Wednesday, September 11, 2013

If You Travel with Me...

When we travel, we always book a condo since we travel with kiddos.  And since that's the case we usually cook at the condo for breakfast, lunch, and occasionally some dinners.

But as a frequent condo renter, I have learned a few things about myself.

---It drives me crazy to not have liquid hand soap with a pump.  I cannot stand it especially when I am cooking, and don't want to get everything dirty with my bacteria hands!  In the kitchen, we just had a handheld dish washing soap, and in the bathroom we had the bar soaps.  I didn't realize how much I relied on my trusty liquid hand soaps!

---I am weird about using different laundry detergents.  We brought our own, but I also used some that was provided.  I just don't feel like the clothes are as clean for some reason and ended up washing them again.

---Since this condo was on the beach, it had a little bit of a stuffy and moldly smell.  Nothing you noticed when you were there, but more so when you first arrived.  However when we left, all the clothes and even the clean clothes smelled liked the place.  Even my hair!  Needless to say I washed all the clothes AGAIN.  Oh and of course my hair.

---When staying on a beach, I am used to ceiling fans to circulate the air.  It just seems to go hand in hand.  But these condos didn't have any, and it just seemed stuffy.  Luckily, in our bedroom someone had already thought of that and purchased a stand up fan.

---I really think if you are a condo owner you should really supply your rental with the basics in the kitchen.  Nothing crazy...but coffee filters, salt and pepper, maybe even a few condiments.  I hate having to buy all these items just to not use them all, and then add even more items to my pack up list.

---Why is it that the plug ins at this rentals always seem to be like extremely dangerous or don't work? I swear everything single plug in had a crack or the plug would just fall out when I used it.

---It strongly annoys me when I flip a light switch and no lights come on.  All of the bedrooms had a switch but no overhead lights??? And it didn't turn the lamps on either.

What travel habits do you have or what drives you crazy at places you stay?


Natalie

17 comments:

  1. The hand soap is an issue with me...I do not like using those stinky little bars of soap and the smell of the place of course, if it's bad it just feels bad lol I do NOT like the blankets or coverlets in hotels, ugh don't get me started, I want to pull those things back with a pair of tongs!! And any traces of prior occupants, I can't stand it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're staying at a rented apartment and fortunately, we do have pump liquid soap, and tea/ coffee. It also has detergent but I prefer to buy my own since my oldest has sensitive skin.

    I am very squeamish about bathrooms, so toilets have to be squeaky clean, to MY standards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last one drives me crazy too. I do like staying at condos because then you can do a lot of your own cooking and save some money that way! I have cleaned bathrooms when I arrived at places!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really travel but I can see why all of these things would drive you crazy. The ceiling fans especially. The ones in my house are always on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea some of those things really seem like they should be taken care of. We have a time share that has condos all over the country, just use our points to stay and yes I must admit I really love having the extra bedrooms, full kitchen and all the luxuries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pillows. Ugh. I need good pillows.
    And I always wipe down the phone and the remote control.
    Other than that, I accept that everything else might not be quite up to my standards....I just try to keep that out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make good points. We are pretty much hotel people for the most part. That comes with its own issues, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The very first time we stayed at a condo in Orange Beach, we didn't realize they weren't going to have coffee filters, sugar or salt & pepper etc! Now we are much more prepared. But we ALWAYS pack a wine opener & a pizza cutter just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is funny because I stayed at a condo in Ocean City, MD a few times as a kid and it had like 17 air fresheners. We were always wondering what they were trying to hide! One of the air fresheners was a female clown doll (no lie) and we called her Mrs. Odorifica. I have no idea why I'm telling you this.

    On a related note, I was an Innkeeper for a B&B in San Francisco and it was the owners' mission to make everything so easy and perfect and there that no one would ever want to go elsewhere, and no one would find a thing to complain about. It mostly worked! We did supply huge apple pies every day and I'm sure that didn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I SO agree that the kitchen should have some basics. I mean, at least salt and pepper!?! I always feel like it's such a waste to buy things for such a short time and then they are just barely touched when we have to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am the same way when I travel. There are certain things of mind I have to bring! And unless I'm flying, I always bring my own pillows! Always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sincerely wish that hotels had ceiling fans. I'm so used to having that at home and then the air feels stuffy in a room. Now that we have a baby, I was just thinking today that when we go on another trip, staying at a condo or cabin would be better. Mainly because the baby likes a warm bottle and I want to be able to wash everything.

    But yes, I remember going to condo's on the beach and that mildew smell. Yucko!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ceiling fans are a MUST! Especially at a beach property. My parents own a home on the beach and if you don't run the fans all the time, it does get a little musty. I don't mind the smell so much as the way the air FEELS.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i seriously could have written the list myself! when we we went to turks and caicos this summer i was pregnant and super sensitive to smells... and our condo had that musty beach smell in the bathroom and it was the WORST!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I usually stay in hotels so I don't have all of these issues. As long as I have a comfortable bed I am happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think some of these things are the reason I'm often more comfortable in hotels...but we honestly don't travel enough for it to matter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never stayed at a condo during any of my travels; but I read through this post and comments and took away some great tips if ever we take that route in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips