And even if your are a working mom or a part-time working mom those kiddos are expensive! So that's why we're always looking for the best deals. Here's my 5 tips on how to save money once having kids:
1) Eat at home more--of course when they are babies you don't buy them food at restaurants, but even just you and your spouse's meal can add up. We rarely eat at a restaurant unless it's somewhere quick and somewhere we don't have to tip. Plus if you make food at home you can have leftovers that you can use for the next day. Not to mention it's healthier to eat at home and less processed. We also have our own square foot garden to grow some of our very own veggies.
2) Shop for clothes in the off season. I can't tell you how many deals I've found by just getting next year's size for my boys. We're talking like $2 for shirt or pants. Sometimes I find that to be a better deal than shopping at a consignment sale, plus it's new!
3) Find free activities to attend in your community. I've mentioned before we have a store called that has featured events that are free. Also visiting parks and many other museums are free. I think a lot of people miss out because they don't know these events exist--I stay connected by receiving newsletters or from Facebook pages.
4) Shopping stores that offer variety--like Family Dollar. I find that a store that isn't just a "specific item" store has more of a chance to offer you a bargain on many products because they have variety and more buying power. Where I grew up, we only had a few stores and Family Dollar was one of them. We found many great deals there.
5) DIY it. I know sometimes it can be more expensive to do it yourself, but most of the time you can find better deals on the materials for the project. We have completed a lot of our home improvements ourselves including: renovating our kitchen (cabinets, tile, paint, sink, etc.), building our own deck, renovating our guest bathroom (new vanity, tile, towel bar, paint, and toilet). It's amazing the money we've saved and how much we have increased the value of our home.
Now if you do have a baby in the house...like me, with two in diapers here's a great product and deal from Family Dollar:
Introducing the newest addition to the family of Kidgets products: Kidgets Baby Wipes! Available exclusively at Family Dollar, Kidgets baby wipes are made with a special three-layer fabric that is Thick, Strong, and Soft. Available in Unscented and Fresh Scent, they are the perfect addition to your changing table, car, or diaper bag. Convenient press-open lids make on-the-go changes a breeze!
Family Dollar's line of Kidgets diapers is also second to none. Family Dollar realizes that you want the best for your baby. That's why they developed Kidgets--a soft, absorbent diaper that's also a great value. With an ultra absorbent core, stretchable grip tabs, and cloth-like outer core, they are so sure that you'll love the Kidgets diaper that they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee!
Check Kidgets Diaper and Wipes products out today--only at Family Dollar!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Family Dollar.
Natalie

Mom budgets sure get tough! We are trying to plan for Baby #2 and budget is our biggest issue!
ReplyDeleteI'm in there about twice a month. I always buy my household cleaning supplies there!
ReplyDeleteI am with liz, cleaning supplies there are a lot cheaper!
ReplyDeleteSuch helpful ideas too, we definitely try and stick to those as well. Buying a size up, is the best...i have gotten so many great deals in the off season!
thanks for all the helpful ideas.
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas. I'm also shopping at thrift stores to find baby cloths and maternity cloths. I refuse to spend ridiculous amounts of money for cloths I'll only be in for so long.
ReplyDeleteFor me, I stopped working around the same time as you, but because of a layoff (change in ownership, wiped out half of the staff). I was looking for work, still am. We were used to two incomes. And about a year later, we were surprised with the pregnancy. Not planned, yet happy blessed news :)
Great tips. I always love to find ways to save money.
ReplyDeleteNice post! :) And I love love LOVE finding freebies in town. Makes me happy with where I live all over again...which is good, because moving is expensive. ;)
ReplyDeleteThese are great tips! We try to eat at home a lot too, and it really does save a ton of money! caleb also prefers homecooked foods, so it kind of works out :) I'll have to keep these wipes in mind for when babies start arriving here :)
ReplyDeleteKids are definitely expensive so always good to find ways to save money. I was explaining how much our entire meal cost the other day to Lucas (the one I made at home) and in the end it came out to about $2 a person and it was a great meal and then I told him how much it costs when we all go out- and I think he finally got it.
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas. I particularly like #1 and #5. Just this evening my husband fixed our leaking sink and saved us the plumbing fee. I've also told close friends I wouldn't mind wearing clothes that can't fit them that they want to give away! Our kids wear hand me downs, why not me I reckon :)
ReplyDelete