Friday, May 9, 2014

Transitions

Transitions.

Do kids ever get better at them?

I dread every time I have to tell my child we have to leave somewhere waiting for the "No!" knee jerk reaction.

I really have tried to start the process by saying we have 10 more minutes of play time in regards to leaving somewhere or going to bed. 

It has helped some. On some days. On other days the monster takes over my child, and he can't walk or yells or just plain out refuses.

IT DRIVES ME CRAZY! I just don't think it's such a big deal to say it's time to go, and then we go. But instead it's this whole song and dance routine. I know he's trying to show his independence and of course he doesn't want to leave a fun atmosphere. But geez! Does it ever get any easier? It really makes me want to not go anywhere ever again especially now that little brother is starting to throw fits when we leave places.

I am just not physically able to wrestle a 42 lb three year old or a 30 lb one year old. I seriously need some bigger muscles!


How about you? Do children transition better as they get older or is this something I'll be dealing with until they are teenagers?

Happy Friday!!!

Natalie

13 comments:

  1. We countdown too, but it is just touch and go! I am trying to find something exciting about the next phase to tell them about, so there is something to look forward- not just "in 10 minutes it's bedtime", but "in 10 minutes we get to go use our new toothpaste, read a story, sing some songs- sound good!?". It seems to work a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you 100% in this area!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately, my kids don't give me trouble with this. They love going out so when we say go, they're bolting out the door :)

    It will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! I have a 32 pound near five-year-old! She is small.
    These are generally ok, for some reason.
    I think I'm the one who is awful with transitions! I'm the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sammy use to struggle with this.. and it does get better. The warning system is good.. and what helped for us was positive response when he did a good job. We would talk about it for days! ;-) It might also help that Sammy is 7 and only 50 lbs :-P So I could man handle him for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are going through this with Jackson too! I am still searching for a solution. The warning system hasn't seemed to have much influence. Hoping we see these phase through soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lex doesn't make a fuss when I pick her up from a friend's house, but it takes about half an hour just to walk out the door because they keep giving each other hugs goodbye and finding other ways to prolong the process. So I hate to tell you this, but it still takes just as long even at 12!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My children are 10 and 6. I still give them the heads up countdown...don't know that I will ever stop. That will probably be awkward when they are in college! ;)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do the same thing: give about a 10 to 15 minute warning. No more than that or they forget. It worked nicely for awhile, but then the whining, screaming and oh good lord Planking on the floor like dead weight started again. So we actually didn't go anywhere for awhile, and explained to the kids that their behaviour at departure time was the reason they were not going fun places anymore. They actually missed out on several birthday parties they were invited to.
    We'd wait awhile and give them a test -- sometimes they would be okay, or 1 would freak out and the others fine. Whoever freaked out: you get to stay home next time.
    IT sucked HUGE to be house bound for awhile -- but they had to learn that when we say it's time to leave: that's it - time to go. We got strength to do it though because we have a friend who's child has been doing it since a toddler ---- and because they didn't do anything - it's still doing it. Every.Single.Time. Every.Where ---- and she's way past toddler now.
    Nay, Nay - we did not want that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep! We went through that over here. My son is better now but it's still no fun to go through the whole departure routine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son just doesn't do well with plans changing. He likes knowing where we're going and what to expect. If he thinks we're going home after school and then I tell him we're actually going to a friend's house for dinner, there is a moment where I'm not sure how he's going to respond. Sometimes it's positive, sometimes he gets upset. He's 7 and this has gone on pretty much his whole life. I think it's something in the personality. I don't respond well to change either. Maybe he even learned it from me somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My guy doesn't like change. I try to give him advanced warnings, but he still bulks at times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I try to start it before the "journey" even begins. Before we get somewhere I have the "talk" that when it's time to go it's time to go, otherwise there won't be any fun outings anymore. They still get agitated when the countdown begins but they don't start the song and dance at the end.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips