Monday, September 24, 2012

My Journey

My journey into the world of breastfeeding the first go around with Nolan started off on a bumpy road.  I kept feeling like he wasn't latching properly, my milk was slow to come in, and his weight was not gaining like it should be.  Not to mention the bleeding and cracking, and the straight up pain I was in every time I nursed him.  Oh wait, that might be too much for a Monday morning?  (Sorry about that my friends...hope you've had your coffee already!)

I was determined to keep trying.  I used my Lansinoh lanolin like it was going out of style, and I would try to nurse from one side and pump from the other in order to help heal.  We soon found a rhythm, and I started to gain my confidence.  It continued to become easier as he aged, and I realized we would be able to reach my goal of breastfeeding for a year. 

This time has been so different.  My milk came in much sooner, and Conley has been an excellent latcher.  I still had some pain in the beginning but after about a week it was gone, and we were doing great.  I'm a lot less stressed this go around, and apparently something is going right because this new baby boy is somewhat of a chunk!

For me, it is also important for me to get a break. So with Nolan I did pump so I could have milk stored up so my husband or my mother-in-law could feed him a bottle. Conley has already taken a bottle a few times and had no problem. We use the Tommy Tippee bottles that are supposed to be a good transition for breastfed babies. They worked great for Nolan, so I hope we have the same experience with Conley.

Isn't it amazing how things change the 2nd go around?  I've read so many blogs where the moms weren't able to breastfeed very long the first time, but now with the 2nd child they are so much more relaxed and have had such a pleasant experience this go around.  I think when we are first time mothers, we are constantly doubting ourselves and afraid of making mistakes.  By the time, we have a second kid, we realize we just need to trust our instincts and do what works best for our baby. 

Isn't it funny how life works that way?  We have to go through the experience first before we realize the answers were right in front of us the whole time.

 

21 comments:

  1. My first was a champion latcher and feeder - but I did have blocked ducts etc because we nursed lying down due to my bad back at the time.

    #2 had trouble latching for a week, and he had a lot of gas issues (probably related), so it was frustrating. Fortunately, we forged on and we're still happily nursing. He takes the bottle from my mother-in-law, although grudgingly!

    Glad to hear it's going well for you and Conley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! So happy that your experience is much better this time around! Breastfeeding was my biggest fear when I was pregnant... Not labor, but breastfeeding! Ha! Too crazy.

    Hope you all are doing well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope that this second time around we have a much smoother transition as well. With Giada I was in constant pain every time she ate or refused to eat for almost 2months.
    I'm so glad it's going so well for you this time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're having more success this time! My mom is a lactation consultant, so talking about boobs and milk is the norm for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember having so much trouble with my first. Everyone was around me, tossing out advice like it was their nipples under the gun!
    then I realized: make everyone get out! it's making you nervous and over-whelmed, of course the baby won't latch or feed. And as soon as it was just me and my wee babe : we did just fine.
    I have no problem with mothers nursing wherever they need to -- but for me, my first definitely wanted me all to himself; no distractions.
    #2 Would.Not.Latch. EVER. found out later she was tongue-tied - probably would have helped to know that then. But I pumped for 10 months - until the breast pump literally started smoking one day! ha.
    #3 so easy. anywhere. anytime. no pain. no worries. Truly was the charm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will was hard and eli was definitely easier!

    Sounds like you are getting into a great rhythm with the two boys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things took awhile to work with my son too, but boy did I love nursing him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, agreed! SO much easier the second time around. Glad you are having an easier time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it crazy how different it is the second time around. I'm so glad to hear to it is going so well for you. I only nursed my first for 4 months due to supply issues and the like and now I'm at 9 months with my second.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep- and the things you thought you learned the first time may turn out not to work the second time as every kid is differnt too. That is why us moms need to stick together and support not criticize as you just never know

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I was brealy able to breastfeed but want to try again with a second, this gives me such hope Natalie! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah! I am glad you are finding it easier. I definitely had a better experience the second time around. I was only able to nurse my son for three months and that was with supplementing with formula as well. With my daughter we nursed for a year. It was wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad this second go-round is going more smoothly! I've heard some real horror stories when it comes to breastfeeding but it's always good to hear an encouraging one :) Mothers do always seem less stressed by the time the second baby comes, it is funny how it works like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Night and day breastfeeding experiences for me! Sooo much better and easier this time thankfully!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you mean about the healing cream...I am definitely working on it...my little man is working on latching...he gets a little excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really hope the 2nd time is easier for me as well. It's so hard with the first one b/c you have NO clue what you're doing or what the baby is supposed to be doing. I was miserable and in so much pain. Thankfully we both figured it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad to hear that nursing is going well for you! It makes a huge difference. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this too. Mommas need to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved breastfeeding all three of mine. I am so happy you are having such a positive experience with your 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad to hear that it is going well with Conley! I agree that pumping and bottle feeding is important because it gives you a little bit of freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so happy you are having a much better experience this time! I love nursing... I do love the closeness and the bonding involved in the process.... sadly... I haven't been able to fully nurse ever... My first born, loved nursing but I never had enough milk, so she would only nurse for soothing and before taking a nap... my second one was my hope... I really thought things would go better but nope... she didn't even want me to hold her while feeding her... weird! everything is fine with her but she is just like that! it just didn't work no matter how much I tried... so... I sure get excited when I hear it goes well for others because I know how we, as moms, want that for our children! ... Natalie... I noticed you mentioned coffee, hopefully you'll link up on our Coffee Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so happy you had so much of a better experience. I hated bf so much I didn't do it at all with Zane. I just couldn't do it so I commend you to the up most degree!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips