the office look more festive. I ordered the "Happy 1st Birthday Banner", "I Am One" high chair banner, cupcake toppers, and the confetti from an awesome Etsy shop called 10 Candles. I found her to be easy to work with, great designs, and reasonably priced. A lot of places on Etsy had some $30-$35 banners which was totally out of the question. I used a hole punch to put holes in the confetti so I could string it with a blue ribbon that I tied around the drinking glasses (which are blue glasses I already owned.)

I made all the Poms you see hanging from the chandelier and the ones on the mantle. I just used the Martha Stewart guide for this...which I've seen everyone pin on Pinterest. I actually was pretty impressed on how the turned out as well because when you start with tissue paper you have your doubts.
My mother-in-law made the table cloth on the main table with some fabric she bought at JoAnn's. It matched the theme perfectly! The cupcakes were a ginger apple cake flavor recipe that I made from Southern Living. They are perfect for fall and are so good. Again, let me know if you want the recipe, and I can email it to you.
Nolan's Jon Jon was from the Etsy shop FunStyle. I was really impressed with quality of the outfit. I just picked out one from her site and asked if she could add an anchor to the outfit, and she said no problem. She didn't even charge extra for it.
I made the cake from scratch with a simple white cake and icing recipe I found online. He seemed to enjoy it immensely!
He really racked up in the present department...I think I'll ban Christmas or I might have to buy a bigger house! He received this cute rocker giraffe from my brother and sister-in-law.Nolan had a great time, and I would have to say the party was a success. Now I better go clean the remnants of the birthday party that are still lingering throughout the house!
(Oh and after the party Nolan and Ethan thought it was more fun to trade snack catchers...because we all know the goldfish are way cooler when it is someone else's!)
Everything was wonderful! Ethan had a great time!
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT!!! So adorable...and Nolan looks like he had the best time!!! I too remember being SO relieved it was all over with but am still putting stuff away almost a month later:/
ReplyDeleteYou did and amazing job, momma - what a special day for a such a precious little boy:)
It looks so awesome Natalie. What a great job. Happy 1st Birthday Nolan!! :)
ReplyDeleteWow! You did a great job on the party! Congrats to you mama! It looks fantastic! :)
ReplyDeleteLooks great! Love every bit of it!
ReplyDeleteSuper cute, and super job mom! I love that anchor's theme.
ReplyDeleteIt turned out great and I love his matching outfit.
ReplyDeleteSo cute! I love this:-) He looks so chill eating his cake. Great job!!!
ReplyDeleteHow looks like your little man had an awesome party. You really did an amazing job putting up his party like that and doing some of the stuff from scratch.
ReplyDeleteYou did so great! I love it. I want the pennant tutorial!! I've already thought about doing that for Donut's bday. I haven't gotten further than that and I need to start planning now since I only have 2 months! Eek!
ReplyDeleteI am so dang impressed. You could definitely be a professional party planner! You did such a great job, and I'm sure that Nolan appreciated it ;)
ReplyDeleteIt all looks fabulous! Happy birthday to Nolan!
ReplyDeleteLooks like such a fantastic party!! Way to go mama!! He is absolutely adorable!!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great theme! Everything looks SO good!! That outfit he wore is too cute! And as far as cleaning up, it'll get done, don't worry too much about it!
ReplyDeleteAlso, random, but are you in Tn? I know that's where Laura is so I'm just curious, not a creeper, lol.
Happy birthday to your little one! The part looks like it turned out super cute...I'm seriously impressed!
ReplyDeleteThat is seriously the cutest 1st birthday nautical party I have ever seen. I'm impressed! Glad it all went well. :)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, those decorations are awesome!! You did such a great job!! The clean up is always a little depressing, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteI love it!! And you did such a good job with everything. I can totally tell you paid attention to every detail!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing his party with us :)
Wow. Such great attention to detail. Love the theme and you certainly put in a LOT of effort! Glad y'all had such a wonderful, successful party!
ReplyDeleteI love all of the details! Everything looks great!
ReplyDeleteI think you did amazing with all the decoration, cupcakes and birthday cake! Nolan looked like he had a great time!
ReplyDeleteEverything looked perfect, Natalie! You are super creative! We've never done birthday parties for our girls, but after seeing your pics, I'm considering it. Nolan's expressions while eating his cake are precious!
ReplyDeleteYour decorations are all so amazing!!! It looks so great! And Nolan, I mean could he get any cuter?!?! :)
ReplyDeletewhat an awesome theme! so unique and creative!
ReplyDeleteLove it! looks like Nolan had a blast! great job on the preparations Natalie!!!
Oh my goodness! Adorable...everything turned out so perfect. Nolan looked as handsome as ever! I'm loving his rockabye giraffe:) You did such an awesome job...now time to sit back, relax and enjoy your toddler!
ReplyDeleteNatalie everything looks so good! What a cute theme! I like the boats in the metal buckets on the mantle, and the banners and bunting all look great! I think my favorite is Nolan's adorable outfit!! How cute is he?!? And I love the pictures of him eating his cake - he seriously has the cutest smile! :) Great job on the party!!
ReplyDeleteI love it! All of the decorations look fantastic and it looks like Nolan had a blast! Happy Birthday Nolan!
ReplyDeleteYou did such an amazing job!!! I'm glad you snapped so many pics of it, and man oh man, is he a doll!
ReplyDeleteIt all looks amazing!! Great job!
ReplyDeleteThat is such a beautiful and fun looking 1st birthday party! Your decorations are just lovely and you did a great job with the banner and putting it all together for what I am sure was a wonderful day...He's soooo cute Natalie!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! You really did a great job! I need to get my butt in gear since there's no way I will be planning around the holidays.
ReplyDeletewhat a gorgeous party! i love the theme--and all the little details--go martha~
ReplyDelete